Stephen Pearson

StephenDCFC

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manager Derek McInnes hopes to conclude a deal within 24 hours to extend Stephen Pearson's stay at Bristol City.

The Scottish midfielder has been on loan from Championship rivals Derby County, but that deal ended immediately after Tuesday's 1-0 win over Millwall.

Pearson, 29, scored the winner against leaders Southampton on Friday.

"Stephen has done very well for us - he was also the man of the match against Millwall - and he wants to stay," his compatriot, McInnes, told BBC Scotland.

Continue reading the main story

Stephen's loan finished today, so all my energies are going into that at the moment

Derek McInnes Bristol City manager

The manager, who switched to Ashton Gate from St Johnstone in October, has been linked with a January return to the Scottish Premier League for Saints striker Francisco Sandaza and Rangers full-back Kirk Broadfoot.

But, although McInnes is hoping to make two or three key signings during the transfer window, it appears unlikely that any of those will come from his homeland.

He did not wish to talk about players under contract with other clubs but last week publicly dismissed reports linking him with midfielder Ryan Stevenson, who has refused to play for Hearts because of the Edinburgh club's ongoing delay in paying wages.

"Stephen's loan finished today, so all my energies are going into that at the moment," stressed McInnes.

"I want him in the squad for Saturday."

Derby manager Nigel Clough watched Pearson against Millwall but expects the midfielder, who has 10 Scotland caps, to move to City this week in time to face Crawley Town in the third round of the FA Cup.

However, it remains uncertain whether that will be an extension of his loan or a permanent switch.

It appears to be dependent on Pearson coming to a financial arrangement with County to end his current contract.

What seems certain is that he will be joining McInnes's squad until the summer and could be offered a longer stay should his current form continue.

Pearson, who started his career with Motherwell before joining Celtic then switching to Derby in 2007, told the Robins' website he hopes to stay with the club.

"I'm just working as hard as I can," he said. "I'm really enjoying my time here at Bristol City, so hopefully we can sort something out.

"I've been at Derby for four or five years and get on well with Nigel Clough, but sometimes a change is probably for the best."

Pearson has made nine appearances since joining the Robins on loan in November and has helped McInnes' side move three points clear of the relegation spots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16419478.stm

I would play hard ball with Pearson, clearly wants a move and a pay-off but I bet he wants to play football more, so instead of letting him squeeze money out of us, lets play chicken with him... I don't think he'll want to rot in the reserves, rather than move on and get a new contract else where.

I would play hard ball with Pearson, clearly wants a move and a pay-off but I bet he wants to play football more, so instead of letting him squeeze money out of us, lets play chicken with him... I don't think he'll want to rot in the reserves, rather than move on and get a new contract else where.

If he was being a dick, maybe, but he seems like a decent bloke (for a ginger).

Derby County midfielder Stephen Pearson has today ended his five-year association with the club after agreeing to cancel his contract by mutual consent.

The 29-year-old Scot, who recently spent two months on loan at Derby's npower Championship rivals Bristol City, was due to be out of contract at the end of the season.

He joined Derby in January 2007 from Scottish Premier League giants Celtic and scored the winning goal in the Rams' Playoff Final win over West Bromwich Albion four months later.

In total Pearson made 127 appearances for Derby, scoring on five occasions, and his final appearance came in the Rams' Carling Cup tie against Shrewsbury Town in August.

Derby County thank Stephen for his services to the club and wish him well in the future.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2568108,00.html

He's a piece of Derby County history, and I'd be disappointed if he wasn't given a decent reception when we play against him in the future.

There's absolutely no reason not to give him a good reception. He hasn't gone down the A52, or to Leeds - he's just not right for us.

Glad he is off the books, very relieved about that.

He seemed like a decent guy, but so frustratingly **** at times!

1 in every 10 crosses would make it to the intended target, 8 in every 10 crosses would hit the first man and the other cross would be massively over hit!

He never had a shot from outside the box, and when he ran at players, he ran AT players... straight line it, the direction he runs in is train like, and his best asset is getting fouled, usually resorting in a free kick.

apart from that.. PEARO, PEARO, PEARO!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

oh and his first touch 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> makes Robinson look like Messi!

I would of loved him at Forest... Agent Pearson, and he wouldn't even know he was helping us relegate the *****!

There have been so many worse players at Derby that Stephen Pearson, so, so many.

Anyway, I don't think forest need any help in f*cking up.

There have been so many worse players at Derby that Stephen Pearson, so, so many.

Anyway, I don't think forest need any help in f*cking up.

I perhaps have bad memories of him, because he frustrated me so much, he used to make me feel sick and as time went on, I predicted every **** up down to a que, there was one game last season where he played very well though, but wasn't enough! I never knew why Teale got so much crap and Pearson didn't, Teale could actually put a ball in the box.

I perhaps have bad memories of him, because he frustrated me so much, he used to make me feel sick and as time went on, I predicted every **** up down to a que, there was one game last season where he played very well though, but wasn't enough! I never knew why Teale got so much crap and Pearson didn't, Teale could actually put a ball in the box.

Pearson wasn't a great player, I don't think he ever has been. I just don't think some of the stuff said on this forum is justified.

Jonathan Hunt - there was a **** footballer, if ever I saw one.

well he played once for us this season - and he was ******* awful - not alone mind - but awful none the less.

good luck to him but i'm glad he's gone.

Archived