MotoGP rider Marco Simoncelli has died

Day

Motor sport is in mourning for another star after MotoGP rider Marco Simoncelli was killed in a horror crash at the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Simoncelli came off his Honda on the second lap at Sepang and his spinning bike turned and ploughed into the oncoming Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi.

Both riders had no way of avoiding him at such high speeds, and Simoncelli's helmet came flying off in the ensuing pile-up.

He was treated quickly by medical staff after lying motionless on the track, although there were early reports that he was conscious in the track's medical centre.

But the official news of the 24-year-old's passing came half-an-hour after officials called off the race, with the other riders not prepared to go out while their colleague was fighting for his life.

The tragic news comes just seven days after British Indy Car driver Dan Wheldon was killed in a 15-car crash at Las Vegas.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell. How on earth did his helmet fly off?? That's really bad. RIP.

Before my son passed his advanced motorbike tests, he watched a series of safety vids, as well as some gruesome ones where riders have been decapitated but the helmet has stayed on. Horrible stuff and very frightening. He's training with police now but it still scares the hell out of me.

He wants a faster bike but I keep trying to put him off. I hope he never ends up wanting to race one, being on the roads is bad enough 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

These accidents are awful but thing is it's more dangerous on the roads. People with very limited skills without any care about others speedind, driving drunk, racing against their friends and doing all kind of stupid stunts, they are causing fatal accidents every day.

R.I.P. Simoncelli.

These accidents are awful but thing is it's more dangerous on the roads. People with very limited skills without any care about others speedind, driving drunk, racing against their friends and doing all kind of stupid stunts, they are causing fatal accidents every day.

R.I.P. Simoncelli.

That's not quite true.

Something like 1 in 200,000 motorists lose their life per year while it's more like 1 in 2,000 in motor racing. It sounds more common on the road because over half the world rides in a car every week.

It's a lot safer than it used to be and it's pretty difficult to kill yourself in a Formula 1 car, but make no mistake, it's still dangerous.

Archived