Clough new contract

ianm

It's alright writing columns in the local rag but if they don't get people talking where is the pressure coming from?

I think you are over estimating the power of those columns.

With the work done on the national's as well it has brought it all to a speedy conclusion.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say if there ever was any pressure it was entirely down to the national press and bookies. Not taking anything away from the Nicholson and Mortimer but alot they write can go unoticed unlike the stuff that comes out of the national media.

We will never know if any of it did add pressure, he's signed now and that's the main thing.

I'd say if there ever was any pressure it was entirely down to the national press and bookies. Not taking anything away from the Nicholson and Mortimer but alot they write can go unoticed unlike the stuff that comes out of the national media.

We will never know if any of it did add pressure, he's signed now and that's the main thing.

I think more people in Derby read the Telegraph than the nationals. I think what the Mirror did was say to Glick if you don't get these contracts on the table soon, then another club might. I don't anybody thought Forest was an option in the know but what if another club came in.

Really pleased about this. It's not always been great under Clough football-wise, but as a man he comes across as a likeable, morally-sound, family orientated chap - qualities I admire.

Yes - i know all players and managers say 'i love the club' and 'i don't want to be anywhere else' - but with NC - i believe it.

Cloughie played it well?

If Steve Mclaren hadn't been crap then there would have been no stories and no pressure and no worries and no arguments.

Agents take their opportunities when they come up. Steve leaving Forest opened up the opportunity for a bit of mischief making in the papers. Nigel was never going to go to Forest, you would have thought Glick even with his questionable English Football knowledge would have known that.

However it made it an issue that if another club came in with contract offers and Glick was dillitry in putting some proposals forward then "our man" would have some tough choices.

Glick: "Morning Nige, seen the papers today ?"

Clough: "No Tom, don't read 'em mi'sen."

Glick: "Some t*ss*r thinks you're going to Forest - are you?"

Clough "What a t**t, you know we all want to stay here. P'raps we'd better get the contracts sorted to shut em all up then."

Glick: "Next week OK, I'm a bit busy this week".

Clough "OK then, next week's fine"

One week later...........

Glick: "Well that's that sorted then, thanks Nige".

Clough: "Thanks Tom, I'll tell the lads its all done".

I would argue that Clough is more loyal than that. He spent 10 years at Burton without a contract. Only the pull of Championship club ie Derby made him move, that's also said Clough made sure Burton was seen right even tho they won't entitled to anything.

I think his time at Burton perfectly illustrates his style as a slow burner manager. The benefit of that is a consistent sense of stability at wherever he managers, but the flip-side is it will never bring the instant gratification or success of big spending 'boom or bust' manager's like BD.

Unfortunately that means Clough's approach will never endear him to fans who lack patience or expect a promotion push year-on-year.

He got Burton to the finish line eventually (with plenty of time and patient building) and he can do the same at Derby.

I would have waited a few weeks

only two wins in the last seven, and a stiff few games to come.

Would have waited till the end of the season, that's when he should be judged.

Saying that, bet he aint on silly wages so paying his contract off probably wouldnt be impossible.

We will be closer but closer is not good enough, his job is to get those finances under control and the club self-sustaining. If we did not get the wages below £16.4 wages would be above total turnover now. TV income is now comparitive peanuts 65m between 72 clubs and going down again next year.

Absolute nonsense, read the accounts before quoting figures that are based on a guess, where do you get the 16.4m from?

The last accounts show 29.7m turnover as well for the record. 48.5m during the Prem season

Archived