A bit like Man Utd

Toadbelly

Does anyone else see similarities between our Nige's managerial style and that of Mr. Ferguson? More so than with his old man for example although I am no expert on that being just a young pup....relative to some of you old farts i mean.

He likes his team to be solid at the back.

His team tends to have a very strong work ethic and team spirit.

He is not afraid to let his superstars go.

His team attacks with pace and venom as opposed to slow build up.

His players play as a team and want to be there.

When he feels he has made a mistake with a player, he lets them go (E.g. Obertan and Moxey)

When he feels he is right about a player, he sticks with him despite what the fans think (Berbatov and Savage)

He believes in giving youth a chance and feels strongly that the club should generate its own talent as well as bring it in from outside.

He is a one team manager.

Now, I know that for some of these we are not there yet but I think we are on course. And if we are not going to play like Arsenal, I'll certainly take playing like Man Utd as a good second.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting theory. I must point out though that neither of them are 'one team managers'. Ferguson had major success at Aberdeen before joining Manure.

Another similarity (Burton).

I like that theory Toadbelly,I like it a lot.:D

And there's nowt wrong with trying to emulate Fergie,even if on a different scale.

Not saying it's what's happening just saying.So put yer neck in folks.;):p:D

We've only been solid at the back for a very small amount of games whilst he's been at the club. I'm sure every manager would "like" to be strong at the back. Still early days if this defence is capable of carrying on the form.

Did they work very hard last season or the season before?

I presume you mean Commons and Hulse? both were out his hands due to contracts and financial reasons. Nothing like Fergie selling Stam and Beckham.

Least attempts on goal in the league this season, Man Utd would probably beat the amount we've had in 1 game.

Can't argue with that although we have got a few players that won't be that happy being at Derby outside the main squad.

When he feels he has made a mistake with a player, he lets them go (E.g. Obertan and Moxey)

Can't argue with that although not sure what mistake Obertan made, didn't Fergie just think he wasn't good enough in general? never heard him publically slate him like Clough did with Moxey.

When he feels he is right about a player, he sticks with him despite what the fans think (Berbatov and Savage)

Man Utd fans liked Berbatov didn't they? abit lazy but was the top goalscorer last season where as Savage.....

He believes in giving youth a chance and feels strongly that the club should generate its own talent as well as bring it in from outside.

Maybe but I can't help but feel that Hendrick and O'Brien wouldn't be anywhere near the first team this season if it wasn't for injuries and not bringing in an experienced defensive midfielder.

Interesting theory. I must point out though that neither of them are 'one team managers'. Ferguson had major success at Aberdeen before joining Manure.

Indeed - Aberdeen being the last team from outside Glasgow to win the league up there, an achievement in itself.

I think Toadbelly's analysis of the comparisons between Ferguson and Clough are factually flawed and poorly reasoned.

It took Ferguson 3 and 1/2 seasons and a huge budget to get United performing....Clough has done it in 2 and 1/2 years by spending nowt.....:D

I think this season we are comparable to Man Utd in the way we set out, we look hard to beat and look very organised and we are sensible in the way we go about our business.

the first half season Clough was here we were similar, picked up a downbeat team and got them organised and playing sensible stuff, although our defence was very poor and was always looked like it was going to cost us goals, the season after that was dull IMO we did 'alright' in parts and bad in others without excelling, the season after we started off like Accrington Stanley, came into our own started to play like Arsenal and then slowly dropped off into playing like Nottingham Forest under 9s which saw us drop from 4th to 19th, scary when you think about it.

This season we are set up the right way, I just nothing upsets the apple cart because it would be so disappointing to see, the most enjoyable thing at the minute is our strength in depth, the youngsters showing they're more than capable at playing at the top of this division and just how hard to beat we are, keep up like this I don't know if we will conceed another goal this season (i jest of course :D)

We've only been solid at the back for a very small amount of games whilst he's been at the club. I'm sure every manager would "like" to be strong at the back. Still early days if this defence is capable of carrying on the form.

I presume you mean Commons and Hulse? both were out his hands due to contracts and financial reasons. Nothing like Fergie selling Stam and Beckham.

Least attempts on goal in the league this season, Man Utd would probably beat the amount we've had in 1 game.

Can't argue with that although we have got a few players that won't be that happy being at Derby outside the main squad.

Can't argue with that although not sure what mistake Obertan made, didn't Fergie just think he wasn't good enough in general? never heard him publically slate him like Clough did with Moxey.

Man Utd fans liked Berbatov didn't they? abit lazy but was the top goalscorer last season where as Savage.....

Maybe but I can't help but feel that Hendrick and O'Brien wouldn't be anywhere near the first team this season if it wasn't for injuries and not bringing in an experienced defensive midfielder.

A good deconstruction of the argument there Daveo, and saved me the bother of thinking about it!

This forum has been getting soooooooo boring recently (success breeds boredom obviously) so nice to get some debate going again. Anyway, back to my analysis.

Before I trash Daveo's reply :p, I should clarify that I am not saying that Cloughie has us playing like Man U, but that he seems to be pursuing a similar philosophy albeit in very different circumstances (budget, division, etc).

Ok. Here goes.

You can see that Nige is trying to get us there though - two of his biggest signings so far have been central defenders.

No and how did NC feel about this? He has been trying to get this work ethic instilled in the team since day one and seems, finally, to be succeeding.

I believe NC could have kept Commons if really pushed the board for it but he wanted rid of the fat lazy git so let him go with nary a whisper of complaint.

Last season Man Utd had the best goals to shots ratio in the Prem - about 1 in 6. It's about style.

All teams have players that don't fit or don't work out but Nige has been able to keep players interested even when he seems to be shunning them, like Cywka and Croft for example. Spending a lot of time on the sidelines but still desperate to play. Despite publicly criticizing players, they still want to play for him. I suspect his man management skills are better than we think.

By mistake, was referring to the manager realizing he made an error signing a player, not the player making a mistake.

When on the road, I listen to TalkSport quite a bit and for ages ManUtd fans complained about Berbatov and how useless he is. They seemed to come round last year. Still not sure why Nige stuck with Sav but it is undeniable that he did. Probably for lack of better options...

But look at the players he signs...lots of youth there. Clough is not a Jewell...thank god.

They have both managed 2 clubs but neither will move until they are let go or feel it is in the club's best interest. They both LOVE their club and don;t have a wandering eye is what I mean.

Talk abit p*ssing on someones bonfire..

Lighten up you miserable sod.. We're exactly like Man Utd, except we play better football of course :rolleyes:

most stupid post ever.

How do you know what Sir Alex's style is.

or Mr Cloughs for that matter.

Errrr....From watching their teams play? Most stupid post ever? I'm honored but I think you are doing a disservice to some of the talent on this forum.

And to the rest of you...

Srg: I presume you are accusing me of wild optimism? :) Guilty.

Rezner: Thank you...nice to see I'm not the only one who can see what is going on at Pride Park ;)

Uttux: Exactly my friend :rolleyes:

Ambitious: Stunning analysis sir.

EastKent: We may not have arrived at our destination but we are enroute

Vulcan: pfffft.....sheep! :)

Emj: I do.

Bris: I'm not 100% positive but do I detect a smidge of sarcasm in your post?

No because we don't score our winners in injury time and the referee doesn't give every single ******* decision in our favour.

Haha...thats why we'll never be as good as them! For instance, we'd have never got the decisions Forest got against Lessta let alone United's.

Never mind.........we don't fookin need 'em.

I don't know abut you lot but watching last night's game was a bit eery.

3-0 win

Average age 23

Perfect record so far this year

Sell-out crowd

One team was wearing black and white (confusing that)

Over half the starting 11 were English

Never mind the style of the football played!! :rolleyes:

Archived