Are we just papering over cracks at the min?

DCFC_4_LIFE

I am loving the unbeaten start to the season but im just worried is it papering over cracks? It did seem to me before the season we need a proper striker(which now davies seems to be doing fine! And a DM (which bailey hendrick and bryson seem to be doing ok).

I feel after renewing my season ticket on basis glick said money would be spent i feel a bit let down by the board. Theyve sold varney and recouped his wages and savages wages. And Porters!

So there hasnt been any 'real' investment in my opinion!?

Im just worried that the form will continue till after the aug deadline.

I really hope the form does continue dont get me wrong because im not used to it being a derby fan!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am loving the unbeaten start to the season but im just worried is it papering over cracks? It did seem to me before the season we need a proper striker(which now davies seems to be doing fine! And a DM (which bailey hendrick and bryson seem to be doing ok).

I feel after renewing my season ticket on basis glick said money would be spent i feel a bit let down by the board. Theyve sold varney and recouped his wages and savages wages. And Porters!

I really hope the form does continue dont get me wrong because im not used to it being a derby fan!

Not another thread with the same argument.

I tend to agree but just because our team doesn't look a threat on paper doesn't mean anything to me, in my opinion we have a good team and when you look how things are going, steve davies is doing a job of a 2million pound championship striker and jeff hendrick is doing the job that we would expect any player coming in to do, like what Clough said when he was talking about Eustace and Hendrick, I thought he was bullshitting because Eustace deal was falling through, but on the evidence he was more than correct.

I do also have the feeling in the back of my mind that we should bring 2 players in, if not only for competition because it's extremely difficult for any player to keep this sort of form going for 46 games over 10 months, especially in that defensive midfield area, upfront I am not that fussed because we have a lot of different options, again whilst non are massive names they all offer something different and we make it hard for the other team, perhaps a big man on loan (like Howard) would be a good thing, completes the set.

We have a good solid squad. We were lucky in that during a defensive/midfield injury crisis, O'Brien and Hendrick were ready to step up.

Thanks to that we have not really needed any additional signings as yet. When January rolls in, there is plenty of time to assess again then.

Think a couple of 3-6 month loans in would do for now.

We need cover in the defensive midfield area. Loaning someone would in would give us cover here. Up front, we could do with an out and out target man, although Steve Davies is doing a stirling job there. Suppose that with Tyson to come back in and Maguire desperate for a chance to show what he could do, signing another striker might be counterproductive as it could lead to some dressing room unrest, if players aren't getting games. Loans would suffice for now. Maybe a third loan of a player who can cover right back.

Not sure if Riggot can play there?

If it was me I would be telling Glick to shove his transfer funds up his arse and leave my freakin team alone. Why change perfection? The boys have their tails up and are a real team now...resolute in defence (1 goal in 4 games) and clinical in attack (7 goals from 9 chance or something stupid). Papering over the cracks? You're 'avin' a laugh mate!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/335/5/e/troll_face_by_carlosrox-d3415jt

When fully fit, we surely have enough strikers? How can Nathan Tyson get in the side past Ward and S.Davies at the moment?

When fully fit, it'll be a real shame to see O'Brien dropped for Barker.

James Bailey looks excellent, bringing in another midfielder would limit the opportunities for Bryson and Hendrick, and I wouldn't want to see that.

I can see Roberts winning back the shirt from Kilbane, and I can see Addison coming back in January and giving us another serious option.

We have several options on each wing, yes I would concede their are better players in the championship than our current wide men, but ours are more than good enough to compete at this level.

I honestly can't see any signing happening, and I'm not convinced I'd want one, except possibly to cover our short-term injury levels.

Deja Vu. I see this after everytime we win.

When fully fit, it'll be a real shame to see O'Brien dropped for Barker.

agreed

James Bailey looks excellent, bringing in another midfielder would limit the opportunities for Bryson and Hendrick, and I wouldn't want to see that.

by playing Bailey alongside a younger player....he has matured

playing him as the junior player alongside a 30 year old would stifle him

I can see Roberts winning back the shirt from Kilbane, and I can see Addison coming back in January and giving us another serious option.

kilbane offers long throws the aerial threat and offers decent cover for the CBs....can't see what Roberts has thats any better

I honestly can't see any signing happening, and I'm not convinced I'd want one, except possibly to cover our short-term injury levels.

we're not desperate.....still think howard offers something though

Clough: Right then Mr Glick I need some more money for a striker and midfielder.

Glick: **** off you've won every game this season and you've got 10 players still out injured, buggah off you cheeky git.

Clough: but i saw this......

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11715_7107778,00.html

and they will still pay his wages just to get him out out of their hair for a bit :eek:

Glick: So he's free? I'll this negotiate myself...........

We still need a solid, experienced mid-fielder so we can control more of the play, more I think than we need a striker. We are not papering over the cracks at all, 4 games on the bounce isn't luck, but its a long hard season ahead. ;)

kilbane offers long throws the aerial threat and offers decent cover for the CBs....can't see what Roberts has thats any better

I wouldn't necessarily say Roberts is better, and in all honesty, my main negativity over the summer has been criticising Roberts and saying we should be buying a left back. Just something in my head tells me that Roberts will eventually be picked over Kilbane now that he has recovered from his injury. You make good points about his threats though.

Archived