The Moan In..

Ambitious

Its unrealistic but not impossible, Blackpool for one instance, they look a strong team now because of it and look at Norwich too, I had them down to finish just outside the Play-Offs (8th or 9th), and they go and get back to back promotions instead.

I'd be happy with a top half finish and a performance over the trees, maybe stretching it a bit for a double, but not impossible!

Oh and doing over Dirty Leeds.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if anyone knows our nige is that whatever he saysin public he still believes he can get us promoted. If he didn't he would not be doing the job. I'm not demanding we are top 6, I think we are pretty dreadfull, yet you have to Start the season believing you can reach at least the play offs, this league has shown anything can happen

We lack the experienced players with leadership qualities to go up. QPR had Clint Hill, Shaun Derry and they didn't sell their talented midfielder. We were lightweight and out battled at times on Saturday in midfield, we are nowhere near the balance and depth required to do really well in this division.

erm, Billy sharp is broken- I bet Glick is on the phone now as we still have physio bed spare

That he is.

Donny had bad injury problems last year.

Most of em having recovered over the off season. Plus they got two more injured in the opening game.

i think they have 9 out now.

and we thought we had it bad.

The injury curse obviously just strikes teams whose name begins with D.

Jim Smith once said

'you need to understand that there are two leagues in this division'

refering to the stranglehold that man u arsenal and the like had on the permiership.

I never understood this!

When I started following Derby, chelsea were in the 2nd, man u hadn't won the league in a million-trillion years and watford and luton were forces to be feared (ok, thats exagerating a tad)...:eek:

Teams that dominate football are fluid, even today despite the fact that money has all but ruined it.

My point being, and I know I will be called niave (or worse) is that we should always be aiming for the top of the tree - no matter how long it takes... we might even get a few 'Glory Nights' on the way.

Don't Stop Believing!

Jim Smith once said

'you need to understand that there are two leagues in this division'

refering to the stranglehold that man u arsenal and the like had on the permiership.

I never understood this!

When I started following Derby, chelsea were in the 2nd, man u hadn't won the league in a million-trillion years and watford and luton were forces to be feared (ok, thats exagerating a tad)...:eek:

Teams that dominate football are fluid, even today despite the fact that money has all but ruined it.

My point being, and I know I will be called niave (or worse) is that we should always be aiming for the top of the tree - no matter how long it takes... we might even get a few 'Glory Nights' on the way.

Don't Stop Believing!

You can aim for there, but realistically, you will only ever achieve it if you are bought by an arab.

We lack the experienced players with leadership qualities to go up. QPR had Clint Hill, Shaun Derry and they didn't sell their talented midfielder. We were lightweight and out battled at times on Saturday in midfield, we are nowhere near the balance and depth required to do really well in this division.

i dont think we lack leadership because the main thing that cloughs brought in this year are players with leadership attributes such as shakell, bryson add that to players like green and barker but fair enough experience we are lacking

I think the people who were demanding we be in the top six every season because we're Derby, and the ones who were seriously annoyed that Glick wouldn't sign Michael Owen, are idiots. You get most of them phoning in.

Look at the teams who're going to be top six this season. How many of those have spent big? And i'm talking alot of money, wages especially. We can hit 10th/12th and then push on next season. To be saying that we should manage 6th with this squad as a definite pre-requisite to Clough staying is utter rubbish.

We haven't got the squad to do so. I'm all for aiming to get there, which is what we should be doing, but to suggest Clough needs to go if we don't get there is rubbish.

I hate those bloody radio shows.

It was not long ago Alex you were telling me we were the biggest spenders within this division, and when we got Waghorn and Eustace we would have got all the targets Clough wanted.

Are you now saying Clough has not been backed enough to compete for the top 6, there is only one team at the moment who is spending big big money, the others are just competing and giving themselves every chance of promotion.

We should be aiming every year to compete at the top within this league, we have a big enough turnover in revenue to do so, however we won't and maybe the idiots are the ones that think mid to lower table is an acceptable level for us........just a thought

It was not long ago Alex you were telling me we were the biggest spenders within this division, and when we got Waghorn and Eustace we would have got all the targets Clough wanted.

Are you now saying Clough has not been backed enough to compete for the top 6, there is only one team at the moment who is spending big big money, the others are just competing and giving themselves every chance of promotion.

We should be aiming every year to compete at the top within this league, we have a big enough turnover in revenue to do so, however we won't and maybe the idiots are the ones that think mid to lower table is an acceptable level for us........just a thought

Not sure where everyone gets this misguided idea that your league position should be linked to your turnover?

In the past 20 or 30 years there have been very few teams that have actually been able to 'buy a league title'.

Sure money helps but only if you have got an endless supply of it which it appears we don't. That is why managers and academies are becoming more important these days and on that front maybe we are still a little behind other clubs.

I have never said that? I said we've had a decent summer of spending that hasn't ended yet, but the biggest? Leicester/Brighton/West Ham........ no way have I said the biggest.

I am saying that Clough has been backed enough (Or will be once he has a DM and striker) for this season. The others have alot of money, silly money, all three of them have alot of spending power, and West Ham are spurred on by the fact that they NEED to get out of this league or face being stuck here for a very long time.

Turnover has nothing to do with spending power. Our club is still running at a loss, which is covered by the investors. We should be aiming for as high as we can get, but with the current squad, top six would have to be a hell of a season.

Not sure where everyone gets this misguided idea that your league position should be linked to your turnover?

In the past 20 or 30 years there have been very few teams that have actually been able to 'buy a league title'.

Sure money helps but only if you have got an endless supply of it which it appears we don't. That is why managers and academies are becoming more important these days and on that front maybe we are still a little behind other clubs.

Never said it should, what I said is that with our turnover, we should be aiming for a top 6 finish.

When putting budgets together for the year, you use expected turnover as your starting point etc....depending on the money invested into the playing side of the team, you would look at where you expect to finish in the league, my point was and is that with the income we get compared to the likes of Barnsley we should be aiming for a high finish.

Whether we finish there is a different matter

I have never said that? I said we've had a decent summer of spending that hasn't ended yet, but the biggest? Leicester/Brighton/West Ham........ no way have I said the biggest.

I am saying that Clough has been backed enough (Or will be once he has a DM and striker) for this season. The others have alot of money, silly money, all three of them have alot of spending power, and West Ham are spurred on by the fact that they NEED to get out of this league or face being stuck here for a very long time.

Turnover has nothing to do with spending power. Our club is still running at a loss, which is covered by the investors. We should be aiming for as high as we can get, but with the current squad, top six would have to be a hell of a season.

Turnover has a lot to do with spending power, in any business or any walk of life

Annual Turnover is going to be a big thing shortly, as the wages will

have a percentage limit based on that - so theoretically the more fans

going to matches - the higher wages you can pay.

Looks good for us. especially now that we have and are increasing our

other income as well, more wages = better players ???

I felt like the vibe was

Clough doesn't finish in the top 6.. he should be sacked, I mean how unreasonable is that, seriously the last thing this club needs is another manager with new ideas coming in and going back to square one! I have always stood by that unless we're relegated, Clough should remain in charge but suppose everyone has their own opinion.

Can't beat the priceless idiots on the moan-in, who listen to the match on the radio then have the decency to phone up the radio station to have a pop at someone playing badly, etc, when they haven't even seen anything!

Can't beat the priceless idiots on the moan-in, who listen to the match on the radio then have the decency to phone up the radio station to have a pop at someone playing badly, etc, when they haven't even seen anything!

Like some on here. Yet some also say it wasnt anything to do with the manager even though they werent there

Archived