Which manager do you want?

Toadbelly

So you're trying to tell me he didn't have a say on wages??? Do you think that while Eggbert Eggersun or whatever he's called was negotiating the contracts he didn't once stop and ask Curbs his opinion on what they were worth???

A player asks for a specific wage and it's up to the boss to decide if he'll earn that wage and whether to sign him on those terms...

I think you will find especially at a lot of the prem sides that the manager doesnt deal with the agents to sort of personal terms its normally teh chief exec or the chairman. He will have input of course but he doesnt decide what the actual terms of his contract will be.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're trying to tell me he didn't have a say on wages??? Do you think that while Eggbert Eggersun or whatever he's called was negotiating the contracts he didn't once stop and ask Curbs his opinion on what they were worth???

A player asks for a specific wage and it's up to the boss to decide if he'll earn that wage and whether to sign him on those terms...

Curbishley resigned through board interference, so i'd say yes, they did the opposite to everything you wrote.

Curbishley resigned through board interference, so i'd say yes, they did the opposite to everything you wrote.

A report from the Daily Telegraph - 03/09/08

The former Charlton manager had guided West Ham to fifth in the league table after winning two out of three matches this season, but tensions with the club's Icelandic owners over transfer policy have been boiling behind the scenes.

Curbishley was unhappy at the sale of Anton Ferdinand and then, after he had declared that no more players would leave, George McCartney was unexpectedly sold on transfer window deadline day.

In a statement released via the League Managers' Association, he said: "I started my West Ham United career when I left school in 1974 and have remained a lifelong fan. I have been incredibly proud to manage such a great club and my decision to resign has been very tough.

"The selection of players is critical to the job of the manager and I had an agreement with the club that I alone would determine the composition of the squad.

"However, the club continued to make significant player decisions without involving me. In the end such a breach of trust and confidence meant that I had no option but to leave. Nevertheless, I wish the club and the players every success in the future."

He resigned because they sold Anton Ferdinand & George McCartney without his approval it doesn't say anything about the board paying renouned crocks an extortionate amount of cash to sit in the treatment room half the season and under perform on the pitch the other half...

Granted his record at Charlton was impressive but if he's that good a manager he'd have been back in work by now...

A report from the Daily Telegraph - 03/09/08

The former Charlton manager had guided West Ham to fifth in the league table after winning two out of three matches this season, but tensions with the club's Icelandic owners over transfer policy have been boiling behind the scenes.

Curbishley was unhappy at the sale of Anton Ferdinand and then, after he had declared that no more players would leave, George McCartney was unexpectedly sold on transfer window deadline day.

In a statement released via the League Managers' Association, he said: "I started my West Ham United career when I left school in 1974 and have remained a lifelong fan. I have been incredibly proud to manage such a great club and my decision to resign has been very tough.

"The selection of players is critical to the job of the manager and I had an agreement with the club that I alone would determine the composition of the squad.

"However, the club continued to make significant player decisions without involving me. In the end such a breach of trust and confidence meant that I had no option but to leave. Nevertheless, I wish the club and the players every success in the future."

He resigned because they sold Anton Ferdinand & George McCartney without his approval it doesn't say anything about the board paying renouned crocks an extortionate amount of cash to sit in the treatment room half the season and under perform on the pitch the other half...

Granted his record at Charlton was impressive but if he's that good a manager he'd have been back in work by now...

Well, if they're injured, isn't that when the insurance company comes in?

That's the kind of money that has to be spent to compete in the Premier League, that's why we failed.

You do talk some garbage mate sometimes, I suppose your beloved Clough, if he ever gets the chance, would sign a few from Burton and Crewe and think they were OK.

Keane survived the first season in the Premier, which is an immense achievement, mind you it pales into insignificance when put aside taking 8 years to get out of non-league.:D

He spent that kind of money in the championship, when they were bottom signings like David Connolly, Dwight Yorke..etc all in that last day he spent a lot of money, how can people forget that, along with that he spent an absolute fortune in the premiership and JUST managed to scave relegation, when I say alot Sunderland were the 3rd highest spending team in england that season, so you can't say it was all down to his mangerial qualities.

If Keane came here, I would care to bet we would be relegated either the season he came or the season after, I was hoping that Forest would go after him, shame they didn't.

Billy Davies is the best manager for the job by an absolute mile, that is the tough truth and Forest are only a week away from finding that out, they're in for an awful season, Clough is getting more and more experienced if we are relegated then fair enough but to bad mouth him for not competing at this level with the financial restrictions, we're a small club in this league now.. along similar lines as Barnsley, Coventry, Doncaster...etc

He spent that kind of money in the championship, when they were bottom signings like David Connolly, Dwight Yorke..etc all in that last day he spent a lot of money, how can people forget that, along with that he spent an absolute fortune in the premiership and JUST managed to scave relegation, when I say alot Sunderland were the 3rd highest spending team in england that season, so you can't say it was all down to his mangerial qualities.

If Keane came here, I would care to bet we would be relegated either the season he came or the season after, I was hoping that Forest would go after him, shame they didn't.

Billy Davies is the best manager for the job by an absolute mile, that is the tough truth and Forest are only a week away from finding that out, they're in for an awful season, Clough is getting more and more experienced if we are relegated then fair enough but to bad mouth him for not competing at this level with the financial restrictions, we're a small club in this league now.. along similar lines as Barnsley, Coventry, Doncaster...etc

Just remind me, what League are Sunderland still in, and why.

I will give you a clue, it is not through penny pinching, they are not bothered about making money out of the game, they just want to play in the best League in the World.

Just remind me, what League are Sunderland still in, and why.

I will give you a clue, it is not through penny pinching, they are not bothered about making money out of the game, they just want to play in the best League in the World.

How is that Cloughs fault? how would changing managers solve that problem, I don't get where you are coming at?

Of course I would love a board like Sunderland, where they can afford to spend 9million on a keeper and 6 million on a striker after getting promoted, or in Leicesters position where they can offer pay 30k a week in the championship, that is nothing to do with Clough, changing managers won't solve that.

Do you think Clough gets the best out of the players at his disposal which all the very good managers do and do you think he has a long term plan as after 2 and half seasons I still cant work it out. People talk like Clough has had no money at all yet not many sides have a million pound centre half in there side at this level never mind we now have 2.

Do you think Clough gets the best out of the players at his disposal which all the very good managers do and do you think he has a long term plan as after 2 and half seasons I still cant work it out.

If GSE tell him as much as they tell us, then he won't have a clue what's going on. One minute we're going for top 6, the next we can't get Eustace.

Do you think Clough gets the best out of the players at his disposal which all the very good managers do and do you think he has a long term plan as after 2 and half seasons I still cant work it out. People talk like Clough has had no money at all yet not many sides have a million pound centre half in there side at this level never mind we now have 2.

I think he is fairly good at that task, I would say there is a lot of senior professionals that can be greatful to him, look at Commons he was seen as a fat, lazy, injury prone and inconsistant but this season he set Commons up to have the best year ever in his career, he even turned Savages career around as everyone assumed he was done for then he got playing every week, whilst not amazing certainly better than what he had done in the past.

even players that have left, take a look at Hulse he was scoring for fun under Clough, under warnock he just hasn't got a clue and now a laughing stock down south then you look at Teale, who again it seemed like his Derby career was over but managed to create 11 goals in 4 months in Cloughs first few months here, pushing him upto one of the most creative players in the league and so on.

Certainly shook me to my core watching us play like we did early november, the players have never looked so good and that was down to Clough, but again we've had more patches of poor spells when the team has gone tits up.

like I said, I like him and I think a change in manager would only set us back 1 maybe even 2 years.

How is that Cloughs fault? how would changing managers solve that problem, I don't get where you are coming at?

Of course I would love a board like Sunderland, where they can afford to spend 9million on a keeper and 6 million on a striker after getting promoted, or in Leicesters position where they can offer pay 30k a week in the championship, that is nothing to do with Clough, changing managers won't solve that.

I am not saying it is Clough's fault, all I have been doing is defending Keane, he was asked to do a job, and did it, at Sunderland, and if you scrutinise his record at Ipswich, he drew many many games, and was a tad unlucky in that respect, and he did us 3 -1.

How did he get the best out of Commons?

One good month in 2 years isn't using him well, he sat in the stands for 6 months after they had a tiff.

Everyone knew our best partnership was Hulse and Commons, yet he hardly ever played them together.

I am not saying it is Clough's fault, all I have been doing is defending Keane, he was asked to do a job, and did it, at Sunderland, and if you scrutinise his record at Ipswich, he drew many many games, and was a tad unlucky in that respect, and he did us 3 -1.

Don't really understand the Keane bashing..

He inherited a squad that achieved 15 points in the PL and was bottom of the NPC.. (apparently it was destined for the PL - yeh right).. He bought well with a net spend of just over $1mill and won the league, going half the season unbeaten..

Paul Jewell on the other hand had more time, spent more money, yet failed..

Then Keane kept them up and gave them the platform to stay in The PL.. He spent 40mill, but you've got to remember he spent big on certain players who are still in the PL.. (Malbranque, Anton Ferdinand, Kenweyne Jones, Craig Gordon, Kieron Richardson, Phil Bardsley) this lot alone cost them $35mill.. Yet they're still comfortable PL players and doing well.. Therefore not as bad as some people think.

On the other hand Billy Davies spunked around $15mill and none of these are still in the PL (Earnshaw, Miller, Claude, Feilhaber etc.)

So in reality who did better? Keane hands down.

You've got a personal vendetta against him if you disagree, or you're in love with Clough/Billy. Would I want him now though? No.. But to mock his record is just wrong. He did a very good job at S'Land.

The day that ANY of the other 9 take over DERBY, will be the day i give up on them.

There is only so much pi55 taking that i can stand.

Just look at some of those names mentioned.

It's a suprise no one has asked for Paul Wince as well.

Ffs mun.

Nigel will come good.

Have faith.

Archived