Which manager do you want?

Toadbelly

Oh dear.. Roy Keane!?!?

I would be brought to tears if he came here, absolutely dreadful manager! He spent a good sum at Ipswich including 2million on Lee Martin, who turned out to be a massive duffer who isn't good enough for this division!

He spent a lot of money whereever he has been, how people say he didn't spend a lot at Sunderland is beyond me, he signed 6-7 players in one day and got through about 5-6million!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh dear.. Roy Keane!?!?

I would be brought to tears if he came here, absolutely dreadful manager! He spent a good sum at Ipswich including 2million on Lee Martin, who turned out to be a massive duffer who isn't good enough for this division!

He spent a lot of money whereever he has been, how people say he didn't spend a lot at Sunderland is beyond me, he signed 6-7 players in one day and got through about 5-6million!

That's the kind of money that has to be spent to compete in the Premier League, that's why we failed.

You do talk some garbage mate sometimes, I suppose your beloved Clough, if he ever gets the chance, would sign a few from Burton and Crewe and think they were OK.

Keane survived the first season in the Premier, which is an immense achievement, mind you it pales into insignificance when put aside taking 8 years to get out of non-league.:D

Doncaster

Peterborough

Brighton

Southampton

Barnsley

Coventry

Crystal Palace

Millwall

Watford

Bristol City

All of the above team have a smaller wage budget than us NOW.

Teams with a similar wage budget(according to Glick)

Leeds

Hull

So whatever this cost cutting argument is, it's not exactly valid. Yes, his resources have been tied up in certain players like Savage and Leacock and Pearson. But he extended their contracts.

The problem has been that he has been forced into extending contracts. To replace those names, we'd need to spend a couple of million to get their quality and ability if they were playing as we know they can. We don't have that money.

Roy Keane got a scarred team playing again.....we still have Leacock, Bywater and Pearson. All capable of playing at this level, but still aren't.

I'd still have Clough over all of them.

Nonsense my friend.. That team finished 20th in The PL with 15 points, they didn't win a home game all season, and had started the new campain losing the first 4 games in the league plus a 2-0 league cup defeat at Bury..

That team was as bad as ours in The PL (well 4 points better)..

Hate Roy Keane all you like, he alone rejuvenated them.. He bought in Carlos Edwards who was superb, he galvanised the likes of Dean Whitehead and Nyron Nosworthy.. His strikers did the business, he gave Ledbitter the chance to shine and he did.. His use of the loan market to get in Jonny Evans and Phil Bardsley from Man Utd was great.

Plus they played very good football, destryoing teams left right and centre.. Basically the same team that achieved 15 points in The PL.. He was a strong enough charactter to get the best out of his players..

He's done twice as much as Clough and Billy Davies in such a short space of time..

Yes he failed at Ipswich (failed finishing midtable), but his record at S'Land was top notch.

Clough better? His record doesnt say so.. What next, Barker is the best CB in the league? Some Derby fans have the biggest case of rose tinted glasses at times.

I STILL believe Roy Keane could be a top manager. Not sure what happened at Ipswich but never thought it was the right club for him to take over.

Seriously - if you're a player and Roy Keane asks you to do something his way, how could you not do it? Why would you question it? Why would you not want to work his way?

From the second he got his chance at Forest - the man has been a winner.

The worlds gone soft if Keaney can't manage because he is too aggressive, too demanding?

In my opinion he would just have to decide to be ok lowering his standards to those around him. And i can't see him doing that.

He'll get the Celtic job when Lennon leaves.

After all of that.... I still think NC will be the better manager.

I guess we don't have the Poll tool anymore, but we can still do a manual count.

If you could pick any of these currently available managers to start tomorrow, who would you go for...and why;

1. Nigel Clough

2. Billy Davies

3. George Burley

4. David Jones

5. Alan Curbishley

6. Iain Dowie

7. Paul Ince

8. Roy Keane

9. Brian Laws

10. Gordon Strachan

Keep it short.

Me: Nigel Clough - stability, ability, willingness to get stuck in and do the best he can with limited resources without whining about it, honour.

Out of all of these I'd only want Burley as he plays the right type of football, and can wheel & deal on a small budget which is a given with our board...

Wee Billy Winky - f**k right off!!! If The Red Dogs didn't have enough money for him to spend how could we...

Jones - Bottler, spends way too much...

Curbishley - Are you having a laugh, he nearly bankrupted West Ham paying the likes of Keiron Dyer £80k a week!!!

Dowie - ***** and you don't want a 40ft high visage of him slapped on the side of the stadium. It would cause multiple accidents.

Ince - Nowhere near good enough

Keane - Cheque Book manager and not a great judge of talent. Plus he's an absolute cnut!!!

Laws - Same as Ince

Strachan - Inherited a very good side from O'Neal at Celtic and pretty much any manager could coach them to a top two finish.

So that leaves us with our Nige. If the latest batch of signings spark consistently then I can see a safe mid table finish and an improvement in the style of play. If not then we'll struggle again and I think Glick may well decide enough is enough.

alex you said all keane had to do was motivate them, just take a look of our players from the prem who are still here? still think it is easy to motivate them after such a disaster and humiliation? Keane did a good job at sunderland and duffed it up at ipswich, laws would be an interesting bet, did well at sheffield wednesday, with similar restrictions and higher finishes than nigel and did well at ssausagehorpe, failed at burnley however.

I cant believe some people wouldnt want curbs as a boss, he didnt nearly backrupt west ham the board did, he didnt give out stupid contracts to teh players. He has done an amazing job at Charlton and there fans got what they deserved by calling for his head and at west ham he spent the money he was given but what manager doesnt? They wouldnt have gone down if he was still in charge

I cant believe some people wouldnt want curbs as a boss, he didnt nearly backrupt west ham the board did, he didnt give out stupid contracts to teh players. He has done an amazing job at Charlton and there fans got what they deserved by calling for his head and at west ham he spent the money he was given but what manager doesnt? They wouldnt have gone down if he was still in charge

I hope some of us Derby fans remember things like this!!!

thought Bueno was on loan??

Gus or Di Matteo for me....How can we not attract these guys?!

and your point, he was still signed for the season.

He also signed Cywka, anyway it doesn't really matter if he signs foreign players or not, it's the quality that counts not the nationality.

Clough is a racist blah blah blah, bullsh*t

and your point, he was still signed for the season.

He also signed Cywka, anyway it doesn't really matter if he signs foreign players or not, it's the quality that counts not the nationality.

Clough is a racist blah blah blah, bullsh*t

He has sort of got a point though. In recent times, our best players have been:

Idiakez

Baiano

Eranio

Stimac

Wanchope

Asanovic

Van Der Laan

Willems

Raziak

And i think the most exciting player in this squad is Cywka.

Maybe i'm racist towards English players.

We have 2 scouts in Ireland from what i know, and that's it for abroad if you call it that.

I think it's more funding and budget that stops Clough at the minute.

I hope some of us Derby fans remember things like this!!!

They were calling for his head when they were punching well above there weight and had about the most succesfull time in there history.

Yet it saddens me that us Derby County seem to now except that mid table and below is good enough in the second tier of english football for us, just because we were cost cutting. We have still been running with one of the higher wage budgets yet and clough seem to be getting praise for getting rid of poor players on to much money. I dont believe Clough is the right man, as I dont see any progress at all and cant even see what he is trying to do. There seems no long term plan in place on the playing side. I will go back to Burleys first season in charge, we were pretty dreadfull and just stayed up yet you could see the football philosophy he was trying to impose on the team. All I can see is we try a different system every season then half way shut up shop and try and grind results out.

So you're trying to tell me he didn't have a say on wages??? Do you think that while Eggbert Eggersun or whatever he's called was negotiating the contracts he didn't once stop and ask Curbs his opinion on what they were worth???

A player asks for a specific wage and it's up to the boss to decide if he'll earn that wage and whether to sign him on those terms...

Archived