Which manager do you want?

Toadbelly

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Clough for me. Infuriating as he is, but he's what we need.

George Burley next, he was excellent for us. Just finished up short compared to Davies but was far more entertaining and brought in memorable players.

Often wonder where we'd be now if Burley had of behaved.

Is it only me and a few others on this forum who are fully behind clough? It's a joke how people are constantly on his back for no reason. He's building a great squad and knows what he wants to achieve. If clough was at Manchester city then he go could go out and buy quality players but unfortunately we don't have that type of money and in my opinion he's buying decent players with the money that is available. Folk just need to get off the mans back and let him do his job.

I think this is getting a bit silly the season hasn't kicked off yet and we've got two threads about the manager not being good enough as for the list :-

Nigel Clough Has done a reasonable job given what he has to work with.

Billy Davies Good Manager but complete gobshite.

George Burley Good manager can,t keep his flies buttoned up.

David Jones Decent manager but needs mega money.

Alan Curbishley Excellant manager but would he come here?

Ian Dowie Absolutley bleeding useless.

Paul Ince Big headed and absolutley bleeding useless.

Roy Keane Nasty ******* and absolutey bleeding useless.

Brian Laws Just plain crap

Gorden Strachen Needs loads of money to waste on crap players.

So lets give our Nig a chance this season before we talk about getting rid

Keane useless is he, so what does that make Clough, in proper football, Keane has much the better record.

Nigel Clough for me. Infuriating as he is, but he's what we need.

George Burley next, he was excellent for us. Just finished up short compared to Davies but was far more entertaining and brought in memorable players.

Often wonder where we'd be now if Burley had of behaved.

burley did exceptionally well considering he didn't have a penny in all reality and a crooked board was here when he was in the job, i wonder what burley could have done if given a couple of million in a season.

burley did exceptionally well considering he didn't have a penny in all reality and a crooked board was here when he was in the job, i wonder what burley could have done if given a couple of million in a season.
This having or not having money it still depends how they spend it just as much as having it.

This having or not having money it still depends how they spend it just as much as having it.

of course it does, did we ever pay for a transfer while burley was in charge? or were they all frees? he brought in quality players bisgard, idiakez, smith, rasiak all for very little if any money.

Technically Nigel Clough is the worst manager (or the most unproven) out of the lot.. The only one yet to have a stint in the PL manager.

Roy Keane is on that list. I repeat, Roy Keane is on that list.

Did I mention that Roy Keane is on that list?

I just want to clarify that you've made that comment, and yet Roy Keane is on that list.

Explain.

Roy Keane is on that list. I repeat, Roy Keane is on that list.

Did I mention that Roy Keane is on that list?

I just want to clarify that you've made that comment, and yet Roy Keane is on that list.

Explain.

Erm he inherited a squad that went down with a then record of 15 points and had started off their NPC campaign with 4 losses.. He won promotion to the PL at the first time of asking with an unbreaten run in The NPC of around 26 games (with a net spend of about $1mill) then kept them up at the first attempt.. Left them when they were outside of the relegation zone.. Job done.

Dislike him all you want, he achieved what he wanted to at S'Land.. Some of his signings were poor, others were fantastic..

Erm he inherited a squad that went down with a then record of 15 points and had started off their NPC campaign with 4 losses.. He won promotion to the PL at the first time of asking with an unbreaten run in The NPC of around 26 games (with a net spend of about $1mill) then kept them up at the first attempt.. Left them when they were outside of the relegation zone.. Job done.

Dislike him all you want, he achieved what he wanted to at S'Land.. Some of his signings were poor, others were fantastic..

His Sunderland side were incredibly strong for that league anyway, they were destined for promotion.

Yes, he kept them up, but he had alot of money to do so. And have you forgotten what he did at Ipswich? A blank cheque book, and look what he did. Turned a team where he could spend what he liked into relegation fodder.

Not good enough, and Nigel has had the tougher job. Nigel over Keane, any day of the week.

And that goes for Brian Laws and Ian Dowie too.

Well he took a burnley team who were always going to get relegated down and at sheffield wed he kept them up year on year losing his best players. The same thing clough is getting praised for. He had to sell players like brunt and lost Glen whelan as they had no money at all. They had a lot less money than we have had under our current management. I guess then things only count with our nige

His Sunderland side were incredibly strong for that league anyway, they were destined for promotion.

Yes, he kept them up, but he had alot of money to do so. And have you forgotten what he did at Ipswich? A blank cheque book, and look what he did. Turned a team where he could spend what he liked into relegation fodder.

Not good enough, and Nigel has had the tougher job. Nigel over Keane, any day of the week.

And that goes for Brian Laws and Ian Dowie too.

Mmmm, I believe his record at Ipswich was still better than Clough's at Derby.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of support clough is actually getting how anyone can say he is doing an "excellent" job is beyond me. How many times have we seen us desperately defend to hang onto a 1-0 win or a 0-0 draw with 75 minutes on the clock and concede those oh so inevitable goals...

I'm willing to back clough for the time being, but this season really is his time to stand up and be counted

I'm actually surprised at the amount of support clough is actually getting how anyone can say he is doing an "excellent" job is beyond me. How many times have we seen us desperately defend to hang onto a 1-0 win or a 0-0 draw with 75 minutes on the clock and concede those oh so inevitable goals...

I'm willing to back clough for the time being, but this season really is his time to stand up and be counted

I am inclined to feel the same way .....i so want him to succeed and bring success to Derby but feel that if he doesn't get anywhere near the top ten then it could be curtains for Nigel which would be a shame for him ...but then thats football.

1. Nigel Clough - whilst far from perfect shows signs of being a great manager, he can be his own biggest enemy at times but I like the cut of his jib.

2. Billy Davies - If I was desperate to get into the premiership with the current board, he would be the man to do it.. has a proven track record of getting the very best out of poor players, give him a good player and he struggles :eek:

3. Alan Curbishley - Did a terrific job at Charlton, no arguing, also did very well at West Ham and I was absolutely stunned when they sacked him, all arguments sake a good manager.

4. George Burley - although, would he do the same job as he did before something tells me absolutely not, think he would fail but for argument sake it would be good to see him back.

Agree with that chap. Clough, due to his name, has been given ample time, and this is his last chance this season. Anything less than halfway, and we should consider replacing him.

My choice would be Ian Holloway who at least talks some sense.

Didnt laws take scunny from the bottom of league 2 into the champ? That's pretty good going.

Aye, not too bad, but if he signed as manager what would your reaction be? Mine would be of huge disappointment.

Hes done a poor job recently in both his jobs, considering the talent at his disposal. I mean, look at his Burnley side. They were very capable of going straight back up if he'd spent wisely.

Archived