Thameslink protest

Darbyram

...and the windows could be opened enough to get your whole body out.....my mate put his legs through and got sucked out .We had to pull him back in.

Don't know if that's all German trains or they were using old ones for the extra numbers during the WC.

Doubt they were using really old ones. The ones from the 1940's did'nt appear to have many windows........

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You stated that its not the governments job to give contracts to british corporations. Why not? the Germans and French do it.

Its unpopular in some countries to create unemployment. Here its seen as a market force, something that happens because of stock markets and financial "necessities". Well, its not, its purely a political decision based on free market ideology at any cost. There's nothing to stop any British government making it clear that it will put the interests of its own people in front of International financial interests.

Any way, full employment would pay for itself in better health, less crime and less benefits in the long run.

I got my wording wrong, sorry, I meant corporations based in Britain.

And I'd argue that the French and Germans pick themselves simply because they can afford to. Germany in particular has a far superiour manufacturing sector, and a huge chunk of ours was destroyed forever by Maggie Daily Express.

And of course full employment's a good idea, I don't think many governments purposely put people out of work. But it's not that simple. You could decide that every tender has to go to a British based corporation and every British item on the supermarket shelf has to be insanely cheaper than anything else, and that might create full employment in the short run. That's what sparks trade wars, and there's little point in manufacturing goods we can't sell to anyone.

It's incredibly expensive to manufacture anything in this country and that's why governments find it so difficult to protect jobs in this country.

That's why instead of protectionist policies we need to invest further in education. I have friends at Sixth Form who are incredibly craftsmen, they can make a model of anything you want. 20 years ago, they might have been in an apprentiship with the local carpenter and learned a vital trade we all need. Carpenters are now a dying breed. 20 years on, our would-be carpenters are studing Media Studies and Golf Course Management at Northampton University, and we have to import our wooden furniture from elsewhere.

Germany has no such problem because it has an education system similar to our old Grammar school system. You take a Germany equivalent of our old 11+, and it's is not to sort out the thick kids from the clever kids. It aims to sort out the craftsmen from the academics from the entreprenuers. They teach their plumbers, carpenters and electricians to be the best plumbers, electricians and carpenters in Europe. Meanwhile, in the UK, we've got a one-size-fits-all solution and our carpenters, plumbers and electricians are studying Psycoligy at A-level. But you'd never ever get elected in to power in this country proposing a return to the grammar school system, and therein lies half the problem.

That's my crack at solving Britain, your turn ;)

What's that got to do with jews? I've not read it admittedly, i've just got a hunch there is nothing jew related in that appallingly large amount of words.

I started that essay before the whole bizarre Jew thing started. What is that about?

Young Ram, I'm reluctant to conform to colloquial terms invariably exhibited by contemporary youth like yourself. By encompassing a myriad of words you are inclined to assert your intellect, thus imbuing your speech with ostensible refinement and galvanizing the inherent thoughts of confusion in others, as well as encapsulating their attention.

Good day.

Young Ram, I'm reluctant to conform to colloquial terms invariably exhibited by contemporary youth like yourself. By encompassing a myriad of words you are inclined to assert your intellect, thus imbuing your speech with ostensible refinement and galvanizing the inherent thoughts of confusion in others, as well as encapsulating their attention.

Good day.

Really!!! I have always thought how poor his grammar is for one still in the education system.

I blogged this last night.

What puzzles me, is why do a government that is well-known for favouring tradition, have no desire to continue Britain's legacy of train building?

In the London Underground, we engineered the largest metropolitan subway train line on the planet. As well as this, we exported the rail industry across the commonwealth, to all corners of the earth.

Yes, Bombardier's package was more expensive than the Siemens one so it is a better deal for the taxpayer. But is it worth the loss of 1400 jobs? Is it worth another dent in what was once a great manufacturing industry that this island used to maintain? Is it worth being straw that broke the camel's back that is only going to anger unions and the electorate further?

Haven't Siemens said it would create 2,000 jobs in the UK?

I've only read bits on this so excuse me if I'm talking out my arse with that statment. Sure it's bad for the people of Derby but as a country if we are getting a cheaper deal with 2,000 jobs being created isn't that bad is it?

I will accept any abuse for this post for being thick.

Archived