Thameslink protest

Darbyram

Just found this little snippet hidden away on one of the business pages.....

With the Bombardier - ThamesLink - Siemens fiasco in the news the Government commissioned a study into the current manufacturing capabilities of several Midland cities to assess the potential for future investment.

It was found that Stoke-on-Trent's pottery industry is now sadly reduced to making those little porcelain thimble thingys that your granny collects and comedy dog bowls with "woof! please feed me" handpainted in the bottom.

Leicester's industrial heartland comprised of a few illegal immigrants knitting jumpers for Primark, while Nottingham's once proud lace manufacturers now produce shabby net curtains for a stall on Donington market.

Derby continues to build really manly things like Jet Engines. And cars.

The commission, undertaken for the Government by Dr. Martens from the Harrington University of Popular Sides, has concluded that, "Derby could probably take the other fookers with one hand tied behind its back"

www/tiredandweary./dlf

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just found this little snippet hidden away on one of the business pages.....

With the Bombardier - ThamesLink - Siemens fiasco in the news the Government commissioned a study into the current manufacturing capabilities of several Midland cities to assess the potential for future investment.

It was found that Stoke-on-Trent's pottery industry is now sadly reduced to making those little porcelain thimble thingys that your granny collects and comedy dog bowls with "woof! please feed me" handpainted in the bottom.

Leicester's industrial heartland comprised of a few illegal immigrants knitting jumpers for Primark, while Nottingham's once proud lace manufacturers now produce shabby net curtains for a stall on Donington market.

Derby continues to build really manly things like Jet Engines. And cars.

The commission, undertaken for the Government by Dr. Martens from the Harrington University of Popular Sides, has concluded that, "Derby could probably take the other fookers with one hand tied behind its back"

www/tiredandweary./dlf

i recommend this post for a like :D

I've signed an online petition.

I know some believe it should be left to market forces (ie. cheapest bid) but its rarely a level playing field anyway, as Spain. France and Germany always works it that their trains are built in their own countries.

Keeping manufacturing jobs here is more important than worrying whether we've committed a minor infringement of the EU procurement rules. Besides, the EU have failed to have their accounts signed off again for the 15th year in a row so morally they have no right to dictate to us.

I've signed an online petition.

I know some believe it should be left to market forces (ie. cheapest bid) but its rarely a level playing field anyway, as Spain. France and Germany always works it that their trains are built in their own countries.

Keeping manufacturing jobs here is more important than worrying whether we've committed a minor infringement of the EU procurement rules. Besides, the EU have failed to have their accounts signed off again for the 15th year in a row so morally they have no right to dictate to us.

The sooner the EUSSR is put to bed the better. Norway and Switzerland have an enviable relationship with Brussels without having to bankroll it.

i saw it as i was buying my new xbox but thought better protect the equipment and get it home safe and sound, i fully support those who marched as did most people today i think, how often does that happen, a union march get public support?

Some newspaper has seen a document stating that the governments stance on not being able to re tender the contract is incorrect.

What do you say to that then.

(please dont say "link")

I think you are right, i believe margaret beckett stated on question time the fact that labour left a clause in the tendering process which means they could still negotiate a deal on the tenders, it just makes me laugh how cameron was in derby saying we need to balance the economy and manufacture more goods and goes and does this.

i saw it as i was buying my new xbox but thought better protect the equipment and get it home safe and sound, i fully support those who marched as did most people today i think, how often does that happen, a union march get public support?

The recent UCU and NUS marches, as well as public sector pension strikes generated good support too.

But it was interesting seeing RMT, NSSN, Unison, MPs and Tory councillors etc all united when normally they're bickering. I hope the solidarity showed today makes the government rethink.

I think you are right, i believe margaret beckett stated on question time the fact that labour left a clause in the tendering process which means they could still negotiate a deal on the tenders, it just makes me laugh how cameron was in derby saying we need to balance the economy and manufacture more goods and goes and does this.

Labour come out smelling of roses again...

Labour come out smelling of roses again...

well not necessarily however facts are facts, they weren't tide to the tenders at all and someone quite senior in the government like Margaret Beckett would know this information. I am not a labour supporter actually, however the government are clearly lying about the process or if not lying, simply not mentioning this clause.

Also there is a culture in the government to blame Labour for everything, now Labour have been out of office for well over a year, they made mistakes however not everything they did was terrible, awful and destroyed the country, that is my point essentially, yes Labour mucked up to an extent over finances but then so did every country in the world then. My point is it seems it is too easy to blame Labour for everything and that is the get out clause of the coalition which frustrates me as they have had power for a good while.

well not necessarily however facts are facts, they weren't tide to the tenders at all and someone quite senior in the government like Margaret Beckett would know this information. I am not a labour supporter actually, however the government are clearly lying about the process or if not lying, simply not mentioning this clause.

Also there is a culture in the government to blame Labour for everything, now Labour have been out of office for well over a year, they made mistakes however not everything they did was terrible, awful and destroyed the country, that is my point essentially, yes Labour mucked up to an extent over finances but then so did every country in the world then. My point is it seems it is too easy to blame Labour for everything and that is the get out clause of the coalition which frustrates me as they have had power for a good while.

Good ol' Margaret, caught with her hands in the taxpayers pocket, disgrace how she still has the audacity to stand. There are clauses in everything YR, don't be naive enough to think that the legal process of activating such clauses both in cost and time, combined with there being no security of outcome makes it rather undesirable to pursue. The legal framework in place, describing the bidding process and the conditions for the winning tender was approved by Labour; I don't want to hear about clauses frankly. Admittedly, as a eurosceptic I was hoping for some more fight from the Tories but like others, I'm rather dubious about how much sovereignty we can actually exert on matters like this.

Good ol' Margaret, caught with her hands in the taxpayers pocket, disgrace how she still has the audacity to stand. There are clauses in everything YR, don't be naive enough to think that the legal process of activating such clauses both in cost and time, combined with there being no security of outcome makes it rather undesirable to pursue. The legal framework in place, describing the bidding process and the conditions for the winning tender was approved by Labour; I don't want to hear about clauses frankly. Admittedly, as a eurosceptic I was hoping for some more fight from the Tories but like others, I'm rather dubious about how much sovereignty we can actually exert on matters like this.

silly billy with all due respect virtually every mp had hands int he tax payers pocket I believe even Cameron had someone to take pictures of his family at the governments expense?, it was common practice until they were forced by the public to stop, if everyone who did it didn't stand, there would be few MP's left. I think as the government wants to fix manufacturing in this country they should do everything possible to do so, including activating the clause and to renegotiate with bombardier, they have enough time and money, maybe Cameron can get his family to chip in.

You don't want to hear about clauses? and yet you call me naive, well if the clause is in place the government can renegotiate with the company bombardier to see what can be done, public support will grant them time and even money as it wouldn't be wasting either.

silly billy with all due respect virtually every mp had hands int he tax payers pocket I believe even Cameron had someone to take pictures of his family at the governments expense?, it was common practice until they were forced by the public to stop, if everyone who did it didn't stand, there would be few MP's left. I think as the government wants to fix manufacturing in this country they should do everything possible to do so, including activating the clause and to renegotiate with bombardier, they have enough time and money, maybe Cameron can get his family to chip in.

You don't want to hear about clauses? and yet you call me naive, well if the clause is in place the government can renegotiate with the company bombardier to see what can be done, public support will grant them time and even money as it wouldn't be wasting either.

I work very closely with government and advice on contracts that far outweigh the importance (interms of monetary value) of this deal. I've had the experience of government giving the green light to projects, backing out, doubling back and I've also seen what a nightmare EU rules and regulations are (which Labour agreed to). I don't pretend to know the ins-and-outs of another industry but I do know its sometimes much easier to run with whats in place rather than fight it. You're saying all the right things but trust me when I say it, the bureauracy and red tape around anything to do with Brussels, clause or not, is opening a can of worms. I'm fully in support of reversing the contract decision but I can't see it happening, we do things by the book in this country and that works against us at times.

Archived