How come?

rynny

Been a nightmare to access the sight over the last couple of days.Next time you get server trouble. How about posting something on Facebook to let us know it will be returning soon or something. Good to see the forum back up and running anyway.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would of liked more time to let people know. The forum was looking at being shut down if we didn't move asap. I didnt want to risk that and found another company as quick as I could. Add to that trying to explain to the missus why I'm spending more money on a "stupid forum", a new pair of jeans seemed to smooth it over.

I was busy doing everything I could to make the move as quick as possible, responding to emails and tweets as fast as I could.

I couldn't give a timeframe as it's all in the hands of the Internet gods. Initially I guessed at a 5pm finish, it ended up being gone 8pm, even then members couldn't clear their cache and get on, again I was responding as fast as I could answering tweets and emails till gone 10pm.

At the end of the day it's a football forum which went offline for a few hours. I mean seriously did any major talking points occur during that time. I didn't make the world stop or anything.

Personally I would of just left it a couple of days and gone and sampled some fresh air.

I have learnt my lesson tho, next time I will setup a temporary forum, I'll take out a tv ad, radio ad, full page ad in all the national and local papers and I'll walk the streets wearing a sandwich board displaying a countdown clock till the site goes live.

Hey, things happen sometimes. Glad that this thing works again. Makes a big difference for me getting to know what is happening with the team. Although when I could not get to the site I started to get annoyed to the point where I had to ask myself am I spending too much time on this forum. Then of course I realised that is not possible. Who needs a life anyway ? :thumbsup:

I would of liked more time to let people know. The forum was looking at being shut down if we didn't move asap. I didnt want to risk that and found another company as quick as I could. Add to that trying to explain to the missus why I'm spending more money on a "stupid forum", a new pair of jeans seemed to smooth it over.

I was busy doing everything I could to make the move as quick as possible, responding to emails and tweets as fast as I could.

I couldn't give a timeframe as it's all in the hands of the Internet gods. Initially I guessed at a 5pm finish, it ended up being gone 8pm, even then members couldn't clear their cache and get on, again I was responding as fast as I could answering tweets and emails till gone 10pm.

At the end of the day it's a football forum which went offline for a few hours. I mean seriously did any major talking points occur during that time. I didn't make the world stop or anything.

Personally I would of just left it a couple of days and gone and sampled some fresh air.

I have learnt my lesson tho, next time I will setup a temporary forum, I'll take out a tv ad, radio ad, full page ad in all the national and local papers and I'll walk the streets wearing a sandwich board displaying a countdown clock till the site goes live.

So it's a huge "ta" to you Daveo for getting us all sorted, spending your hard earned time and money getting it fixed and having to smooth things over with your missis too.

Listen up campers, we should all chip in and get Daveo a huge barrel of beer and then sit back and watch the fallout via the drunk thread! :D (who needs the fresh air from the great outdoors anyway???!!!)

Thanks again Daveo - from all your following minions :)

If it'd gone off 24 hours later, you'd have missed some fun and games :)

If the cost gets a bit steep and you want a cheap alternative (and don't mind hosting it yourself) give me a call. I hosted a site out of my spare room for a few years.

If it'd gone off 24 hours later, you'd have missed some fun and games :)

If the cost gets a bit steep and you want a cheap alternative (and don't mind hosting it yourself) give me a call. I hosted a site out of my spare room for a few years.

Cheers for the offer, I just wouldn't know where to start with self hosting. I'm actually pretty thick when it comes to computers, HTML, CSS and all that great, other than that I'm a dumbass.

Should be fine for the time being now, I've got a 200gig a month bandwidth allowence, the forum uses around 7-8 a month at the moment. 1.5gig Memory, average around 850mb free and 30gig disk space which we've hardly touched.

Archived