FIFA Presedential Election

G STAR RAM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is worse that eurovision. 17 voted with us. 100 odd against.

Some of these countries who are openly baiting us need to remember what we do for their countries.

I am not so sure that some of these small countries are openly baiting us. I think that the members in those countries probably had very little to their names in the great scheme of things. Blatter has used the FIFA wealth to enable them to travel in a style that they would never have dreamt of and possibly with expenses that came in very nicely. He is a very smart guy who knows how to pull the strings of others. It is also very strange how Warner has gone from "we must stop Blatter" to openly backing him within 48 hours.

I do not think that there was any way that Blatter was going to be removed, the best we could have hoped for would have been him saying he would quit in 12 months time (giving him time to put the FIFA shredders to good use).

The Argentinian guy says he would only ever vote for us if we gave them the Falkland's back. What a c nut.

He should be kicked out of FIFA for a statement like that. It is supposed to be about football not political issues. He is not too smart in the brain department if he openly said that.

i hope the sponsors withdraw from fifa so there is mass panic, frankly the whole thing is a joke, I loathe Jack Warner as he is simply absolute scum, an underhanded bastar* who should rot in jail. Blatter is simply trying to hold the decaying edifice together, while he isn't corrupt, he has turned a blind eye for a couple of years too long where it can't be stamped out.

i hope the sponsors withdraw from fifa so there is mass panic, frankly the whole thing is a joke, I loathe Jack Warner as he is simply absolute scum, an underhanded bastar* who should rot in jail. Blatter is simply trying to hold the decaying edifice together, while he isn't corrupt, he has turned a blind eye for a couple of years too long where it can't be stamped out.

agreed the whole lot are tainted. The culture of any organisation is a direct reflection of the leader. If he had any morals he would have resigned

So Sepp Blatter has been reelected president of FIFA for another 4 years.. And now he's decided that to make it fairer (with the world cup voting) it will now be put to the 208 FAs of world football instead of the chosen 13 or so comittees.. Brilliant, cracking idea.. More power to the mutes of the likes of Cyprus, Tahiti, Congo, Benin to cast their votes.. Blatter is a clever guy, he supports these minnows by offering them 'goods' (He spent $1mill of his FIFA budget buying a few carribean nations computers/laptops etc.) for them to support him. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours sort of thing..

This isn't football anymore, it's politics and money..

England (UK), however bad our FA is, doesn't need FIFA. We're a powerhouse in football, a leading nation, along with Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal.. Take these nations out of FIFA and they're done.. They can have the support of the minnows like those countries that openly blasted the FAs request of a delay in the election.. Those minnows don't contribute anything other than votes for the politically driven commitees. The heart of football lies in the centre of Europe, thats where the best players are, the money, the excitement, the sponsors, the global attraction.. We along with our European nations just don't realise it.

And that guy from Argentina can go and f*ck himself.

So Sepp Blatter has been reelected president of FIFA for another 4 years.. And now he's decided that to make it fairer (with the world cup voting) it will now be put to the 208 FAs of world football instead of the chosen 13 or so comittees.. Brilliant, cracking idea.. More power to the mutes of the likes of Cyprus, Tahiti, Congo, Benin to cast their votes.. Blatter is a clever guy, he supports these minnows by offering them 'goods' (He spent $1mill of his FIFA budget buying a few carribean nations computers/laptops etc.) for them to support him. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours sort of thing..

This isn't football anymore, it's politics and money..

England (UK), however bad our FA is, doesn't need FIFA. We're a powerhouse in football, a leading nation, along with Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal.. Take these nations out of FIFA and they're done.. They can have the support of the minnows like those countries that openly blasted the FAs request of a delay in the election.. Those minnows don't contribute anything other than votes for the politically driven commitees. The heart of football lies in the centre of Europe, thats where the best players are, the money, the excitement, the sponsors, the global attraction.. We along with our European nations just don't realise it.

Spot on.

Why do we let these people dictate the rules to us in a game we invented?!

Them that stood up and called the English FA today were well within their rights but lets see how it would affect all of them if we withdrew from FIFA.

Picked this little snippet up about this guy

[sIZE=14px]• 2003: Julio Grondona responds to a journalist's question about referee standards in Argentina by saying: "I do not believe a Jew can ever be a referee at this level. It's hard work and, you know, Jews don't like hard work." ("Julio's a monumental man!" says Sepp. "We are friends for ever.") [/sIZE]http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/18/said-and-done-julio-grondona

SillyBilly

What a fiasco. We should pull out of FIFA with immediate effect, the comments from the Argentinian bloke eloquently sum up the current merits of the voting process. We should have blocked Germany's 2006 WC bid due to war crimes if we're following that path. The 2018 bids came down to a popularity contest and whoever chucked a little in on the side, no doubt about it. The FA seem intent on destroying the domestic game and FIFA are seemingly attempting one upmanship in the global game.

From David Bond at the BBC;

Bloemfontein, Zurich mark one and now Zurich mark two. After last year's World Cup and World Cup 2018 vote English football has been given a harsh lesson on Fifa's world stage.

As he made the agonisingly long walk to the congress lectern this morning FA chairman David Bernstein might not have expected the angry backlash he would face.

After making his lone appeal to postpone the re-election of Sepp Blatter, he could only watch as, one by one, delegates from the rest of the world took it in turn to attack the FA's last minute move.

Haiti, Benin, Congo and Cyprus all publicly criticised the FA for making what they - bizarrely - viewed as an undemocratic request. It was against the agenda, they said, and England weren't playing by the rules. They rounded on the British media for creating a crisis without any real evidence.

The most brutal attack came from the long standing Fifa vice president for Argentina, Julio Grondona. He used his address as head of Fifa's finance committee to plead with the English to leave the Fifa family alone and criticised Bernstein for his intervention.

He added: "We always have attacks - mostly with lies and with the support of journalism which is more busy lying than telling the truth."

Not one mentioned the fact that two executive committee members - including one who was supposed to be running for president - had been suspended just three days ago pending a bribery investigation set up by a third member of its executive.

But the vote told a slightly different story. 17 countries backed England's call and another 17 abstained meaning 34 countries - or around 16 per cent of the eligible nations (206) - were expressing some doubts about this election.

Whether they were supporting the FA or acting in their own interests is difficult to tell. Many of those 34 votes may have come from delegates angry at the treatment of former presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam, suspended last Sunday and ruled out of the election.

The 172 votes against the postponement revealed, again, Blatter's strong power base and the FA was never likely to win the argument today. But Bernstein will be pleased he wasn't completely humiliated in the vote.

Having said all this, if anyone at the FA wondered if English football was isolated inside Fifa, then there can be absolutely no doubts after today's backlash.

Much of this is historic. There is deep resentment at the way Britain gets an automatic vice presidency on the Fifa executive committee. With England's Geoff Thompson standing down after four years, this is due to be taken up by Northern Ireland's Jim Boyce later today. Some hospital pass that.

In his attack on England, Grondona raised the issue of the vice presidency and one outcome from all this might be a move to finally end this anachronistic privilege which has been woefully utilised by Thompson and the British FAs over the last few years.

There is also resentment at what many of the smaller countries - particularly in Africa and the Caribbean - see as English arrogance. This is reinforced by the financial might of the Premier League.

On top of that, the fall out from the England World Cup bid has left many asking whether all of the attacks on Fifa are being motivated by revenge. It is certainly true that while the Fifa story has been dominating the news bulletins and front pages in Britain, it is not making the same kind of headlines elsewhere - even in Europe.

So what now for England? With Blatter likely to be re-elected later (don't be surprised to see hundreds of delegates rise to applaud the president afterwards) any hopes of rebuilding bridges will have to be put off for the next four years.

The Bin Hammam and Jack Warner bribery inquiry could prove them right if there is another round of bloodletting causing the Fifa crisis to widen.

Their best hope might be to align themselves with Michel Platini, the favourite to succeed Blatter in 2015, although Brazil's Ricardo Teixeira is also likely to stand and he is unlikely to look favourably on England.

David Bernstein said that by making his stand today he was standing up for principles. Most people back home will applaud this and will be extremely angry at the way Fifa has circled the wagons today.

But the FA can only hope that Sepp Blatter means it when he says he will now make real reforms. They will be watching from the sidelines.

As much as I like watching England at the WC I'd have absolutely no problem if the FA decided to pull us out of Fifa. Even if that were at the expense of us having to pull out of Uefa as well. Being a purely domestic sport doesn't impinge on global branding as American Football proves.

Plus we could then fook off all the stupid rules that they come up with between them. Maybe players would be able to celebrate goals without the threat of yellow cards and such.

From David Bond at the BBC;

As much as I like watching England at the WC I'd have absolutely no problem if the FA decided to pull us out of Fifa. Even if that were at the expense of us having to pull out of Uefa as well. Being a purely domestic sport doesn't impinge on global branding as American Football proves.

Plus we could then fook off all the stupid rules that they come up with between them. Maybe players would be able to celebrate goals without the threat of yellow cards and such.

The problem is that SKY would exert pressure if England kicked off and UEFA fooked us off out of the Champions League. The Premier League is totally dependent on SKY money and vice versa.

The problem is that SKY would exert pressure if England kicked off and UEFA fooked us off out of the Champions League. The Premier League is totally dependent on SKY money and vice versa.

You'd have to hope that that bit kept Sky honest. The Premier League is undoubtedly the jewel in Sky's sporting crown. It would depend on how serious the FA really were. Would they consider a less lucrative deal around broadcasting rights for the overall good of the game in the country? What kind of deal would ESPN be able to put together?

To be fair, Sky would only lose the CL. The Europa league is split between terrestrial and ESPN, the World Cup is terrestrial, the Euros are terrestrial, the U21s are on ESPN, the FA Cup's on ESPN and terrestrial, the England away games, are they ESPN or Sky?

That being said, the obvious factor is that the clubs would undoubtedly kick off as it's the CL that's a money spinner for them.

Not about FIFA but i would like to ask our FA this. Who the feckin hell thought of giving Gareth Southgate the job of "Head Of Elite Development"?

We can't go around criticising FIFA, when our FA has clearly taken payments for him to get that position.

Archived