Adam Legzdins - Burton Albion - Signed

Hucknall Ram

Maybe Clough said "'ere Barker erm, do you erm think we could improve anywhere?"

Barker being the only footballer who makes sense (according to Duracell) says

"Sick of having Gk's come in on-loan. Can't trust them in every circumstance. We need a quality back up 'keeper that we are used to training with."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bywater's going one way or another. Didn't Glick allude to paying up his contract if needs be?

I'd much rather have Legzdins than Deeney - Legzdins has looked good every time I've seen him. Deeney, I'm not so sure of.

Surely it's a decent move for Legzdins as well - understudy to the England U21 GK and a move to a much bigger club.

Why is it Atkins that's looking like part of the swap and not Deeney?

Deeney is seen as the more progressed keeper. Burton know him. And he'd be 3rd choice here.

Would of though it'd be Deeney. At his age too i'd of thought he'd like to be playing a lot of first team games. He's not going to get much of a sniff with Fielding and Legzdins both signed.

When Atkins goes though i hope he gets plenty of match time. He looks alright. Be good for his development without him having to shift halfway across the country to play for a club he's never heard of.

I would imagine that there's a greater incentive to aid Atkins' development by getting him out somewhere playing regular football.

Deeney, IMO, if we do sign Legzdins is just going to be a third wheel providing backup in the unlikely event that both of the first two get injured/suspended.

Wouldn't surprise me if we let him go at the first half decent offer.

I would imagine that there's a greater incentive to aid Atkins' development by getting him out somewhere playing regular football.

Deeney, IMO, if we do sign Legzdins is just going to be a third wheel providing backup in the unlikely event that both of the first two get injured/suspended.

Wouldn't surprise me if we let him go at the first half decent offer.

Yeah, from our perspective i'd prefer it was Atkins on loan.

I just would of thought Burton would prefer Deeney.

And that Deeney would like the move. Being 3rd choice at his age isn't really any good to him. 2nd choice would be OK. But if Legzdins comes then surely it's to be back up to Fielding.

Would of thought Deeney to Burton would suit Burton and Deeney and help Derby get Legzdins a bit easier.

Still, If it's Atkins it'll be good for us and him.

Deeney has been unlucky is it twice?? When he would of been starting as 3rd choice and he was unavailable both times. If your 3rd choice how rare are those chances usually? And he missed 2 within a season! Poor fella.

Depends on what was offered I guess - are we saying that they have a pick of Deeney/Severn/Atkins, or are we saying that they can have either Severn or Atkins, or are we just saying you can have Atkins.

From Burton's perspective, I can see both sides - Deeney's tried and tested for them, but perhaps they'd think that Atkins was a better prospect having played for England U18s and U19s?

And that Deeney would like the move. Being 3rd choice at his age isn't really any good to him. 2nd choice would be OK. But if Legzdins comes then surely it's to be back up to Fielding.

Depend how desperate he is to actually play, he'll be getting paid for training and the odd reserve game.

Deeney was second choice behind a 45 year old Kevin Poole when they were in the Conference!

Think they have their eyes on better 'keepers than him.

Didn't Kevin Poole also keep Camp & Grant out of the side while he was goalkeeper coach at Derby?

Think that Jake Kean was released by the Academy manager of Derby who then went to join Blackburn as their new Academy manager. He seems like he knew Kean would move there and diden't go out of his way to get Derby to sign him up as he was going there as a coach himself.

Taken from wiki

Grant was given a chance by new Derby boss Phil Brown during the 2005–06 pre-season, but was again relegated to the bench by the start of the season. He played his first game of the season on 24 August 2005 as Derby crashed out of the League Cup at the hands of Grimsby Town.[15] Another injury followed a fortnight later when Grant fractured his metatarsal during training, and was out of action for another two weeks.[16]

Burnley (on Loan)

After playing just three games in 18 months, Grant was allowed to join Championship club Burnley on a one-month loan on 15 November 2005 as cover for the suspended Brian Jensen.[17][18] Grant went straight in to the team and made his debut for Burnley against Leicester City on 19 November, but despite a one-month extension to the loan, Grant failed to force Jensen out as first choice 'keeper and did not play again for the first team before returning to Derby. Grant returned to his parent club on 14 January 2006 with Burnley manager Steve Cotterill claiming that the club were unable to continue to pay his high wages and that "he may go on loan somewhere else where he will play all the time".[19]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Grant_(footballer_born_1983)

Phil Brown signed Poole, whom he had previously worked with at Bolton, as a goalkeeping coach for Derby County in July 2005. Although he was also registered as a player, this was initially intended only for emergencies;[12] however he was unexpectedly promoted to first choice for a spell due to poor form and injuries affecting young goalkeepers Lee Camp and Lee Grant.[13][14] The 42-year-old Poole played seven times for the first team before returning to coaching duties. He was released in May 2006 after Brown's management team departed Derby County.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Poole

Injuries and loans to me.

^^ Two had their chances last season - Atkins and Severn, and Clough clearly feels that they're not quite ready yet.

That leaves Ratty, Fielding and Deeney - Ratty's on his way and won't play for us again, Fielding's our number one, and Deeney is back up but a) seems to be a bit injury prone, and b) isn't great.

Think the optimum plan would be to get Legzdins, have him understudy Fielding, then send out Atkins and Severn on loan. If someone comes in for Deeney let him go, if not, have him as 3rd choice.

Archived