Ok, so i'm bored....

sage

But i was just thinking what would fans being happy with for next season?

Obviously we don't know how much we will spend and who on, but after a topsy turvy season and a promise of investment, what are people's expectations?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mid table obscurity would do for me with a moderate spend- if we spend big its got to be top six

I was thinking in a similar vein. A modest investvest would make me think top half of the table, however if we do sign two 15-20 goal a season strikers then top 6-8 would be more like it.

Minimum: Top 10

Hopes : Top 6

However, If we did manage to obtain a play-off place come the end of the season. Who would want us to go up??

I mean, I want Derby to win every game and eventually be the greatest force in Europe (lol) but let's keep our feet on the ground a lil. TG says he wants to make Derby a top 6 (contending) team next season. But if we 'blagged' it through the play-offs, then our squad still probably wouldn't be good enough to deny cementing everyones views that Derby really are the worst Premier League side ever.

Talking about promotion is perhaps too far fetched. But what does TG want?? A charge to the top 6 and then a loss in the play-offs. I'd take that as GREAT progress and a reinforced foundation, where we could attract a higher class of player for the following season.

Anyway, I digress............Top 10 minimum :cool:

With all the talk of a play off push next season I'd be disappointed to see us finish outside the top 10. I don't care if we spend a fiver or 5m, I'm more interested in the quality of players brought in.

Going to be an interesting summer.

The board have said we should be shooting for the top 6 (hence the pledge on season ticket refunds), so as it stands they are my expectations. They also said they were going to stabilise the club which they have.

In terms of how we get there - I think we need to get some valuable experience under James Bailey's belt, because he could be key for us. A fit Steven Davies, a settled Jamie Ward and Frank Fielding will give us alot more strength in depth.

There are definite recruitment issues which need to be addressed. In my opinion we desperately need a new left back (heard another rumour today about Paul Konchesky), and some strength out wide. We also need to become competitive with the top teams in the league upfront (Theo, I'm looking at you). Earnshaw, Becchio, Bellamy, Yakubu, Long - we need a striker of that ilk. It's time for Porter to be moved on, and in my opinion, Theo Robinson.

But yes, I'm expecting us to be in the top 6.

But i was just thinking what would fans being happy with for next season?

Obviously we don't know how much we will spend and who on, but after a topsy turvy season and a promise of investment, what are people's expectations?

16th

17th

19th

18th

20th

4th

20th

3rd

20th

18th

14th

max of 16th

12 seasons, 10 rubbish, 2 great with one of them set against a back drop of been owned by criminals.

10th would represent a massive improvement to what we are used to. Good thing with this league is though is that at the start of the season, anyone can go up or down. Apart from Blackpool, any relegated teams are going to be good and Brighton and Southampton will be decent.

Gonna be a lot tougher next year, there aren't many good teams this year.

If NC is given financial backing by the board anything less than challenging for play offs would be failure in my opinion.

I'd agree with that.

What I don't get is why some folks would settle for mid table mediocrity season after season?

The board have said they'd like to aim for play off's next season haven't they? Let's see them cough up some serious dosh and aim higher than the play off's and go for promotion.

Why not? It's time 'that season' was left where it belongs, in the past.

I'd agree with that.

What I don't get is why some folks would settle for mid table mediocrity season after season?

The board have said they'd like to aim for play off's next season haven't they? Let's see them cough up some serious dosh and aim higher than the play off's and go for promotion.

Why not? It's time 'that season' was left where it belongs, in the past.

Fair shout. But to be within the top 10 wouldn't mean an instant dismissal for NC. All depends on performances etc etc I guess. Thing is, I change my opinion time after time, The thing that we should realise I guess, Is if Leeds/Norwich etc can think about promotion after coming up from league 1, Then why not us. But to avoid disappointment I still want top 10 minimum.

ok for starts id stop wasting your time praying for a massive investment by the board anything over 2mill cash would be a bonus.

come to think of it he ( tg ) came out with this cr*p about being top 6 contenders just before season ticket renewels last year!!! and look wat happened.

for me the realistic target for next season should be top half rather than season after season of looking over our shoulders at the drop zone!!

that would be all i want. get some consolidation in the side and get on a good run nurture the younger players for another season then push for top 6 the next.

COYR

um.....14th.

first season: whilst PJ left a handful of good players, we had a huge squad and a lot of cr@p. We finished 14th - which appears as a modest improvement from 18th - but a modest improvement was entirely predictable. In order to assemble a new squad over 3 years we need to sign at least 6 new first team players per annum.

We actually signed 2. Moxey and Barker. Not enough.

second season: the core of better players are now entering the final years of their contracts and will inevitably start drifting away. As we lose players like Hulse and Commons it is predictable that we might actually dip if we havent already acquired a new core of equal or better players. We needed another 6 players. We got 3. Brayford, Bailey, and Cywka. And surprisingly we sold one of the players assumed to be part of the new wave (Moxey). So now we have 4 key new players (3 if Nigel rejects Cywka, 4 if you count Ben Davies).We should have at least 10-12.

third season: By now we should be adding the final touches to the new squad. By failing to recruit in years 1 and 2, we are starting to give ourselves a mountain to climb. Ok it looks like we'll get Fielding and Ward and maybe 2 or 3 others.

But we need around 8-10 new players instead of another 4 or 5.

We will find it hard to get that number of players in just one transfer window. There simply aren't that number of decent potential free signings about. We will have to spend to force our hand in the market and even then it wont be easy.

We have now had two seasons of bumming around 15th -18th. Other clubs who have achieved higher league placings may be a more attractive option. And clubs who have parachute money may outbid us to take some of the players we want.

I think that to hope for the play offs is therefore wishful thinking.

And the 3 year plan will now have to be a 4 - 5 year plan at best.

So maybe a modest improvement - back to 14th.

um.....14th.

first season: whilst PJ left a handful of good players, we had a huge squad and a lot of cr@p. We finished 14th - which appears as a modest improvement from 18th - but a modest improvement was entirely predictable. In order to assemble a new squad over 3 years we need to sign at least 6 new first team players per annum.

We actually signed 2. Moxey and Barker. Not enough.

second season: the core of better players are now entering the final years of their contracts and will inevitably start drifting away. As we lose players like Hulse and Commons it is predictable that we might actually dip if we havent already acquired a new core of equal or better players. We needed another 6 players. We got 3. Brayford, Bailey, and Cywka. And surprisingly we sold one of the players assumed to be part of the new wave (Moxey). So now we have 4 key new players (3 if Nigel rejects Cywka, 4 if you count Ben Davies).We should have at least 10-12.

third season: By now we should be adding the final touches to the new squad. By failing to recruit in years 1 and 2, we are starting to give ourselves a mountain to climb. Ok it looks like we'll get Fielding and Ward and maybe 2 or 3 others.

But we need around 8-10 new players instead of another 4 or 5.

We will find it hard to get that number of players in just one transfer window. There simply aren't that number of decent potential free signings about. We will have to spend to force our hand in the market and even then it wont be easy.

We have now had two seasons of bumming around 15th -18th. Other clubs who have achieved higher league placings may be a more attractive option. And clubs who have parachute money may outbid us to take some of the players we want.

I think that to hope for the play offs is therefore wishful thinking.

And the 3 year plan will now have to be a 4 - 5 year plan at best.

So maybe a modest improvement - back to 14th.

4-5 year plan?

dont you know its a 10year plan with clough in charge lol

If NC is given financial backing by the board anything less than challenging for play offs would be failure in my opinion.

Could just as easily argue that he has already succeeded by keeping us up with no financial backing (£10m cut in wages, spent less than incomings), in my opinion.

Could just as easily argue that he has already succeeded by keeping us up with no financial backing (£10m cut in wages, spent less than incomings), in my opinion.

but thats not what we would define as success is it?

its an awful long way from European Cup semi finals.

but thats not what we would define as success is it?

its an awful long way from European Cup semi finals.

If we're restricting the definition of success as reaching the semis of the Champions League then we may as well give up now as it'll never happen again.

I'd be happy enough with a team the likes of which played under Arthur Cox in the top flight, or Jim Smith when we'd recently gone up.

Archived