Rams managers - % of games won

admira

And....? What did Burley win us..?? Absolutely nothing..

Football is all about winning....Davies defeated Burley twice in the play offs..he is a winner...Burley isn't.

Burley did win something in a way, the survival of our football club. Goodness knows where Derby would have ended up had a bad manager been in charge throughout the ownership of the three amigos. He had no money to play with yet he still managed to bring some great football to our club.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And....? What did Burley win us..?? Absolutely nothing..

Football is all about winning....Davies defeated Burley twice in the play offs..he is a winner...Burley isn't.

Yep, Billy is a winner - 1 win in the Premiership! Stunning!

Remember what this thread is about? Derby Manager's winning percentages.

Burley spent nowt, made the club big profits from transfers out & had a win percentage of 36.4.

Davies spent a fortune on transfers,made a massive net loss on transfers in/out & had a win percentage of 34.8.

When Burley got Ipswich through the play-offs 1999/2000, he then took them to fifth in the Premiership the following year, winning qualification to the UEFA Cup.

5th place & UEFA qualification, or 'the Season of Shame'?

Yep, Billy is a winner - 1 win in the Premiership! Stunning!

Remember what this thread is about? Derby Manager's winning percentages.

Burley spent nowt, made the club big profits from transfers out & had a win percentage of 36.4.

Davies spent a fortune on transfers,made a massive net loss on transfers in/out & had a win percentage of 34.8.

When Burley got Ipswich through the play-offs 1999/2000, he then took them to fifth in the Premiership the following year, winning qualification to the UEFA Cup.

5th place & UEFA qualification, or 'the Season of Shame'?

Totally agree! It's good that someone on this forum speaks sense! Lol!

BUT the important fact that you seem to be missing out, is that Burley DIDN'T get us promoted...and Mr Davies DID, EASILY.

I wouldn't say Billy Davies got us promoted easily, it was a bit of a struggle at the end of the season and not many fancied us to beat West Brom at Wembley.

I'm sorry Muespach, but I consider what Burley did with Derby as better than what Davies did. Davies had the backing of a chairman who was willing to spend a few millions pounds on securing promotion. Burley had naff all backing, but still got us 4th in the league. I think if Burley had just £1m to spend that season, he would have got us promoted automatically. That's my opinion anyway.

I wouldn't say Billy Davies got us promoted easily, it was a bit of a struggle at the end of the season and not many fancied us to beat West Brom at Wembley.

I'm sorry Muespach, but I consider what Burley did with Derby as better than what Davies did. Davies had the backing of a chairman who was willing to spend a few millions pounds on securing promotion. Burley had naff all backing, but still got us 4th in the league. I think if Burley had just £1m to spend that season, he would have got us promoted automatically. That's my opinion anyway.

He did get us promoted easily, as I have said a gazzillion times on here, we finished 8 points above West Brom, we were the third best team in the league, by a long way.

We will never know what Burley would or wouldn't have done, but I think if you look at his track record since he left us you could have a pretty good guess....i.e....nothing..

How much money did Burley spend?

Idiakez, Rasziak, Jeff Kenna, Michael Johnson, Ian Taylor,Paul Peschisolido were all free transfers.

In over 2 years in charge, has Clough come anywhere near 'frees' of that calibre?

Didn't Burley bring in Leon Osman on loan? The most successful loan transfer in the history of this club, & probably the best we'll ever have.

Maybe Burley's lost his mojo in the intervening years, but I'd still take him over Clough & his cohorts.

I'd love to see what the current owners would make of the wage bill with those players.

We couldn't afford them now.

BUT the important fact that you seem to be missing out, is that Burley DIDN'T get us promoted...and Mr Davies DID, EASILY.

EASILY... Are you having a laugh??? Blowing a position of reletive comfort on top of the league in January down to 3rd. Squeaking through the play off semi against Southampton by the skin of our teeth, after surrendering an away goal advantage no less. We were then completely outplayed by West Brom in the final but managed to score during a 10 minute purple patch in the second half, then clung on for dear life. We also survived two penalty claims that 9 times out of 10 on another day would've been given. Yeah, piece of piss wasn't it...

The important facts you keep missing, is that Burley spent nowt & made big profits from transfers. Davies got promotion by the skin of his teeth after a play-off penalty shoot-out & a 'shinner' from Pearson at Wembley, having spent a fortune in transfers & massive net losses. To be followed by the 'the Season of Shame'.

I'd love to see what the current owners would make of the wage bill with those players.

We couldn't afford them now.

Well, we've had discussions on this forum about this subject before, and it seems apparent that the wage bill back then wasn't that big. Someone mentioned that Morten Bisgaard was only on £800 a week, that's less than what Ben Pringle is supposedly paid. I know who I'd sooner have in the squad, and it's not Pringle!

He did get us promoted easily, as I have said a gazzillion times on here, we finished 8 points above West Brom, we were the third best team in the league, by a long way.

We will never know what Burley would or wouldn't have done, but I think if you look at his track record since he left us you could have a pretty good guess....i.e....nothing..

This is Burley's immediate record after leaving Derby :

Heart of Midlothian - Burley was appointed manager of Heart of Midlothian on 30 June 2005. A stunning start to his tenure as Hearts manager saw them top the Scottish Premier League after the first ten games, winning eight of these, including a 4–0 victory over rivals Hibernian – proving themselves to be genuine title challengers. However, he left the club the day after major shareholder Vladimir Romanov, with whom Burley had a notoriously uneasy relationship, announced a bid to take private control of Hearts. A club statement declared his departure was by mutual consent because of irreconcilable differences.[2]

[edit] Southampton - Burley was appointed as Head Coach of Southampton on 23 December 2005 following the departure of Harry Redknapp.[3] The club's technical director, Sir Clive Woodward, was moved sideways to a newly created post as director of football as part of restructuring following Burley's appointment, before eventually leaving the club in August 2006. Following the change in control of the club in July 2006, Burley's title was changed to that of "manager". He guided Southampton to the 2006–07 play-offs but lost on penalties in the second-leg of the semi-final after drawing 4–4 on aggregate against his former club Derby County, who went on to win the final.

So immediately after leaving Derby, Burley got Hearts to the top of the Scottish Premier above Celtic & Rangers, winning 8 of his first 10 games! He then got Soton to the Championship play-offs in his first full season in charge. Not that bad is it Muespach?

EASILY... Are you having a laugh??? Blowing a position of reletive comfort on top of the league in January down to 3rd. Squeaking through the play off semi against Southampton by the skin of our teeth, after surrendering an away goal advantage no less. We were then completely outplayed by West Brom in the final but managed to score during a 10 minute purple patch in the second half, then clung on for dear life. We also survived two penalty claims that 9 times out of 10 on another day would've been given. Yeah, piece of piss wasn't it...

Yes, easily.

We didn't blow anything, we finished third in the league, the third best team in the league, 8 points above the mighty West Brom...who we beat twice that season...! We won away more than any other team in Derby County's history.

We beat West Brom by scoring a goal at a critical time with the best move of the match, the two penalty claims we "survivied" were NOT penalties, but actually very very good tackles and decisions by the ref.

So, yes, over all, as promotions go, it was a piece of pee, yes...and a very very enjoyable season.

And he won, what exactly...?

Nothing....

(and you forgot to mention his AMAZING stay at Palace..!)

Billy Davies hasn't won anything since he got Derby promoted either. Forest are on the fall at the moment and I can't see them going up this season.

As for Burley's stay at Crystal Palace, when he started there, the club was in turmoil and only had 6 senior players, so it would have been a tall order for anyone taking over. He bought alot of the players that are there now, and they're looking good for survival.

I do however agree with you that Billy Davies did very well in getting us promoted in his first season in charge.

Incidentally, who would you like to realistically see as Derby manager?

So immediately after leaving Derby, Burley got Hearts to the top of the Scottish Premier above Celtic & Rangers, winning 8 of his first 10 games! He then got Soton to the Championship play-offs in his first full season in charge. Not that bad is it Muespach?

And he won, what exactly...?

Nothing....

(and you forgot to mention his AMAZING stay at Palace..!)

Billy Davies hasn't won anything since he got Derby promoted either. Forest are on the fall at the moment and I can't see them going up this season.

As for Burley's stay at Crystal Palace, when he started there, the club was in turmoil and only had 6 senior players, so it would have been a tall order for anyone taking over. He bought alot of the players that are there now, and they're looking good for survival.

I do however agree with you that Billy Davies did very well in getting us promoted in his first season in charge.

Incidentally, who would you like to realistically see as Derby manager?

i think one of the most IMPORTANT stats in that list is the 450 odd games that Cox had....no knee jerk reaction to him not getting us out of Division 3 straight away and look where it got us. I think we need to go out on a limb and keep Nigel, stick with him and hope he eventually gets it right.

There is too much change for changes sake, we aren't going to go up in the next couple of years no matter who we get in charge, so I would stick with Nigel and the long term plan.

But personally I would have offered Billy anything he wanted to keep him when he was talking about walking out.

i think one of the most IMPORTANT stats in that list is the 450 odd games that Cox had....no knee jerk reaction to him not getting us out of Division 3 straight away and look where it got us. I think we need to go out on a limb and keep Nigel, stick with him and hope he eventually gets it right.

There is too much change for changes sake, we aren't going to go up in the next couple of years no matter who we get in charge, so I would stick with Nigel and the long term plan.

But personally I would have offered Billy anything he wanted to keep him when he was talking about walking out.

Personally, I would have kept Billy Davies at the time too. I'm not a huge fan of his, what with his constant moaning etc, but he was better than Paul Jewell.

Arthur Cox was a very good manager at Derby, but he did have a proven record beforehand in Division 2 (now known as the Championship), getting Newcastle promoted. Nigel hasn't got a proven record like this, and there's no evidence that he's ever going to improve. I'm all for backing a manager long term, but the important thing is we have to back the RIGHT manager, not the wrong one. Backing the wrong manager long term would be disasterous. I'd love Nigel to be the right man for the job, but I think the job's just too big for him.

How much money did Burley spend?

Idiakez, Rasziak, Jeff Kenna, Michael Johnson, Ian Taylor,Paul Peschisolido were all free transfers.

In over 2 years in charge, has Clough come anywhere near 'frees' of that calibre?

Didn't Burley bring in Leon Osman on loan? The most successful loan transfer in the history of this club, & probably the best we'll ever have.

Maybe Burley's lost his mojo in the intervening years, but I'd still take him over Clough & his cohorts.

Add Makin, Reich and Bisgaard and you have more. Plus youth players Boertein, Camp, Bolder, Hudds, Tudgay and Pablo Mills..

Burley did an unbelievable job, when you consider the top 6 that season.. 1st Sunderland 2nd Wigan 3rd Ipswich 4th DCFC 5th Preston 6th West Ham.

3 of those are PL clubs, and all had tonnes more money than us. Ipswich finished in the playoffs the year before and Preston had a decent squad under Billy Davies.

I'm almost certain had he stayed, or given even an ounce of money to bring in some of the players he had at Hearts, we would have walked the league the following season.

Also of the original post, it's unfair to rate the likes of Gregory, Todd, Jewell all took over a relegation-threatened squad, therefore a tad unfair to compare.. Theres an arguement the same can be said for Clough, but then again were not losing to Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea.. Were losing to the likes of Donny, Millwall and Bristol City.

If you're trying to convince people Billy D is a better manager than GB then you're talking sh*te..

Did he do a better job? How can you say, he spent 6mill+ and finished 3rd. GB spent nothing and finished 4th.

If you're going on history GBs record beats BDs record hands down.. A 5th place finish and European Football for Ipswich is brilliant.

And by your logic, his track record isn't any different to BDs track record since they left us.. Billy D has a playoff failure to his name, just like GB under Soton.

And there is no proof that he wouldn't have succeeded at Palace. Afterall we scrapped relegation with GB in his first full season in charge.

Archived