Tommy Docherty / 78 / 30.8%

John Gregory / 55 / 29.1%

Peter Taylor / 66 / 28.8%

Colin Todd / 17 / 23.5%

Phil Brown / 33 / 21.2%

Paul Jewell / 58 / 20.7%

Colin Murphy / 35 / 20.0%

John Newman / 35 / 17.1%

Interesting stats there. Very interesting to see George Burley so high up the list. He had one of the worst boards in the club's history, yet was still successful, getting us up to 4th place and playing some fantastic football. I'd love to see him back at Derby.

Interesting stats there. Very interesting to see George Burley so high up the list. He had one of the worst boards in the club's history, yet was still successful, getting us up to 4th place and playing some fantastic football. I'd love to see him back at Derby.

Certainly are interesting. A lot of people would look back and consider Roy Mac a bad manager for us but his stats say other wise...

As for Burley, depsite his poor showing at Palace, I'd have him back here in a heartbeat...

Not really the best indicative stats.

It should really be the % wins over the same number of games for each manager to give a true comparison

The more games a manager has then the more chances he has to up his win ratio.

For example Arthur Cox reached 40.6% of wins over 453 games whilst John Gregory reached 29.1% over only 55 games.

To truly compare you would have to say “How many wins did Arthur Cox reach in his first 55 gamesâ€

or how many wins would Gregory have had if he’d been given another 400 go’s! (which we’ll never know)

Yes, interesting to see Burley higher up the list than Davies...like someone else has said...just numbers...

I prefer to look at it as...who did the job they were paid to do....get us promoted...win the league

Brian Clough YES

Dave Mackay YES

Arthur Cox YES

Jim Smith YES

Billy Davies YES

The rest...... a resounding NO..and some of them in a mind blowingly bad way...

A bad board, but he spent money. I wouldn't particularly want him back.

They are really interesting stats.

I believe he only spent a net of £50k in transfer fees, that was on Michael Johnson, the rest of the signings were free transfers. I don't think the wages spent on the squad back then were particularly high either. One of the things that I like about George Burley is how good he is at nurturing young talent. He has helped to start the careers of players such as Kieron Dyer, Darren Bent, Gareth Bale and our very own Tom Huddlestone and Lee Camp. Not enough players come through our youth system these days.

How much money did Burley spend?

Idiakez, Rasziak, Jeff Kenna, Michael Johnson, Ian Taylor,Paul Peschisolido were all free transfers.

In over 2 years in charge, has Clough come anywhere near 'frees' of that calibre?

Didn't Burley bring in Leon Osman on loan? The most successful loan transfer in the history of this club, & probably the best we'll ever have.

Maybe Burley's lost his mojo in the intervening years, but I'd still take him over Clough & his cohorts.

Just looking at that list - how many were sacked and how many resigned?

I'm thinking that almost all were sacked?

I know that both Arthur Cox and George Burley resigned. Arthur Cox due to a bad back, and George Burley probably because he didn't get on with the three amigos.

Idiakez, Rasziak, Jeff Kenna, Michael Johnson, Ian Taylor,Paul Peschisolido were all free transfers.

In over 2 years in charge, has Clough come anywhere near 'frees' of that calibre?

Didn't Burley bring in Leon Osman on loan? The most successful loan transfer in the history of this club, & probably the best we'll ever have.

Maybe Burley's lost his mojo in the intervening years, but I'd still take him over Clough & his cohorts.

Totally agree. George still thinks alot of Derby too, I was reading an interview on the BBC website from earlier in the season:

[iNDENT]Burley takes Palace to his former club Derby County on Saturday and says he's looking forward to returning to Pride Park where he spent two seasons but resigned claiming his position was "untenable".

"I really enjoyed my time at Derby, the fans were terrific and it was a great club to work for," he said.

"In football you move on and I've been at a number of good Championship sides over the years where I've been very fortunate to be the manager.

"But they are very loyal fans, great traditions since the Brian Clough era, they really love their football and there's always a good atmosphere at Pride Park." [/iNDENT]

Totally agree. George still thinks alot of Derby too, I was reading an interview on the BBC website from earlier in the season:

[iNDENT]Burley takes Palace to his former club Derby County on Saturday and says he's looking forward to returning to Pride Park where he spent two seasons but resigned claiming his position was "untenable".

"I really enjoyed my time at Derby, the fans were terrific and it was a great club to work for," he said.

"In football you move on and I've been at a number of good Championship sides over the years where I've been very fortunate to be the manager.

"But they are very loyal fans, great traditions since the Brian Clough era, they really love their football and there's always a good atmosphere at Pride Park." [/iNDENT]

Has he been drinking again?

Yep, all great players...but where did it get us...exactly nowhere...but when Mr Davies came in and got rid of them all...what happened then...?

I would say that apart from his days at Ipswich that Burley has a less than average record as a manager, in fact, after the mess he made in charge of Scotland, Southampton and Palace I would say he actually has a pretty pathetic record.

Yep, all great players...but where did it get us...exactly nowhere...but when Mr Davies came in and got rid of them all...what happened then...?

I would say that apart from his days at Ipswich that Burley has a less than average record as a manager, in fact, after the mess he made in charge of Scotland, Southampton and Palace I would say he actually has a pretty pathetic record.

Well I don't think that Burley could have done any better than he did at Derby. When you've not no money to spend at all and you manage to finish 4th in the league with a team of players bought on free transfers, that's a pretty incredible achievement if you ask me!

Where did it get us?

Burley took us over when we were staring relegation in the face due to Gregory's incompetence & kept us up 2002/3. By 2004/5 despite spending naff all, he had us finishing 4th.

Davies got rid of 'em all did he? Rasiak was sold for £2.5mill before Davies came in. Did the great Billy Davies make a net profit of £2.5mill from any of his transfer dealings? Davies took over from Phil Brown/Terry Westley, by which time Taylor/Kenna had retired & Reich had already moved on. Huddlestone, Tudgay & Camp all broke through under Burley, Hudds & Tuggy were sold before Davies arrived.

The only regulars from Burley's Play-off team that Davies inherited were Michael Johnson, Morten Bisgaard, Paul Peschisolido & Lee Camp. The first 3 named all made significant contributions to the Davies Promotion campaign.

Where did it get us?

Burley took us over when we were staring relegation in the face due to Gregory's incompetence & kept us up 2002/3. By 2004/5 despite spending naff all, he had us finishing 4th.

Davies got rid of 'em all did he? Rasiak was sold for £2.5mill before Davies came in. Did the great Billy Davies make a net profit of £2.5mill from any of his transfer dealings? Davies took over from Phil Brown/Terry Westley, by which time Taylor/Kenna had retired & Reich had already moved on. Huddlestone, Tudgay & Camp all broke through under Burley, Hudds & Tuggy were sold before Davies arrived.

The only regulars from Burley's Play-off team that Davies inherited were Michael Johnson, Morten Bisgaard, Paul Peschisolido & Lee Camp. The first 3 named all made significant contributions to the Davies Promotion campaign.

And....? What did Burley win us..?? Absolutely nothing..

Football is all about winning....Davies defeated Burley twice in the play offs..he is a winner...Burley isn't.

Archived