Only thing Glick is buying is himself time

ramexpat

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have said openly they want us to live within our means. I think when we wouldn't stump up 1million for Sharp then there is your answer. We are looking to pay 300-600k for the Jamie Ward's, Connor Salmons, Theo Robinsons of this world. Average run of the mill squad players.

Lets be honest the two or three 1mill+ signings have never materialised and won't do over the summer. The strategy is to penny pinch so GSE don't have to chuck the club money each year as they are doing and have done, while trying to maintain our current league status. They are no way going to spend 6,7,8 mill needed to transform the sqaud, that is too much risk for them.

However, in saying all of that, they are our current owners and I think there is a will just not a way.

Well I am glad they won't spend £6 to £8 million. We should be able put together a title winning squad for half of that.

Well I am glad they won't spend £6 to £8 million. We should be able put together a title winning squad for half of that.

Maybe you're right.

But Billy did that for £5,625,00 plus a couple of QUALITY loans (Stead, Lupoli and Mears) and free transfers (Oakley).

Don't think Clough is able to put together a title winning squad in THIS league though.

Billy Davies - (David Jones and Steve Howard £1m each)

Paul Jewell - (Rob Hulse £1,75) That's it for the last 10 years.

With Verney, who you added, is that it? Are they the only ones in 10 years? Yet we need £1m plus players now. I don't care how much the players cost, I just want some sort of indication we can scout good players and have some sort of plan for progression on the pitch, I don't see one yet and we just hear the whinging about not having money for £1m plus players.

I probably get told to remember when we were 4th as indication on the pitch and get given Brayford, Bailey, Cywka and Barker as players. That's 4 players, just 4 in over 2 years and having pulled in over 40 players including loans.

Yes, they are. I can't remember Gregory, Burley and Brown spending any money.

But it's all the boards fault though and of course it's nothing to do with Nigel, he's a miracle worker he's reduced so much cost including the after match drinks with his turning water into wine ability.

But it's all the boards fault though and of course it's nothing to do with Nigel, he's a miracle worker he's reduced so much cost including the after match drinks with his turning water into wine ability.

God you're right. Get the rope and buring torches and string 'im up!

No, they didn't. But i still think Burley did a great job.

That was the best team since Bald Eagle era. By the way, why was Burley sacked?

Burley wasnt sacked.

he quit, which when you consider how the 3 amigos scenario turned out, then he did the right thing. he also quit his next job at Hearts due to the problems he had with their chairman!

Burley worked miracles with the squad he had, and getting some serious quality in on next to no money. Pesch, Tommy Smith, Rasiak, Idiakez etc

Which was proved the next season when Brown couldnt get anywhere.

With Verney, who you added, is that it? Are they the only ones in 10 years? Yet we need £1m plus players now. I don't care how much the players cost, I just want some sort of indication we can scout good players and have some sort of plan for progression on the pitch, I don't see one yet and we just hear the whinging about not having money for £1m plus players.

I probably get told to remember when we were 4th as indication on the pitch and get given Brayford, Bailey, Cywka and Barker as players. That's 4 players, just 4 in over 2 years and having pulled in over 40 players including loans.

Do you think Clough has absolutely nobody in mind when thinking about 6 proven/established/class championship players?

I'm pretty certain he'll have a note pad full of names in each position from each division that he's interested in signing. Signing players however is a different matter.

I wonder what kind of figures he is given to work with, or if he just points in the direction of a player and tells Glick his name. This is what puzzles me the most, what his budgets are, including wage.

Burley wasnt sacked.

he quit, which when you consider how the 3 amigos scenario turned out, then he did the right thing. he also quit his next job at Hearts due to the problems he had with their chairman!

Burley worked miracles with the squad he had, and getting some serious quality in on next to no money. Pesch, Tommy Smith, Rasiak, Idiakez etc

Which was proved the next season when Brown couldnt get anywhere.

You are certainly right but I remember there was some sort of a story about his addiction to alcohol before he was fired / quit.

Burley Denies Drink Claim

Former Town manager George Burley has denied allegations made to a number of Derby County players that he turned up to training sessions drunk after the Rams' play-off defeat to Preston.

According to reports, a club official asked four players to give evidence, highlighting occasions when the former Scotland international full-back had appeared drunk at training and had behaved unprofessionally.

None of the players are understood to have acceded to the request, while a friend of Burley is quoted as describing the accusations as "ludicrous".

Burley unexpectedly took the Rams to the play-offs, however, a boardroom power struggle has continued to destabilise the club.

The 48-year-old boss is understood to have been displeased at the appointment of director of football Murdo Mackay when the club was taken over last summer, and moves have reportedly been made towards forcing Burley out of his job.

Derby are yet to make a comment on the matter, while Burley may approach the League Managers' Association to assist in his defence.

I guess it's rubbish though.

You are certainly right but I remember there was some sort of a story about his addiction to alcohol before he was fired / quit.

Burley Denies Drink Claim

Former Town manager George Burley has denied allegations made to a number of Derby County players that he turned up to training sessions drunk after the Rams' play-off defeat to Preston.

According to reports, a club official asked four players to give evidence, highlighting occasions when the former Scotland international full-back had appeared drunk at training and had behaved unprofessionally.

None of the players are understood to have acceded to the request, while a friend of Burley is quoted as describing the accusations as "ludicrous".

Burley unexpectedly took the Rams to the play-offs, however, a boardroom power struggle has continued to destabilise the club.

The 48-year-old boss is understood to have been displeased at the appointment of director of football Murdo Mackay when the club was taken over last summer, and moves have reportedly been made towards forcing Burley out of his job.

Derby are yet to make a comment on the matter, while Burley may approach the League Managers' Association to assist in his defence.

I guess it's rubbish though.

Wasn't he 'supposedly' knocking off a player's missus...

I'd like to stress that what I just said is pure speculation and not my opinion or the opinion of any other members, contributors or administrators of DCFCFans.co.uk it's parents or affiliates...

He certainly did an amazing job, but that's what you get with experienced managers...

• 3 months later...

Old posts, but the title says it all. Glick is not a bad bloke imo but finds himself in a foreign country and in charge of a "soccer" club. I don't dislike him but still feel he is well overpaid for the "contribution" he brings to Derby. Gonna stop there as no doubt been done to death...

Old posts, but the title says it all. Glick is not a bad bloke imo but finds himself in a foreign country and in charge of a "soccer" club. I don't dislike him but still feel he is well overpaid for the "contribution" he brings to Derby. Gonna stop there as no doubt been done to death...

I don't think the debate is dead yet, recent event must change some people's opinions.

To be honest, I think Glick does a very undesirable job, it's just as well he's paid that much. He has to tow the party line without necessarily believing in it himself, I'm pretty sure Glick's been in board meetings begging for more money - surely he'd want to make his job (and indeed his life) a lot easier considering the abuse he gets when walking down the street?

I think Glick is, for the most part, a good guy as most people say. I really think he's got stuck in to it and you could be kidded in to thinking he actually enjoys what he does - you don't get that from many club CEOs, do you?

The good thing is that he finally seems to have recognised that he needs more experience around him, hence the who DoF idea. The league clearly thinks he's no mug though, didn't he get appointed in to some role within the FL?

Also, why is it that I seem to have ended every paragraph with a quesion in this post?

Who am I actually asking these questions to?

Glick and his wingman Clough have both said that new faces and even a "overhaul" will happen in the summer (sounds great),,, Experienced Championship players to come in (sounds great),, what does Experienced Championship players mean ,, is Jamie Ward a experienced championship player ? ,, is Nathan Tyson ? or are they talking about a Michael Boulding type of player that has history of half a season in the Championship ,, this thread is not about who they will get in but more about do you actually believe the Hype what Glick and Clough are saying or are they just putting on a front to keep the heat low.

Proof that some people can never be satisfied. All i get from this is blah blah blah spin spin spin.

Jamie Ward and Nathan Tyson I recall are both players that have reached the playoffs at least once in the last 3 seasons and have we? Noooooooo

Archived