Only thing Glick is buying is himself time

ramexpat

Glick and his wingman Clough have both said that new faces and even a "overhaul" will happen in the summer (sounds great),,, Experienced Championship players to come in (sounds great),, what does Experienced Championship players mean ,, is Jamie Ward a experienced championship player ? ,, is Nathan Tyson ? or are they talking about a Michael Boulding type of player that has history of half a season in the Championship ,, this thread is not about who they will get in but more about do you actually believe the Hype what Glick and Clough are saying or are they just putting on a front to keep the heat low.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glick and his wingman Clough have both said that new faces and even a "overhaul" will happen in the summer (sounds great),,, Experienced Championship players to come in (sounds great),, what does Experienced Championship players mean ,, is Jamie Ward a experienced championship player ? ,, is Nathan Tyson ? or are they talking about a Michael Boulding type of player that has history of half a season in the Championship ,, this thread is not about who they will get in but more about do you actually believe the Hype what Glick and Clough are saying or are they just putting on a front to keep the heat low.

It's moving towards an interesting end game. I think you're wrong to confuse professionalism on behalf of Clough as tacit confirmation of GSE policy.

I think the most telling message from yesterday's radio dialogue was Glick sounding all plausible in the money will be spent, whilst Clough almost laughed at the suggestion that any of those players would be in £1.5million bracket when questioned.

I don't care what Glick comes out with, Clough is still going to have to be scratching around for freebies and out-of-contract players, given what was said yesterday.

That's not to say the signings won't be very good - Commons was a free afterall - just that this talk of finally investing in a promotion challenge DOESN'T mean that he's going have a few million to spent on competing with other clubs for the best talent at this level.

I don't doubt that they're planning already and looking at options - but I would stake a dollar on those options being who's out of contract in the summer and available on a Bosman.

Almost as an aside (I'm sure it's being debated elsewhere) but for the first time yesterday I felt pretty sure that Glick was just ducking the questions and there's absolutely no substance on the GSE plan.

They've not excatly lied about anything. Glick says the board have invested in the squad which they have (not to the levels what we want) ;) So you should believe the hype! :p

However if they're talking about a major overhaul, you may as well get another manager in to do that

I don't think GSE are trying to buy time. Afterall, they will go on their own terms unless a credible and financially viable alternative comes our way. They bought into Derby because they thought they could turn a profit by adding value. No one doubts the financial clout the Prem brings. GSE are trying to manage fan expectation.

The question is whether their philosophy is compatible with that of supporters. Living within our means sounds sensible and frugal but the reality of that is freebies, loanees, and young players commanding fees in the 200-500k range. Exciting it ain't and the only way it seems palatable is if it gives us a sound financial footing in the future to be able to pay higher fees and wages and improve our squad above and beyond that of our rivals. The thing is though it doesn't make sense to cut and trim to get into a sound financial position and try get players of the calibre of Hulse and Commons when we let them go in the first place!

My view is we are cutting back too sharp too soon. We have missed out on players to rivals in key positions (CF, CM, CB) and are now reaping what we have sown.

I don't think GSE are trying to buy time. Afterall, they will go on their own terms unless a credible and financially viable alternative comes our way. They bought into Derby because they thought they could turn a profit by adding value. No one doubts the financial clout the Prem brings. GSE are trying to manage fan expectation.

The question is whether their philosophy is compatible with that of supporters. Living within our means sounds sensible and frugal but the reality of that is freebies, loanees, and young players commanding fees in the 200-500k range. Exciting it ain't and the only way it seems palatable is if it gives us a sound financial footing in the future to be able to pay higher fees and wages and improve our squad above and beyond that of our rivals. The thing is though it doesn't make sense to cut and trim to get into a sound financial position and try get players of the calibre of Hulse and Commons when we let them go in the first place!

My view is we are cutting back too sharp too soon. We have missed out on players to rivals in key positions (CF, CM, CB) and are now reaping what we have sown.

GSE are not trying to buy time, they are probably looking to get it on loan haha !!!

Don't really get this argument that there will suddenly be a pot of gold. We're on a 'sound financial footing' precisely because we are shopping in the bargain basement and paying pretty low wages. Short of us getting promoted there is no real scope for a big increase in turnover. In fact, the opposite is likely - with dwindling ticket sales etc. So I'd expect us to continue to be a selling club paying lower wages - but maintaining this precious 'financial stability' in whatever division we find ourselves.

Don't really get this argument that there will suddenly be a pot of gold. We're on a 'sound financial footing' precisely because we are shopping in the bargain basement and paying pretty low wages. Short of us getting promoted there is no real scope for a big increase in turnover. In fact, the opposite is likely - with dwindling ticket sales etc. So I'd expect us to continue to be a selling club paying lower wages - but maintaining this precious 'financial stability' in whatever division we find ourselves.

The investors/board seem open to changing their strategy (they went from boom or bust, to slow build), have they realised fans won't tolerate this and are now considering giving Clough a wedge of money on the back of 2 years of cost cutting? Or is this another ploy prior to season ticket renewal?

Only time would tell but I would love to hear Glick asked this question and pledge a sum of money to be invested prior to taking season ticket money.

The investors/board seem open to changing their strategy (they went from boom or bust, to slow build), have they realised fans won't tolerate this and are now considering giving Clough a wedge of money on the back of 2 years of cost cutting? Or is this another ploy prior to season ticket renewal?

Only time would tell but I would love to hear Glick asked this question and pledge a sum of money to be invested prior to taking season ticket money.

Not sure they ever spent their own money on 's*** or bust'. From memory Jewell actually turned a profit on transfer fees the summer we came down. We brought in a ludicrous amount of frees - but then we had a guaranteed ten million from the second installment of parachute cash. Drastic cuts began as soon as that was gone.

Not sure they ever spent their own money on 's*** or bust'. From memory Jewell actually turned a profit on transfer fees the summer we came down. We brought in a ludicrous amount of frees - but then we had a guaranteed ten million from the second installment of parachute cash. Drastic cuts began as soon as that was gone.

Their club so their money being spent.

Regardless of how and where the money goes, if the investors are having to put capitalise their loans at the end of every season they are investing money in the club surely?

Their club so their money being spent.

Regardless of how and where the money goes, if the investors are having to put capitalise their loans at the end of every season they are investing money in the club surely?

point being I'm not sure there is any evidence they are planning - or willing - to invest large sums on the team unless it is guaranteed they will get their money back. Which clearly there cannot be.

point being I'm not sure there is any evidence they are planning - or willing - to invest large sums on the team unless it is guaranteed they will get their money back. Which clearly there cannot be.

Nor is there any evidence to the contrary. This is where I feel GSE are slipping up, there is just no communication to the fans of what the strategy is.

Nor is there any evidence to the contrary. This is where I feel GSE are slipping up, there is just no communication to the fans of what the strategy is.

They have said openly they want us to live within our means. I think when we wouldn't stump up 1million for Sharp then there is your answer. We are looking to pay 300-600k for the Jamie Ward's, Connor Salmons, Theo Robinsons of this world. Average run of the mill squad players.

Lets be honest the two or three 1mill+ signings have never materialised and won't do over the summer. The strategy is to penny pinch so GSE don't have to chuck the club money each year as they are doing and have done, while trying to maintain our current league status. They are no way going to spend 6,7,8 mill needed to transform the sqaud, that is too much risk for them.

However, in saying all of that, they are our current owners and I think there is a will just not a way.

Archived