Why I've been quiet...

Bristol Ram

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's this bit that's getting to me.

Why should a fully-fledged, long-term member who is fully aware of the rules and ethos of the forum get away with disparaging comments, whilst a new member, unaccustomed to the board who may be still used to things on the DET gets slapped with a ban?

Should a new member join a forum and start calling people *****? no, they would get a Yellow card and told the reason why, if they continue with the language towards other members then bye bye.

It's this bit that's getting to me.

Why should a fully-fledged, long-term member who is fully aware of the rules and ethos of the forum get away with disparaging comments, whilst a new member, unaccustomed to the board who may be still used to things on the DET gets slapped with a ban?

Cheers

I can see how this could be misunderstood. To me, it looks like the mods take a view on the poster's history and also the context of the potentially offensive post before taking a view on any action. As Boycie said, the forum has always had a history of banter between posters and that can often stray into territory which, to the newcomer or outside observer, may seem unnecessary, inappropriate and/or offensive. But those same 2 people meeting down the pub might have exactly the same exchange, and it all be taken in the right spirit. If the posters in question have been around on the forum for a while then the mods get to know them and so can make a better informed decision. But if a poster just turns up and starts laying into other posters, then you can understand why they might be clamped down on more quickly.

Commendably, the mods and admins want to preserve the original spirit of the forum. It's a fine line to walk, people might have differing views on what they do and why they do it and unless you've done the job (and I haven't) then it can be difficult to understand. I think they're doing a good job in at times testing circumstances.

Expect for Boycie, whose behaviour at times has been quite shocking :D

Should a new member join a forum and start calling people *****? no, they would get a Yellow card and told the reason why, if they continue with the language towards other members then bye bye.

But if say Boycie called me a *****, would the same action be taken?

Cos I don't think it would.

Sorry to be awkward, I'm just trying to work out what the crack is.

But if say Boycie called me a *****, would the same action be taken?

Cos I don't think it would.

Sorry to be awkward, I'm just trying to work out what the crack is.

I would like to think that if Boycie called you a **** he was spot on :D

In all seriousness Hartley Hare has pretty much summed it up, we take into account alot of things when issuing warnings, bans and cards.

You may say we was harsh on both Alex and YR but we didn't give BFB nor HisLordship a 2 week cooling off period.

At the end of the day all we ask is to be civil to one another, not asking for much are we?

That's for clearing it up, Daveo.

A bit more clarity would be nice in future though, if possible? There's been a lot of posts curiousity, so a bit of enlightenment would've been nice.

Anyway, cheers. :)

Anyone can PM us and we'll let you know what the situation is, don't be scared we don't bite.

I understand exactly why you would clamp down On newer posters and with YR I wasn't here as long as him so I don't know the full story, though from what I did see and this is when Alex comes in, both of them had strong views and their views were often likely to rub people up the wrong way and they often in my eyes got antagonized and pushed to the limits and in my eyes to a stage where they either flipped back or log off.

Now we all know logging off is the right thing to do but at their ages (both teenagers I believe) would you have done that or stood your ground?

I'm not knocking the system don't get me wrong and I think you all do a great job under difficult circumstances but I do think both of them were pushed into a reaction and may not have reported others because it's not in their nature (I know it would take alot to make me report someone )

Thaat being said what's done is done and we can all but only learn, and as I mentioned I don't know all that was said.

I'm not worried about reporting anyone I just don't bother.

I don't mind people pushing it a bit and maybe losing their temper with me after a bad result or something of the sort cause we all do that sometimes. Its just when people go to far and look for your posts and comment against you in every thread which I thought sometimes happened to Alex and YR at times.

Different threads deserve different replies and if I think you have said something stupid on 1 thread I feel I can say that but I may agree with you and have a laugh with you on another at the same time, if I take that bad mood across threads and pull up every post you make and you call me out for it I don't think you should be yellow carded for calling me a ****.

Thankfully I think you all do a good hob but I do think with Alex recently he took aloe of crap and flipped rather than reporting it.

Kinda going on now about the same thing so ill stop now :D

With the Alex W situation, as far as I'm aware, these were his last posts:

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5921&highlight=Anti-Clough&page=3

I don't see what he's done wrong here. It was just a debate with The Ram who seemed a tad sensitive, which I think resulted in a ban for Alex.

Posts would have been pulled so they won't be there, he was given just a 2 week cooling off period without banning his account so it stayed private but came back and posted. That's why it has now been extended.

Posts would have been pulled so they won't be there, he was given just a 2 week cooling off period without banning his account so it stayed private but came back and posted. That's why it has now been extended.

You can still see what he posted because a lot are quoted.

Oh right, how close to the two weeks did he come back?

I'm not worried about reporting anyone I just don't bother.

I don't mind people pushing it a bit and maybe losing their temper with me after a bad result or something of the sort cause we all do that sometimes. Its just when people go to far and look for your posts and comment against you in every thread which I thought sometimes happened to Alex and YR at times.

Different threads deserve different replies and if I think you have said something stupid on 1 thread I feel I can say that but I may agree with you and have a laugh with you on another at the same time, if I take that bad mood across threads and pull up every post you make and you call me out for it I don't think you should be yellow carded for calling me a ****.

Thankfully I think you all do a good hob but I do think with Alex recently he took aloe of crap and flipped rather than reporting it.

Kinda going on now about the same thing so ill stop now :D

Alex's attack was personal, and he knows better, during his 2 week cooling off period, dcfccovdave (davecov) sorry can't remember which way round, was asking about the matchlive and he came on and mentioned his website, he was only trying to be helpful but broke the cooling off period condition.

As for him not coming back on here, he never said anything about it on Sunday.

Archived