Do they not understand?

derbyram1994

Tom Glick said that by going into the loan market we could get premier league quality and instead were looking at a striker who has only been proven in league 2 with chesterfield. He's scored 63 in 9 games for shef utd, and only scored one this season out of 20+ apperances and 14 starts, if shef utd are below us in the table why are we looking at one of their sub strikers.

I hope Gadsby buy's the club purely on that he is passionate and will invest money into derby.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom Glick said that by going into the loan market we could get premier league quality and instead were looking at a striker who has only been proven in league 2 with chesterfield. He's scored 63 in 9 games for shef utd, and only scored one this season out of 20+ apperances and 14 starts, if shef utd are below us in the table why are we looking at one of their sub strikers.

I hope Gadsby buy's the club purely on that he is passionate and will invest money into derby.

Thats one hell of a record :D

To be serious, he fits the role of pacy striker, whether he'll improve our squad for the time being remains to be seen.

He hasn't even signed on the dotted line yet, you could give the guy a chance in a Derby shirt you know?

Billy Sharp wasn't good enough for Sheff Utd either, would you have moaned if we had signed him?

of course i''d give him a chance i'm just saying surely we could be looking at better players, i hope i get proved wrong and he turns out to be really good.

of course i''d give him a chance i'm just saying surely we could be looking at better players, i hope i get proved wrong and he turns out to be really good.

Perhaps what Mr Glick meant is that we could go for Premier League quality provided we only need to pay Championship [ or lower] wages.

Is it me or could that lead to a problem?

It doesn't inspire much confidence but of course, we are buying him (possibly) in the hope that he has nowhere near fulfilled his potential so far and Clough can bring him on. A couple of things worry me about Derby's transfer strategy.

1) we keep bringing in young, unproven players who might be good one day in the future. Surely we need proven talent to help us with the desperate situation we are in right now?

2) After Leeds, Derby are the biggest club outside the premier league. Why do we have the same transfer strategy as the likes of Ssausagehorpe and Barnsley? We should be bringing in high quality players to get us promotion. I don't mind if we bring in a few lower league players every now and then, in fact I find the signings quite interesting. But it's all we ever seem to do these days.

Plus, Nigel is failing to get the best out of the players he already has, which is still an ongoing concern.

It doesn't inspire much confidence but of course, we are buying him (possibly) in the hope that he has nowhere near fulfilled his potential so far and Clough can bring him on. A couple of things worry me about Derby's transfer strategy.

1) we keep bringing in young, unproven players who might be good one day in the future. Surely we need proven talent to help us with the desperate situation we are in right now?

2) After Leeds, Derby are the biggest club outside the premier league. Why do we have the same transfer strategy as the likes of Ssausagehorpe and Barnsley? We should be bringing in high quality players to get us promotion. I don't mind if we bring in a few lower league players every now and then, in fact I find the signings quite interesting. But it's all we ever seem to do these days.

Plus, Nigel is failing to get the best out of the players he already has, which is still an ongoing concern.

I disagree with this. Nigel Clough has bought players who are young that are showing promise (Brayford, Cwyka, Bailey, and to some extent Doyle). My only really big concern with regards to recruitment is that he bought Gareth Roberts - it makes me worry about his judgement.

We don't have the resources to bring in big name players to help our situation. We could barely get the cash to buy Ben Davies, so it's out of the question. If we can get players on a par with Brayford and Bailey I'll be more than happy, but even they cost money that doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

I'm not sure who told you Leeds and Derby are the biggest clubs outside the Prem, but we're no longer the big club people think we are. Attendances are down, we're in a poor position with no money and a distinctly average squad of players (albeit who try very hard). We have no divine right to be in that bracket.

I disagree with this. Nigel Clough has bought players who are young that are showing promise (Brayford, Cwyka, Bailey, and to some extent Doyle). My only really big concern with regards to recruitment is that he bought Gareth Roberts - it makes me worry about his judgement.

We don't have the resources to bring in big name players to help our situation. We could barely get the cash to buy Ben Davies, so it's out of the question. If we can get players on a par with Brayford and Bailey I'll be more than happy, but even they cost money that doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

I'm not sure who told you Leeds and Derby are the biggest clubs outside the Prem, but we're no longer the big club people think we are. Attendances are down, we're in a poor position with no money and a distinctly average squad of players (albeit who try very hard). We have no divine right to be in that bracket.

With regards to Gareth Roberts, I was under the impression that he was considered a solid chap at Doncaster (both by the club and fans). It makes me not so much worried about Clough's choice of playing staff, more his inability to get them to perform to their previous standards.

On the Ben Davis comment - I'm not so deluded as to believe that Derby are sat upon a gold mine, but I don't think "barely" scrapping the cash together is an altogether fair comment. It's been made pretty clear that the money was available, the weakness appears to be the manner in which bids are made - dragging things out with low bids and umming and aaaring over potential purchases to the point we lose out.

surely there will be a press conference to unveil him, the booing campaign can start there

You lot are unbelievable, just unbelievable. On about booing him at a press conference, after he's just signed a contract. I mean what's wrong with just booing him now? Anyone know where he lives? We could go to Sheff Utd training ground and boo I'm there, make him feel at home before he gets here?

You lot are unbelievable, just unbelievable. On about booing him at a press conference, after he's just signed a contract. I mean what's wrong with just booing him now? Anyone know where he lives? We could go to Sheff Utd training ground and boo I'm there, make him feel at home before he gets here?

good thinking, we really should have sent fans out to boo any potential targets just to prepare them

With regards to Gareth Roberts, I was under the impression that he was considered a solid chap at Doncaster (both by the club and fans). It makes me not so much worried about Clough's choice of playing staff, more his inability to get them to perform to their previous standards.

On the Ben Davis comment - I'm not so deluded as to believe that Derby are sat upon a gold mine, but I don't think "barely" scrapping the cash together is an altogether fair comment. It's been made pretty clear that the money was available, the weakness appears to be the manner in which bids are made - dragging things out with low bids and umming and aaaring over potential purchases to the point we lose out.

I hate the 'I know a man who knows a man' that goes on in this forum, but it is a solid, 100% fact that the board were very reluctant to lay down a £50k deposit for Ben Davies until after the Crawley game.

If Roberts was genuinely a solid player, I can't believe that Clough has played such a dramatic part in his demise. In terms of getting the most out of players I'd be inclined to point at players like Brayford, who he has turned in to our best (current) player this season.

Archived