Do they not understand?

derbyram1994

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're suggesting a team is as big as the titles and trophies they've won in the past? Yet Sheffield Wednesday who are struggling in League 1 have won 4 League Titles, 3 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and a Community Shield. Do they still have the players they had when they won all these trophies? No they do not.

Somehow I think your logic is 'bizarre' not mine.

It probably depends on the era you grew up in.

Outside the current prem the "biggest" clubs to me are,

Leeds

Derby

Sheff Wed

Forest

Sheff Utd

Southampton

Ipswich

Leicester

Norwich

Boro

Coventry

Bristol City

I would class nearly half the Prem as smaller than Derby....

Stoke

Wolves

WBA

Wigan

Fulham

Bolton

Blackburn

Birmingham

Blackpool

Not based on any scientific facts, honours, wealth, history as such. Just my perception growing up.

Fan base wise, i would say Wolves and Stoke are very similar to us.

Don't understand some of the logic that goes with 'big club' etc..

We can point to support, but that doesn't make us a bigger club. Newcastle, S'Land and Villa get as many or me through their gates than Liverpool and Chelsea.. Bigger clubs, I doubt it..

How big a club is IMO is how well they're known to the outside world.. I can say say that I've been fortunate in my young age to have lived in 5 different countries, and I can safely say virtually no-one had heard of DCFC.. Even mad football fans, they can name big clubs plus PL clubs, but when I say Derby, it's the same response.. 'Who?' or 'I don't know them'

Fulham, Stoke, West Ham, Brum, Leeds, Wolves, Bolton etc. all have recent history on us, they've all made big money signings.. I honestly can't imagine DCFC ever making a 10mill signing from abroad.. Plus everytime we look to have a very good player on our hands they're sold.. Asanovic, Baiano, Eranio, Wanchope, Stimac, Seth Johnson (PL), Riggott.. How many left us to 'further their career' only to go to the likes of West Ham, Boro or Leeds.

We're no bigger than Coventry, Soton, Ipswich, Forest IMO.

Don't understand some of the logic that goes with 'big club' etc..

We can point to support, but that doesn't make us a bigger club. Newcastle, S'Land and Villa get as many or me through their gates than Liverpool and Chelsea.. Bigger clubs, I doubt it..

How big a club is IMO is how well they're known to the outside world.. I can say say that I've been fortunate in my young age to have lived in 5 different countries, and I can safely say virtually no-one had heard of DCFC.. Even mad football fans, they can name big clubs plus PL clubs, but when I say Derby, it's the same response.. 'Who?' or 'I don't know them'

Fulham, Stoke, West Ham, Brum, Leeds, Wolves, Bolton etc. all have recent history on us, they've all made big money signings.. I honestly can't imagine DCFC ever making a 10mill signing from abroad.. Plus everytime we look to have a very good player on our hands they're sold.. Asanovic, Baiano, Eranio, Wanchope, Stimac, Seth Johnson (PL), Riggott.. How many left us to 'further their career' only to go to the likes of West Ham, Boro or Leeds.

We're no bigger than Coventry, Soton, Ipswich, Forest IMO.

Not sure if you were debating my thoughts or not but its all down to perception....

Looking at it from abroad you are probably right.

In my mind we were up there with the best when we paid a record fee for a defender (twice, Todd and Nish), and were Champions of England twice in 4 years.

At the time, early 70's, Wigan Athletic were in the Northern Premier League.

It probably depends on the era you grew up in.

Outside the current prem the "biggest" clubs to me are,

Leeds

Derby

Sheff Wed

Forest

Sheff Utd

Southampton

Ipswich

Leicester

NorwichBoro

CoventryBristol City

I would class nearly half the Prem as smaller than Derby....

Stoke

WolvesWBA

Wigan

Fulham

Bolton

Blackburn

BirminghamBlackpool

Not based on any scientific facts, honours, wealth, history as such. Just my perception growing up.

Fan base wise, i would say Wolves and Stoke are very similar to us.

I'd say the underlined are in the wrong column. See where your coming from though. I would love birminghams team.

Not sure if you were debating my thoughts or not but its all down to perception....

Looking at it from abroad you are probably right.

In my mind we were up there with the best when we paid a record fee for a defender (twice, Todd and Nish), and were Champions of England twice in 4 years.

At the time, early 70's, Wigan Athletic were in the Northern Premier League.

Sorry I wasn't being clear.. I wasn't alive when DCFC had it's glory days, but if we broke the record fee for a defender twice, plus 2 Championships in 4 years people probably looked at us the same as people now may look at Chelsea..

But the game has evolved, and where teams were once great it's nigh on impossible to achieve that again.. Like Sheff Wed and Huddlesfield, I just can't see them as big-clubs and I definately don't see them in the PL anytime soon.

I guess my opinion generally stems from the past 20 years and peoples perception on the club.. When I weigh into the fact that support is generally irrelevant (Villareal have lower gates than us for example), hardly anyone abroad knows we exist and that we haven't been able to keep anyone of decent quality for more than a few years I think we're a general run of the mill club who doesn't deserve to in the PL (until we get there of course).

Thats why i said its down to perception and the era you grew up in.

We don't deserve to be in the prem but we are still a huge club compared to Wigan.

I think I look at only Blackpool and Wigan in the PL and I think, yes we're bigger clubs than them..

But Wigan if they stay in the PL another 5 years and we don't go up in the next 5 years I'll change my mind..

When we compare the two sides over the past 10-20 years, Wigan have had the better players, higher finishes, cup finals, bought players for more money (there record is 6mill I think), sold players for higher (Palacios 18mill, Valencia 15mill), and are probably now more well known around the world.. Especially in these parts (Latin America+South America) due to the likes of Palacios, Rodallega, Valencia, Figeroa.. The only thing we have on them is more fans, 2 Titles and better players stretching over an 6-7 year period or so in the 70s.

IMO we're not a huge club in comparison to them. We're bigger now, but I fear not for long.

The ONLY way you can determine the size of a club is by the number of followers, that is the only fair way to determine the size of a club. I don't believe the on field success or history plays a part in the size of a club IMO, it should just be done on the number of followers.

I don't think it matters any more, football is based purely on media time and money and also the thing we haven't got (ambition)

we have around 26k a game, which has dropped significantly.. Im I still right in saying we're the best supported team in the championship? I haven't checked, however take any player in the game at the moment.. if we was to offer him 5k a week and QPR who we're significantly bigger than in terms of everything bar the ability in the squad offered him the same, he would go there.

We can't rely on our past to bring in players, nor our fan base.. I don't think any incoming player could personally give a toss if steve bloomer is watching or not.

The ONLY way you can determine the size of a club is by the number of followers, that is the only fair way to determine the size of a club. I don't believe the on field success or history plays a part in the size of a club IMO, it should just be done on the number of followers.

I don't think it matters any more, football is based purely on media time and money and also the thing we haven't got (ambition)

we have around 26k a game, which has dropped significantly.. Im I still right in saying we're the best supported team in the championship? I haven't checked, however take any player in the game at the moment.. if we was to offer him 5k a week and QPR who we're significantly bigger than in terms of everything bar the ability in the squad offered him the same, he would go there.

We can't rely on our past to bring in players, nor our fan base.. I don't think any incoming player could personally give a toss if steve bloomer is watching or not.

But is that supporters around the world, supporters in a city or supporters that turn up to the stadium?.. As it would be daft to say S'Land and Newcastle are bigger than Chelsea and Liverpool.. However, more supporters in general around the world come from onfield success and over-hyping in the media.. Hence why the majority of Asia are either Real Madrid or Man Utd fans.

I honestly think Nottm Forest have more fans than Derby County, Nottm afterall is the bigger city, yet attendances suggest otherwise.. Does that make DCFC the bigger club? I don't know.

Also what makes a club the best supported? More fans in the stadium.. But should Leicester make all tickets $5 they'd sell out everygame.. Would they then be the best supported?

100% agree on your player choice. Players look at finances, future ambition and family reasons for moving to a club. Not history or how many supporters turn up to the stadium. Hence why Commons left to go to Celtic, and Sammon chose Wigan over us. Currently DCFC can only out-do teams currently in a higher league position than us through money (perm signings).

Archived