belper.dcfc

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why did he change the team today

we played 442 last week and almost came away with 3 points

leaving Cywka and Bueno on the bench over savage and pringle

just shows he as lost it

He said he changed the team to handle 4 -3 -3, because we have not done well against it before

On the defeat he said: "We will probably take responsibility for that, we set up in a certain way to try and stop Leicester and it turned out we were far too negative and tentative.

Half time was the opportunity to reorganise.

On the defeat he said: "We will probably take responsibility for that, we set up in a certain way to try and stop Leicester and it turned out we were far too negative and tentative.

In all fairness, forced or not, at half time he did.

I've got some respect for clough for this. Man enough to say he changed it, explain a legitimate reason why and admit it was a c0ck up. Fair play to him

No Manager can be totally responsible for any results. However they do pick the team, try and motivate and generally provide the tactics. Whilst I am not certain that defeats are the sole responsibility of any Manager, I would say that ours today wasn't helped by the formation of the team, the players in the team, and the fact that Leicester were the better team. They had quality where it counted. We didn't even have one worthwhile effort on goal the whole game! :frown:

As Norfolk said, to be fair, he did take that opportunity.

Still can't fathom why a player we signed from Ilkeston Town was picked above a player we signed from Real Vallodolid. For me, Bueno would have to have shot Ben Davies in the foot with an air rifle or something to lose his place in the team to Pringle. Even Shaun Barker would be better there than Ben Pringle.

Selection was more of an issue than tactics for me today. I understood what we were trying to do, but not who we were trying to do it with.

i agree with you totally Duracell, no way is Pringle a championship player much as i like his dyed hair. Team to start against Scunny allowing for Pearo being injured:

Bywater (unless Fielding in on loan)

Brayford Barker Ayala Roberts

Green Addison Bailey (if fit) Cywka

Bueno Davies, S.

i agree with you totally Duracell, no way is Pringle a championship player much as i like his dyed hair. Team to start against Scunny allowing for Pearo being injured:

Bywater (unless Fielding in on loan)

Brayford Barker Ayala Roberts

Green Addison Bailey (if fit) Cywka

Bueno Davies, S.

Don't think you can play 4-4-2 with Addison and Bailey as the two central players. They're both defensive. Most likely we'll stick with 5 in the middle.

Don't think you can play 4-4-2 with Addison and Bailey as the two central players. They're both defensive. Most likely we'll stick with 5 in the middle.

I don't think it will be five man midfield like today. Maybe back to the 4231 but clough did state the 5 man midfield was set out to stop Leicester, even if it did fail.

In all fairness, forced or not, at half time he did.

I've got some respect for clough for this. Man enough to say he changed it, explain a legitimate reason why and admit it was a c0ck up. Fair play to him

The trouble is Clough has made too many c0ck ups and now is the time for him to go. Anyone could see that playing that formation AT HOME you concede the initiative to Fester. Rubbish team selection. Not for the first time either.

The trouble is Clough has made too many c0ck ups and now is the time for him to go. Anyone could see that playing that formation AT HOME you concede the initiative to Fester. Rubbish team selection. Not for the first time either.

The thing is it's not just the team that has lost confidence. You can see in Nigel's team and tactics that he's lost his nerve in terms of going out and trying to play attacking exciting football. You can understand it because of the run we're on. These defensive tactics cropped up a few games ago, certainly not at the start of the run, and we appear to have abandoned the style of the first half of the season and gone back to last seasons 'let's not lose' style. It was horrible to watch last season and it's horrible to watch this season. We're going with an attitude of doing enough to scrape enough points to survive. I don't think the confidence will return at all this season because the team is being sent out with a defensive mindset and I think (and these are only an opinion not fact) that the club as a whole has had it's confidence knocked out of it.

Personally, and obviously I'm not a manager, but I think we'd be better off going for an attacking approach for the rest of the season rather than the men behind the ball and knock it forward attitude we have now.

Nigel needs to instil the confidence back into the team, not rip them to shreds and send them out to defend.

He certainly didn't rip them to shreds last night post match.

He accepted resonsibility for the result, and was pleased he did so.

He did mention briefly the Pompey scenario, but praised Cywka for his performance last night.

We now have a run of games against teams looking likely to to mid to lower half teams. Even during our good run loads if people were saying we were a mid table team. If that is true it is results against other mid table and lower teams that were always going to be key.

In this bad run how many teams have we list to that are outside the current top 8? 4 being Bristol, Watford, Reading and Ipswich. In two of those games we maybe should have got something. Watford are a team capable of getting into play off contention.

Our next 5 games are against teams that look set for midtable or lower finishes. Ssausagehorpe and Sheff United are important games, winning puts more points between us and the bottom three and could help us catch some above. We are only 6 points fro

13th place.

Hull is important not to lose if we are to have any chance to get up to midtable.

Doncaster, our game in hand on teams above and some below us, is another against a mid table looking team and a match we should have chance of winning.

With an aim of being midtable our season was always going to be dictated by results against bottom half clubs plus a couple of wins or draws against top 10 teams. So far we have lost to only 4 of the current bottom half teams, and beaten 2 and drawn with 2 of the top half.

We have 8 games left against the current top half of the table and 8 against current bottom half. It is going to a battle but if we can do what we did before and take points off the bottom half clubs then we will be comfortably safe.

I've not read the post on this thread, but I looked at the thread title and I totally agree that Clough is to blame for this defeat.

Anyway,

As you were.

I also direct a deal of blame at the Derby owners/board/call them what you will. If we've have been able to sign the likes of Van Aanholt, Yakubu, Naughton and Bamba on loan, I suspect it would have been a little different.

As I watched in despair, it became pretty clear that none of our players would get into Leicester's team. They looked a classy outfit. I think Clough knew that and tried to stem the tide but it failed.

Juts look at the bit that matters

Davies, Savage, Pearson, Green, Pringle

OR

Vassell, Oakley, Wellens. King, Gallacher

No wonder we couldn't get the ball. It's not just a couple of strikers we need. We're desperate for some pacey central midfielders in my view.

Archived