Just trying to give a sense of Perspective

Alph

Agree totally that any half decent manager would've shifted most if not all of those players on. I'm sure most would've let Pearson go as well, because, despite Alex's love of him, he's clearly crap...

I appreciate he hasn't had a great deal of support money wise but out of the players he's brought in only Barker, Brayford & Bailey have had an impact and are better than what was here before he took over. And no, I don't count Bueno as someone he brought in because he was recommended to Metog by the Spain manager so that doesn't really count. Berate Jewell as much as you like but the fact remains that the better players in our squad at the start of the season (Hulse, Commons, Green, Davies *maybe*) were brought in by him. Also he was the one who gave Addison a chance to shine...

Yes he's done a half decent job up until now but he could be doing better...

How does Bueno not count as a Clough signing. Maybe we should attribute Bailey and Brayford to the scout who found them.... not Clough.

Yes Jewell signed a few good players, but you only have to look at the list of players Rotheramram put together to see all the ***** he did buy.

Don't you think Clough could have done better with the money Jewell spent?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does Bueno not count as a Clough signing. Maybe we should attribute Bailey and Brayford to the scout who found them.... not Clough.

Yes Jewell signed a few good players, but you only have to look at the list of players Rotheramram put together to see all the ***** he did buy.

Don't you think Clough could have done better with the money Jewell spent?

I'm saying I can't see Nigel's scouting net reaching as far as Spain.

Unfortunetly Nigel is paying the price for Jewell bring in so much tosh so we'll never know how he'd fair with a decent amount of money to spend.

But within his own budget his ratio od good/bad players isn't too disimilar.

He's certainly stated we've been 'interested' in some good players (would loved to have seen Hooper signed) but who's to say with a greater knowledge of players outside the Football League and a better scouting network we wouldn't have found a foreign alternative for the £1.5m he and Glick deemed "not good business for Derby County"??? I always thought it was very short sighted when he stated they'd be concentrating their search for young talent in the East Midlands. If there's that many talented players locally we'd have no need to buy any players in as they'd be on our doorstep.

I respect him for wanting to fashion a squad in roughly the same way as his Dad did, finding raw talent from smaller teams and getting them to perform, but in this day and age, as you did then, you have to have a Peter Taylor with a knack for spotting talent or you need to cast your net as far as you can...

Provided i get this right :p

Are people forgetting about Porter and Davies he brought in? both in the first couple of games(couple especially for Porter :p) they both were performing absolutely brilliant as it's said earlier in this thread, he was tbh epic against Swansea city and the following game - in which he got injuired. As for davies it is practically the same story :/

If both had stayed FULLY fit i say we would be significantly higher in the table our formation would work better and we could be scoring significantly more goals

Davies--->just getting back to full fitness will take a while...

Porter--->getting closer but still miles(literally :L) off...

Are people forgetting about Porter and Davies he brought in? both in the first couple of games(couple especially for Porter :p) they both were performing absolutely brilliant as it's said earlier in this thread, he was tbh epic against Swansea city and the following game - in which he got injuired. As for davies it is practically the same story :/

If both had stayed FULLY fit i say we would be significantly higher in the table our formation would work better and we could be scoring significantly more goals

Steve Davies was signed by Jewell not Clough

To get rid of a trouble maker in, sorry Alex, Jordan Stewart. The guy had shown disrespect to the whole management team the moment they walked through the door!!

I never heard about that, hence why I never disliked him as much :p

Can anyone let me in on what he did?

True story, after signing Bob Malcolm from Rangers and seeing his debut away at Wolves I immediately rang up my friend (Forest fan) and told him that we'd signed the next Makelele and we'd struggle to keep him regardless of what division we are in..

From this moment I realised it's a good idea to judge players after more than 1 game, as I can now see that Porter isn't actually very good, along with Malcolm, despite having decent debuts.

Thats the point though, Jewell had the money to bring in Commons, Hulse etc, Clough's had nowt.

It should also be noted that he's been forced to get rid of a lot of players with Championship experience and only sign one (Barker) for a fee with this kind of experience.

It should also be noted that he's been forced to get rid of a lot of players with Championship experience and only sign one (Barker) for a fee with this kind of experience.

Can someone show me proof of him being forced to sign only one for a fee with this kind of experience? I'm not saying he hasn't but there's been a lot of talk about people making assumptions in order to justify their stance so if maybe prove things they say?

Ramblur this isn't a dig at you, it's not a dig at anyone really but I know some have said 'you've got no proof of that it's just a way of packing up your anti-Clough stance'

I'm saying I can't see Nigel's scouting net reaching as far as Spain.

Unfortunetly Nigel is paying the price for Jewell bring in so much tosh so we'll never know how he'd fair with a decent amount of money to spend.

But within his own budget his ratio od good/bad players isn't too disimilar.

He's certainly stated we've been 'interested' in some good players (would loved to have seen Hooper signed) but who's to say with a greater knowledge of players outside the Football League and a better scouting network we wouldn't have found a foreign alternative for the £1.5m he and Glick deemed "not good business for Derby County"??? I always thought it was very short sighted when he stated they'd be concentrating their search for young talent in the East Midlands. If there's that many talented players locally we'd have no need to buy any players in as they'd be on our doorstep.

I respect him for wanting to fashion a squad in roughly the same way as his Dad did, finding raw talent from smaller teams and getting them to perform, but in this day and age, as you did then, you have to have a Peter Taylor with a knack for spotting talent or you need to cast your net as far as you can...

The problem with this is if you have the money the gamble on players should be less as you have the extra money to buy the 'experience' 'established' players. If in Cloughs place you have money only to buy players not known, from lower league who never played at this level young and inexperiences then the risk is increased because of the unknown. Jewell experienced prem manager brought ***** but the rot started with Davis who brought in Clod hopper Claude. So for me the ratio of perm signings good v bad has been above what should be expected. As a majority are saying we should not be buying these type of players but the money permitted to Clough only allows this type of player. The scouting abroad costs money and if you do not have the money to sign players WHY send scouts on a free holiday to find only similar class of players to that here. The money is not there to justify a scouting network abroad again this is down to the board.

I never heard about that, hence why I never disliked him as much :p

Can anyone let me in on what he did?

I am sure we had this discussion on DET forum:confused:

Clough's 1st training session when told what was happening he buggered off and did what he wanted, tried causing unnecessary aggro between players and staff. (this is what I have been told by somebody at the club, so how exaggerated it is I am not sure, but he wouldn't make it up)

I am sure we had this discussion on DET forum:confused:

Clough's 1st training session when told what was happening he buggered off and did what he wanted, tried causing unnecessary aggro between players and staff. (this is what I have been told by somebody at the club, so how exaggerated it is I am not sure, but he wouldn't make it up)

Oh yeah! Sorry, totally forgot about that.

In that case, he is a pr1ck and he no longer has my backing :p

Archived