Just trying to give a sense of Perspective

Alph

Just think back to the squad Nigel inherited. Let's be honest, they weren't heading for promotion were they? They were on a friggin fortune though.

Has he made us worse? Or has he got us operating on a sound footing. Shed the ***** we were carrying.

Mo Camara

Andy Todd

Paris Simmons

Mile Sterjovski

Tyrone Mears

Emanuel Villa

Liam Dickinson

Roy Carroll

Lewin Nyatanga

Claude Davis

MArtin Albretchsen

Jordan Stewart

Giles Barnes

Ruben Zadkovich

Aleksandr Prijovic

Darren Powell.

Paul Connolly

Jay Mac

Gary Teale

Lee Hendrie

Just to give some perspective of the high earning squad that he came to. Can people see the vast task he had.

The way some people talk about Nigel Clough you'd think he'd taken over a team on the verge of breaking in the Premier League. The ones that saw the PL got battered weekly and the ones that were brought to take us back there were fighting a relegation battle at the foot of the Championship.

I'm not here saying Nigel is faultless. But look at the situation he came into. Lets just try and get some perspective here. We weren't very good when he got here. 5 points clear of relegation when Jewell resigned i think i read.

5 points clear of relegation when Jewell resigned and with gigantic squad on some pretty ridiculous wages.

I find it impossible to see how Nigel Clough can be criticised for what he's done at Derby. WE ARE NO WORSE OFF. Some might say we're not much better off. Well, maybe that's a good point. Then it's about opinions on whether we're just a few players away from being succesful or whether Nigel has got a long long way to go. Looking at what we're capable of (during our good run) i'd say we're not too far. Looking at our bad runs, i'd say what Nigel does next in terms of signings is how he will be measured in terms of acheivement. (providing he gets investment.)

I can understand the jury being out on Nigel Clough. He's yet to prove his team is better than what he began with. IMO it plays better football. It looks more promising.

But how can people be wanting him gone? Has he not achieved enough at Derby to deserve some investment? And possibly a little more time?

It's all about opinions on how much time he needs. But it's a bit unfair to expect him to get rid of that lot above and replace them with much, much better squad in the time he's had and with the money he's spent.

Give him more time and a little cash. Then we can see what he's made of.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mo Camara

Andy Todd

Paris Simmons

Mile Sterjovski

Tyrone Mears

Emanuel Villa

Liam Dickinson

Roy Carroll

Lewin Nyatanga

Claude Davis

MArtin Albretchsen

Jordan Stewart

Giles Barnes

Ruben Zadkovich

Aleksandr Prijovic

Darren Powell.

Paul Connolly

Jay Mac

Gary Teale

Lee Hendrie

Cor! there's more ***** there than in a sewage farm!

...Addison, Varney, Green, Davies, Barazite, how much research went into this?

Think you might be missing my point.

Addison Varney Green and Davies still Derby players aren't they? So as far as i know Nigel hasn't got rid of Addison and Green and Davies because their not crap. Or at least not as crap as Zadkovich and Sterjovski. :)

Barazite? The loanee??

But like is said. Your missing my point. I'm not running a newspaper story on transfers. I'm pointing out some of the gems we had that Nigel has tossed aside to replace them with "non league players". That have put the club on a better footing and still kept us compettitive.

I'm pointing out the situation we was in before Nigel came. Is he really doing such a bad job.

Really??

So your saying Nigel hasn't got rid of enough poor players?

So you'd like our squad to get a bit smaller?

2 seasons ago was the squad worse or better than it is now?

Add Commons (who chose to leave) Hulse (who i agree should still be here) to your thoughts too if you want.

Are we better or worse?

Pearson and Savage were, and still are crap, yet they're still here.

Savage was not crap after being revived by Clough, and last season was incredibly important for us.

Pearson is finally showing promise, and last season did a job as a winger.

I'm not suggesting Nigel has taken us very far on the pitch since he began.

Off the pitch he's been very busy. And in financially has done brilliantly.

On the pitch, not a lot has happened. If you ignore the promising signs of that purple patch (and/or some of the football we still glimpse occasionally) then he's achieved nothing at all on the pitch.

I would of thought that this would suggest he deserves a bit of time with a bit more freedom financially. Sure, he'll take the wage bill a bit higher. But not as high as it was and i think it'd be quite nice to see what we get for our money. I think he's earned a bit of cash from the board considering what he's put back in.

Just give him half the freedom that Jewell had. He might be able to at least get sacked knowing he gave his best shot. Rather than brought in to pick up Jewells mess.

Personally i think he's more more grounded than Jewell (isn't Bullard on a fortune at Ipswich now???). And would do a better job with a fraction of the wage bill Jewell had.

He certainly can match Jewell with the wage bill now in terms of performance.

I'm not suggesting Nigel is Brian Clough reborn. He's his own man. Just think he needs a fairer shot imo.

Trying to give another perspective. Not get a statue of the man built outside shop dcfc.

:)

Maybe the name "Clough" is just buying him the time that no other manager would have got and the time that this sort of task needs.

Players including loans that have come and gone :eek:

Jan 2011 Moxey Commons

Aug 2010 Hulse

2010 Connolly McEveley Teale Hendrie Price Prijovic

2009-2010 Zadkovich Barnes Stewart Davis Beardsley Albrechtsen Carroll Nyatanga Dickinson Villa Mears Sterjovski Todd Simmons

2008-2009 Tomkins Hines Camara Powell Pereplotkin Stubbs Mills Robert Lewis Feilhaber Moore Fagan Jones Earnshaw Miller Holmes Edworthy Ghaly Johnson Hinchcliffe

LOAN PLAYERS GONE BACK:

2010 Moore Fielding Kuqi Noble Tonge Hunt Sunu Martin (GK) Vidal Campbell Johnson

09-10 Dickov Livermore Stoor Vaughan Hughes

08-09 Barazite Bannan Ellington Eustace Kazmierczak

The end of season (where Jewell left and Nigel took over) squad is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Derby_County_F.C._season

Not sure how accurate dates are on wikipedia.

But it says when the players arrived. So the squad that Nigel inherited is all those except Chris Porter?

Having said that, maybe Nigel isn't so adept in the loan market?

But certainly, at worse, we've only stood still since he took over. Some people can argue we've advanced. But then some will say we're STILL near relegation zone except with a lower wage bill.

Maybe now Nigel has cleaned up Jewells mess. The board need to either let him of the leash a bit. Or sack him and thank him for cleaning up. Then allow another manager some freedom. Doesn't really seem fair to sack him. But keeping him on that leash?? well, that'd be fine. But we don't seem to be making fast enough progress for our fans. So it's decision time for the Board imo. Not saying their money grabbing yanks or whatever. Just now is the time to be a little bit less sensible perhaps??

My view is that we should stop taking on loan players. I'd then like to see Academy players used, especially on the subs bench.

Of players Clough has signed, I'd like to see them succeed, so it is about time he gave them a run out!

Success so far: = John Brayford Shaun Barker

Disappointments so far: = Gareth Roberts Steve Davies Lee Croft Russell Anderson David Martin Luke Varney Chris Porter

Not sure 50/50: = James Bailey Tomasz Cywka Saul Deeney Conor Doyle Ben Pringle Jake Buxton Ben Davies

Loans so not worth it imo: Alberto Bueno (add Kuqi and Moore who unless we signed them it is NOT worth the trouble)

Overall Clough has had to offload massive amounts of players, fair enough, yet there are only 2 of his signings (imo) that have been successful.

I am not happy with Clough and after Saturdays attack on Tomasz Cywkwa I don't think he is worthy of being manager of DCFC.

Archived