murray

footymadme

Come on Bris.

Were you not aware that Scotland is part of Great Britain, the island that Murray represents whenever he proudly dons a Davis Cup top.

The whole of Britain will celebrate if Murray were to win the major and rightly so.

If you don't want to join in the Murray bandwagon that's your choice but don't berate those that do.

But he's not taking part of a tournament of Britain.. This is the US Open, I'd fully understand if it were the Olympics.. I'm not berating anyone, Curtain likes Murray, that's great.. I like Federer so I naturally want him to win the big tournaments..

It's the same as those who blindly support Chelsea in the CL because they're from England.. But they're not represent England, they're representing only themselves, just like Murray..

It's fustrating when commentators automatically believe the whole country (England) is behind Andy (or Man Utd/Chelsea) when clearly they're mistaken.. I think Andy Murray is a decent player and I can understand those that follow him for his style etc.. But he certainly won't make a country proud, just like Chelsea didn't make England proud when they won the CL..

The whole of Britain wil celebrate.. Did the whole of Britain celebrate Chelsea winning the CL?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Andy..

I wonder if the English commentator who just mentioned the whole of Britain tonight will be proud will say the same if Kilmarnock win the Europa League in 2013.. They don't half talk sh*te..

Is he a shoe in for Britains sports personality of the year now? After crying at Wimbledon and winning tonight I think he might have changed a few opinions when it comes to winning a BRITISH award..

Is he a shoe in for Britains sports personality of the year now? After crying at Wimbledon and winning tonight I think he might have changed a few opinions when it comes to winning a BRITISH award..

Think they will struggle to come up with a short list after TDF, Olympics and Paralympics, this and maybe if Hamilton wins F1 title, Rory McIlroy and also Ryder Cup maybe!

At least there will be no footballers.

Think they will struggle to come up with a short list after TDF, Olympics and Paralympics, this and maybe if Hamilton wins F1 title, Rory McIlroy and also Ryder Cup maybe!

At least there will be no footballers.

Depends with Rory McIlroy. He's still undecided to whether he wants to play for Ireland or GB in the next Olympics.

Stupid comparison.

If England were to win the World Cup then the nation would celebrate.

That is a better comparison.

Of course, because that's a nations vs nations tournament..

Would you celebrate (and be proud of) Kilmarnock winning the Europa League? Or would you celebrate (and be proud of) Stephen Hendry winning the crucible?..

Don't get me wrong, if you like Andy as a player that's great and by all means celebrate his achievement.. But this British thing is absolute nonsense because he's not playing in a British tournament.. Each player doesn't represent their country just like Chelsea doesn't represent England in the CL.. They represent only themselves..

I'm not gong to knock Murrays achievements, dispetie avouding Feds and Nadal he's a top hardcourt player.. If he wins the French or Wimbledon we can start ranking him even higher..

Of course, because that's a nations vs nations tournament..

Would you celebrate (and be proud of) Kilmarnock winning the Europa League? Or would you celebrate (and be proud of) Stephen Hendry winning the crucible?..

Don't get me wrong, if you like Andy as a player that's great and by all means celebrate his achievement.. But this British thing is absolute nonsense because he's not playing in a British tournament.. Each player doesn't represent their country just like Chelsea doesn't represent England in the CL.. They represent only themselves..

I'm not gong to knock Murrays achievements, dispetie avouding Feds and Nadal he's a top hardcourt player.. If he wins the French or Wimbledon we can start ranking him even higher..

It's a nations vs nations sport mate. Kilmarnock is a Scottish club, Andy Murray is a British sportsman.

By that definition we should also not celebrate Wiggins winning the tour as he was cycling for Team Sky, not GB, seriously?, not celebrating a Brit going to France and winning their biggest sporting event?? - I kind of get the logic but it is taking the emotion out of sport and you cannot do that - Wherever we might live now are all from somewhere and seeing someone who has grown up in the same island, grown up with the same culture and conditions achieve something like that makes me proud of them.

And yes he avoided Fed but he beat the guy that beat him - winning a major in this era is tough, there were a few easier times, post Sampras/pre Feb - post mcenroe/Borg/Connors and pre - Sampras - but this is as tough a time as there has ever been...

Go on Andy, Let me wake up tomorrow to the news that you've won your first grand slam to add to the Olympic Gold!

Enjot hte game,set & match anyone who has the stamina to follow it all.

Horrible typos as I was tired!

How these guys have the skill, co-ordination, strength of mind and body, and all the other attributes that make a great tennis player is way beyond my puny brain. One bad reaction and it's over. To hold it together for 5 hours like that! And then to know that what you say afterwards will be transmitted around the world.

I said at the start of this year that it would be the most incredible year of most of our lives with so many events taking place on this sceptred Isle (Diamond Jubilee, Olympics, paralympics, on top of the usual great sporting occasions), but I could not have foreseen so many major successes. Tour de France, US open and European Cup.

OK football not quite on the top level but even there we were only beaten on pennos and not in the actual matches (no change there 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> ).

I am perfectly prepared to celebrate Andy's victory as a triumph for Great Britain and say "Well done Andy! Olympic Gold medallist and US open champion!

Now who will win Sportsview personality of the year?

Well, I went to sleep when Murray lost the 3rd and was doing crap in the fourth. I was dreaming that the Brit had bottled it again, not him but the British in general.

Couldn't believe he won the last set after seeming to be down and out as I turned off.

Well done Andy! I recon they ought to make him a honorary English man, along with Bris Vegas.

Well done!

Archived