Robbie Savage - Transfer Rumours

Day

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be divided on this, I think Savage is an important member of the squad, he helps the younger players out, he stands up for the team, he's a big character in the dressing room, on the pitch and on the training ground and I think when he doesn't play you can see signs that the team miss him.

On the other hand, he said he will definately be leaving Derby, he won't be here next season so why should the club get in his way if he wants to leave a month or 2 early to go to Vancouver who are offering him an extension to his career. I'd wish luck if he went, and I hope its a success for him.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Clough-time-right-Sav-blessing/article-3103488-detail/article.html

[sIZE=2]Clough: If time is right, Sav will go with our blessing

Saturday, January 15, 2011, 07:30[/sIZE]

NIGEL Clough says Robbie Savage remains a key player in Derby County's squad but the Rams skipper would leave with the manager's blessing should he decide to join Canadian side Vancouver Whitecaps.

Savage is considering an offer from the Whitecaps to play in the MLS and could leave as early as March.

The 36-year-old midfielder is out of contract in the summer and wil not be offered a new deal by Derby.

"First and foremost, we look after our interests here. So we will see how things go in the next few weeks because Robbie still remains a very important member of the squad," said Clough.

"If he went, he would go with our blessing, if that is the best thing for him and his family. I think it would mean him missing something like the last eight games of the season.

"It would be a great opportunity for him but he has got a lot of thinking to do in terms of his media career and whether he wants to keep playing in England.

"He knows the situation that we wouldn't be able to get something on the table for him next season, so he makes his decision from there."

Savage joined Derby three years ago from Blackburn Rovers and has made 118 appearances for the club.

If this is true then I'm pretty happy to hear it. It's a burden off our wages and if we can tie up something now then we can sort out a new signing this month with the extra wage money we know we'll be saving next season. Also we can find another decent captain within the current team. The day was inevitable. Infact I thought he'd have been gone at the end of the first season in the Championship after we got relegated.

But the idea that he might get a big media career in the US makes me a little bit sick.

Big media career...Warren Barton is the big name TV guy over here.....so I guess anything is possible! we are already sick!:rolleyes:

just had an email from my mate who's a Watford fan. He confirmed what we knew that Derby were very poor, although he agreed the first 30 minutes were quite even. He also said he thought Savage was a definite liability! Think it might now be the time for Addo and Bailey in there (although I know Sav will want to play against Forest).

Not his fault but I think he has totally underestimated the job Sav has done here, particularly in picking up the team during the hard spell this time last year.

I would have thought he is exactly the sort of player Vancouver Whitecaps would want - plenty of experience, can still play and someone who will raise the profile of their club.

The Jeff Mallett connection is obviously driving this, so he is also sure to ensure Savage's profile remains as high as possible - TV viewers and radio listeners can expect a similar ear bashing to us!

He's the Gareth Barry of the Championship.

Sideways, backwards, sits too deep, can't run.

Maybe i'm too harsh. :redface:

Put me on the pitch. I can pass forwards. I've also got some good wind-ups for Tudgay in particular. Burley anyone.

And does a lot of work that goes unnoticed and people take for granted, much like Gareth Barry.

Savage to Bristol City?

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/133590-robbie-savage/

This chap seems to think he's on his way there for 6 months? Apparently it's being kept under wraps by the club and Savages agents as Derby don't want to play him anymore.

Could be absoloute rubbish, could be some truth in it. Savage did say another Championship club were in for him, perhaps Bristol were the side?

Thought this deserved another thread aside from the 'Savage to MLS' one.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/133590-robbie-savage/

This chap seems to think he's on his way there for 6 months? Apparently it's being kept under wraps by the club and Savages agents as Derby don't want to play him anymore.

Could be absoloute rubbish, could be some truth in it. Savage did say another Championship club were in for him, perhaps Bristol were the side?

Thought this deserved another thread aside from the 'Savage to MLS' one.

Glad you put that last bit, was ready to take a Mod scalp! :p

At first, I thought it was absolute rubbish, but the more I think about it...

Personally, I think he would either sign now permanently for another club, or leave for the US in June.

Don't see why he'd wanna leave for Bristol.

Unless he has got this 'play when fit' thing and Clough wants rid.

Interesting one this.

Great post by an unhappy Bristol fan on that forum;

'Too old and he is an idiot'

The info seems a bit sus. Nigel been asked by the Chairman not to play him! Why? Is there a clause where we have to pay an additional fee when he gets to x games? Seems unlikely. Does the Chairman even know where Derby is anyway? I could see Tom Glick asking Nigel if we can move him off the wage bill in order to buy Ben Davies, but that's not quite what the press officer is supposed to have said.

Glad you put that last bit, was ready to take a Mod scalp! :p

At first, I thought it was absolute rubbish, but the more I think about it...

Personally, I think he would either sign now permanently for another club, or leave for the US in June.

Don't see why he'd wanna leave for Bristol.

Unless he has got this 'play when fit' thing and Clough wants rid.

Interesting one this.

Phew, saved myself at the end then :D

According to the bloke on there, he will sign for Vancouver as long as he can prove his fitness, and Savage wants to keep playing until he's due for Pre-Season out there to prove he's still at the races.

That is according to the bloke on there of course, who could be talking crap. Will find out soon I should imagine, asked him to PM me.

Phew, saved myself at the end then :D

Not quite as it is old news, was posted earlier in the Savage to MLS thread. 1 thread per player, it's even written up on the notice board for you. If you could stay behind tonight and see me in my office please.

Archived