Better Refs & Linos Than Today's

Comrade 86

On 21/10/2024 at 15:12, ram59 said:

Is anybody keeping count of goals/points gained or lost through the officials this season? 

Sheff Utd's goal was from a free kick that never was, 2 of Norwich's goals came after the ball went out of play, although there was a possible offside for CBT's goal in that game. Now we have the penalty not given for a very late questionable offside decision. 

That's 3 games where we have picked up only 1 point in total, whilst we'll never know what would have happened, I suspect that is likely that we'd have improved on that 1 point. That's 30% of our games, which we have suffered from questionable decisions, hopefully we're due some better luck with the officials.

Sadly, yes, I keep a 'Spreadsheet of Injustice' with key controversial on it and have done so for the last few seasons.

Of course, many things are subjective, but some can be confirmed such as Warne speaking of two letters of apology received already this season from the PGMOL relating to the Norwich game and what I assume to be the Sheff Utd match.

To quote Christoph Biermann in his book 'Football Hackers. The Science and Art of a Data Revolution', 'It's simply nonsense to suggest that refereeing mistakes even themselves out in the course of a campaign'. Being a Derby supporter, I agree with this!

The good news is, allowing for points most likely lost due to refereeing mistakes this season, we should be in the lower reaches of the play-off places so are actually doing better than we may think we are, that bodes well for the season as a whole if we can keep this going.

What I will say about last night's ref, although he was bad, he was consistently bad for both teams. 

Both teams made fouls that he didn't seem to see but also both teams were given fouls against them for absolutly nothing.

So no advantage to either team in the grand scheme of things. Just a bit of a lottery as to what he was going to give at any moment.

36 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Sadly, yes, I keep a 'Spreadsheet of Injustice' with key controversial on it and have done so for the last few seasons.

Of course, many things are subjective, but some can be confirmed such as Warne speaking of two letters of apology received already this season from the PGMOL relating to the Norwich game and what I assume to be the Sheff Utd match.

To quote Christoph Biermann in his book 'Football Hackers. The Science and Art of a Data Revolution', 'It's simply nonsense to suggest that refereeing mistakes even themselves out in the course of a campaign'. Being a Derby supporter, I agree with this!

The good news is, allowing for points most likely lost due to refereeing mistakes this season, we should be in the lower reaches of the play-off places so are actually doing better than we may think we are, that bodes well for the season as a whole if we can keep this going.

Can you share this? I'm quite interested in how many their have been now someones keeping track.

35 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

What I will say about last night's ref, although he was bad, he was consistently bad for both teams. 

Both teams made fouls that he didn't seem to see but also both teams were given fouls against them for absolutly nothing.

So no advantage to either team in the grand scheme of things. Just a bit of a lottery as to what he was going to give at any moment.

Sums up what I thought as well. I felt that the ref sort of spoiled what could have been a good game with his decision making. Both teams started taking advantage of this imo, which ruined the game somewhat, although it could just be me overreacting I suppose.

We do take decisions which go for us for granted as well. So anyone keeping a tally needs to make sure its done both ways.

However - and I normally defend refs being a referee in two different sports (Not football) but last nights was a joke.

The Assistant referee missing/not giving the trip on Elder at the start of the game just started a whole farcical night of decisions.

Ref was really poor booking 5 players in a game with no bad tackles. Afraid we are at the point were  the standard of officials is so poor it is laughable but as a fan of non-league football I can assure you that the ones coming through are even worse.

1 hour ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Can you share this? I'm quite interested in how many their have been now someones keeping track.

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lun784rtaxkgxaa1zm8bt/DCFC-key-decisions-24-25.xlsx?rlkey=nz5qj1dkj9d0d3gbanouk771v&st=ttnfm2t2&dl=0

I only keep it for my curiosity and so I can bore friends endlessly...

I do try and record key decisions that go Derby's way, but there never seem to be many of these! Usually it is obvious from opposition fans' comments and videos, or press reports, if it is considered wisdom that Derby have benefited from such.

For a game such as last night, there was no big incident in my opinion, as well as others' it seems, so nothing warranted a comment on the spreadsheet.

What's the solution for more consistent decisions?

2 refs, one for each half of the pitch, or 2/3 of the pitch overlapping in the middle?
4 linos, each with their own quarter of the pitch?
VAR in the Championship, but that only means we get the L1 refs in the VAR room and worse decisions beign made lower down the pyramid