Mobile deals including EU Roaming.

Got stung by EE back in the summer of '22, by adding Muckerette's mobile (She was on a crappy Virgin deal) to my existing deal with EE, which at the time included EU Roaming.
We settled on a seemingly good price for the pair ( £20 for my 160GB, £10 for her 4GB... unlimited texts... can donate GB's from one to the other, but never ever get anywhere near those allowances... SIM Only, keep existing numbers etc... , but failed to notice the lack of EU Roaming!  Moreover, they conveniently forgot to mention it, whilst in discussions over the phone.  I know!  I blame myself!  🙄

Turns out "All new contracts from June '22 will no longer include free EU roaming".  Yep, ours were new contracts... for 2 years... and began just after that cut off point.  We've since been paying an additional £50 between us, for each subsequent fortnight in France, or even a 5 day hop over to Belgium, as we need to keep tabs on work stuff etc, and can often be out in the sticks with little or zero wi-fi around.

So now those 2 years are up, EE can do one.  They will be binned.  They will be no more!  One single to Feckham, please! 

So Looking for new deals... SIM Only, as a pair or individual (both in my name).  To include fair EU roaming... Keep existing numbers are a definite requirement.  I rarely go above 5/6 GB, so 10GB would be plenty.  Muckerette rarely exceeds 1GB.  If I can transfer a bit of mine to hers once in a blue moon to be on the safe side, even better, but not critical.  (Only likely whilst on said holidays, as she runs an on-line shop from home (On Home wifi normally, of course).

I'm starting my research after tea this evening, but I'm all for keeping my workload down, so if anyone wants to brag about how fantastic their current deal is, I'm all ears.

Cheers.  🍻

Smarty mobile. 

Uses 3 network (owned by 3 I think). EU roaming. 

I pay £10 rolling monthly contract for unlimited calls etc & 100gb data. 

I pay the same for Miss Wolfie & she somehow got upgraded to 125 gb for no extra cost. 

I can give a referral code if anyone wants it (both get a £10 gift card)

I was going to mention Smarty

£8 a month gets you 16GB data. One month rolling contract. Free EU roaming up to 12GB. 

My Mrs and kids use it. In my experience Three don’t have as good coverage as EE but you can’t argue with the value. 

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Got stung by EE back in the summer of '22, by adding Muckerette's mobile (She was on a crappy Virgin deal) to my existing deal with EE, which at the time included EU Roaming.
We settled on a seemingly good price for the pair ( £20 for my 160GB, £10 for her 4GB... unlimited texts... can donate GB's from one to the other, but never ever get anywhere near those allowances... SIM Only, keep existing numbers etc... , but failed to notice the lack of EU Roaming!  Moreover, they conveniently forgot to mention it, whilst in discussions over the phone.  I know!  I blame myself!  🙄

Turns out "All new contracts from June '22 will no longer include free EU roaming".  Yep, ours were new contracts... for 2 years... and began just after that cut off point.  We've since been paying an additional £50 between us, for each subsequent fortnight in France, or even a 5 day hop over to Belgium, as we need to keep tabs on work stuff etc, and can often be out in the sticks with little or zero wi-fi around.

So now those 2 years are up, EE can do one.  They will be binned.  They will be no more!  One single to Feckham, please! 

So Looking for new deals... SIM Only, as a pair or individual (both in my name).  To include fair EU roaming... Keep existing numbers are a definite requirement.  I rarely go above 5/6 GB, so 10GB would be plenty.  Muckerette rarely exceeds 1GB.  If I can transfer a bit of mine to hers once in a blue moon to be on the safe side, even better, but not critical.  (Only likely whilst on said holidays, as she runs an on-line shop from home (On Home wifi normally, of course).

I'm starting my research after tea this evening, but I'm all for keeping my workload down, so if anyone wants to brag about how fantastic their current deal is, I'm all ears.

Cheers.  🍻

I forgot to mention all those deals you can keep your number. It is a requirement of the industry to make this very easy. You may be disconnected half a day at most but it is do easy. Once you get a PAC code it is all you need pretty much

Mine's simple.

I explained to Virgin that I'm deaf, and that my phone is basically my text/internet window on the world. The phone is an old Samsung Galaxy S9, and I told them that until it breaks, I'm not changing it. I never make phone calls with it - well, the last one I made was 3 years ago. I receive the odd one - perhaps 1 a month. I use it for controlling my hearing aids and home security system (alarms, cameras etc).

Unlimited text, unlimited data, £10 a month - each year, they (now O2) just roll it forward.

The phone/contract really scores when I'm on holiday somewhere where there's no free wifi - like last month in Ingoldmells.

Mobile hotspot, linked 2 laptops and a Kindle - sorted.

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. 

Very much appreciated. 👍

An evening's research shows the requirement for inclusive roaming vastly reduces the market, which is good from a research perspective!  Even after settling on a provider, the gamut of options for countless plans are eye watering! 

I've just signed up with ID Mobile... Part of the Currys group apparently, and covered by 3 Network.
Just mine for now.  I'll give it a few days trial, then if all goes to plan/decent signal etc, and it's a hassle free transfer, I'll replicate for Muckerette.

Opted for physical SIM as opposed to e-sim, so should be all done and dusted by Friday.

£8 rolling month, 50GB, limited to 30GB roaming, unused data rolled over, keep existing number with a PAC.  More than ample for my needs, and even more so for Muckerette...  and if we make out the two of us are friends, we'll even get a tenner back between us, with a referral!  🤣  

Cheers all.  🍻

Oh... and 5G coverage too, apparently.  No Good for my i-11pro, but I think Muckerette's i-12 is compatible?

Edited by Mucker1884

On 05/08/2024 at 17:31, Mucker1884 said:

Cheers.  🍻

Just seen this offer includes roaming but think it’s capped so you will have to check the small print against your expected usage.

£1.25 per month at month 8 goes to £8.90 per by month. Rolling 30 day contract.

Think it’s new customers only.

If you signed up to a new deal you should have 14 days to cancel or get them to match offer.

I think it’s better not to have the same service provider so if one of you loses a signal the other might still have a signal.

Check out https://www.hotukdeals.com for comments on the deal.

https://www.lebara.co.uk/en/msm/p/44000052?utm_source=impactradius&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=2096376&utm_content=&utm_clickid=zsswGsSSOxyPWyNxtHx-hTEWUkCzYOwhnxwowY0&utm_iradid=917923&utm_clickref=&default=page&irgwc=1

Edited by cstand

13 hours ago, cstand said:

Just seen this offer includes roaming but think it’s capped so you will have to check the small print against your expected usage.

£1.25 per month at month 8 goes to £8.90 per by month. Rolling 30 day contract.

https://www.lebara.co.uk/en/msm/p/44000052?utm_source=impactradius&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=2096376&utm_content=&utm_clickid=zsswGsSSOxyPWyNxtHx-hTEWUkCzYOwhnxwowY0&utm_iradid=917923&utm_clickref=&default=page&irgwc=1

Roaming:  Up to your UK limits or a max of 30GB (if your UK limit is higher/unlimited).

Decent deal that, for anyone looking.

I settled for similar with ID Mobile (Three network).  50 GB UK, and up to 30GB roaming.  £8 from the start (rolling 30 day).
Tried to do the same for Muckerette the next day, but that deal had disappeared.  Ended up identical except the UK limit was 30GB, not the 50GB I got.

All more than enough, as at home, she uses well under 1GB, and me just over.  When abroad, we use about 4-6GB each (in a fortnight).

All a bit clunky when both accounts set up yesterday (transferring the existing number), with a few concerns particularly after Googling the problem*, and it looking widespread and unresolved for quite a few... but by early evening, all was good, and appears to be still good today. 

*After getting the all clear, my new account wouldn't make or receive normal calls.  (Whatsapp calls were ok, as were whatsapp messages, texts, internet etc.  All good now though, touch wood!