Willie Carlin

Early in the 68/69 Season, I was at Huddersfield to see the last Rams fixture before Willie signed. We lost 2-0 and we`d still be struggling to score even if the match was still in progress. Exactly a week later, Ron Atkinson brought his glistening thighs to the Baseball ground as Willie made his home debut against Oxford United and what a difference. Roy Mac and John O`Hare scored in the 2-0 win and we were on our way.

RIP Willie and thanks for the memories.

24 minutes ago, Agadirram said:

Early in the 68/69 Season, I was at Huddersfield to see the last Rams fixture before Willie signed. We lost 2-0 and we`d still be struggling to score even if the match was still in progress. Exactly a week later, Ron Atkinson brought his glistening thighs to the Baseball ground as Willie made his home debut against Oxford United and what a difference. Roy Mac and John O`Hare scored in the 2-0 win and we were on our way.

RIP Willie and thanks for the memories.

Willie made his debut at the BBG in a 2-2 draw with Hull on the Wednesday night. The 2-0 win against Oxford was three days later.

Edited by Spender

7 minutes ago, Spender said:

Willie made his debut at the BBG in a 2-2 draw with Hull on the Wednesday night. The 2-0 win against Oxford was three days later.

Yes, you`re right.  I didn`t think he played against Hull but he did.

6 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

My dad also described Willie as the missing piece. I'm sure he would have been saddened to hear of the loss of another of his heroes.

A top man, by all accounts. RIP

Lovely tribute ,  heard about the bar in Majorca with Rams memorabillia on the walls over the years , R.I.P Willie Carlin , part of DCFC history

On 11/06/2024 at 13:14, oldtimeram said:

Nearing the end of key games when we were winning I loved the way he used to take the ball to the corner flag to stop the opposition getting the ball.  He was bloody good at it too 

As soon as Willie got to the corner flag the ref might just as well blow the final whistle!😂🐏

9 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

my first winger that got me out of my seat. . 

Not sure about 'winger' but he certainly added 'bite' to our midfield. Superb little annoying type of player.

I remember one game at the BBG he actually caught the ball just outside the opposition penalty area (Carlisle ? I think). The ref nor linesman saw it so Willie put the ball down and went on to score !! 🤗🤣🤣

Thanks for the memories Willie. RIP.

On 11/06/2024 at 13:14, oldtimeram said:

Nearing the end of key games when we were winning I loved the way he used to take the ball to the corner flag to stop the opposition getting the ball.  He was bloody good at it too 

I remember that as well...I don't think I'd seen it before..then became common place.R.I.PWillie.