Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

5 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I'd keep it but bring in the cricket approach of 1 or 2 reviews per team per half, with the captain having 10 seconds to appeal - if you 'burn' your reviews you lose them and then it's on-field ref alone......but if you are correct, you retain your reviews.

For this to work you'd need that absolute clarity on things like handball, which of course is currently part of the problem.

You could even have 'ref's call' like you have 'umpire's call' in cricket with the benefit of the doubt going to the on-field ref if something is a bit borderline.

In cricket, the teams now blame themselves for bad reviews rather than the umpires getting abuse.

But for next season, for any team that votes to keep VAR, I would deduct 2 points each time they moan about it in post match interviews. Those who vote to bin it have a free hit.

I'd also bring in retrospective 5 game bans for anyone found to have gone down feigning a head injury when there was no head contact......whoever does that can do it at their leisure after the game and enjoy themselves.

I would really support the introduction of this with offsides. I’ve not checked the exact wording on the rules, but offside is generally measured from the ball is kicked - what point defines the ball as being kicked? Is it the point at which foot meets ball, or ball leaves foot? This makes a difference when working out the lines for VAR, especially when someone is trying to pause a video on a frame and draw some lines on it as a frame difference can be the line between on or off.

The whole thing is a mess though and should be scrapped. I hate it and find games with it almost unwatchable. If it has to say I’d have a timer on it, and make it review based. It has never really addressed what fans would have wanted it to. The headbutt off the ball that the ref missed, the throw obviously given the wrong way. Really clear and obvious things, not toe nails offside and reviewing every foul. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I like your optimism but I can't imagine for one moment the day when players or managers will simply accept the officials decisions. 

Oh I’m not optimistic @Tamworthram . Not at all.  For change to happen there would have to be strong leadership something lacking across the whole of the sport - FA, Uefa, Fifa, referees, premier league, efl, TV, pundits -  you could go on and on. Not a strong leader to be seen. They can’t agree on and see the ills of the game let alone put them right. 
Minor example. In our first home game of last season Korey Smith was booked for kicking the ball away to stop a quick free kick. Quite rightly - every club had been warned that would happen. How many examples did we see during the season of that happening (by our players as well as opposition players) that went unpunished? No leadership - no one spotting a problem and reinforcing a message and taking action, so it drifted. Just as the approach and attitude towards referees and their decisions has been allowed to drift over many years.

Until football administration in its widest sense gets proper leadership it will continue to drift - the wider sport that is. The wealthiest (and therefore strongest) will look after themselves. The sport as a whole will be, and is being, diminished. VAR, IMO, helps diminish the role of the referee, reduces their authority. Players could, if they chose to (the PFA has no dynamic, authoritative leadership now; nor the managers’ association), significantly help. They won’t.

54 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I would really support the introduction of this with offsides. I’ve not checked the exact wording on the rules, but offside is generally measured from the ball is kicked - what point defines the ball as being kicked? Is it the point at which foot meets ball, or ball leaves foot? This makes a difference when working out the lines for VAR, especially when someone is trying to pause a video on a frame and draw some lines on it as a frame difference can be the line between on or off.

The whole thing is a mess though and should be scrapped. I hate it and find games with it almost unwatchable. If it has to say I’d have a timer on it, and make it review based. It has never really addressed what fans would have wanted it to. The headbutt off the ball that the ref missed, the throw obviously given the wrong way. Really clear and obvious things, not toe nails offside and reviewing every foul. 

The time difference must be milliseconds and in no way would have an impact on whether a player was offside or not. There is no measurable time delay between the two events you are describing.

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The time difference must be milliseconds and in no way would have an impact on whether a player was offside or not. There is no measurable time delay between the two events you are describing.

I’ve seen a break down of this with a recent disallowed goal. Might have been Coventry’s goal in the fa cup. There were two points you could choose to take the VAR still from and it changed the outcome. 

I disagree generally that it wouldn’t make a difference. When you see VAR being performed you can see how much difference a frame makes and the offsides they decide to give are sometimes millimetres.  

14 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

the PFA has no dynamic, authoritative leadership now; nor the managers’ association), significantly help. They won’t.

Fifpro have threatened FIFA with court action if they go ahead and bring in the World Club Championship, This will be 32 World Clubs to be played in July, FIFA already have extended the World Cup to 48 Countries, Football is now being saturated to the extent players are running out of "Gas"

Newcastle play their last game on Sunday then straight on a plane flying to Australia for more games, The £/$/€ is all conquering in a sport that will have reached it's limit of available time to play these games.

The World football authorities will be eating themselves to the bone if they refuse to take a step back.

4 hours ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I’ve seen a break down of this with a recent disallowed goal. Might have been Coventry’s goal in the fa cup. There were two points you could choose to take the VAR still from and it changed the outcome. 

I disagree generally that it wouldn’t make a difference. When you see VAR being performed you can see how much difference a frame makes and the offsides they decide to give are sometimes millimetres.  

Sorry, no offence, but without support evidence I don’t believe it. The time difference between each frame would have to be down to something like hundredths of a second which wouldn’t be enough time to change a players status between offside and onside IMO.

I’m happy to be proved wrong if you’re able to but if it ever does happen it must be incredibly rare. 

Regardless of any of the above, the rule is actually quite clear. It states “…..at the moment the ball is played or touched…….” No mention of the moment the ball leaves the players boot (of course, it may not even come of his boot. It could be a header for example).

Posted (edited)

you know how they say there has been a small increase in correct decisions does anyone actually believe it? because you watch the exact same decisions given for one team and not given a week later and howard webb comes out and say both are correct decisions.

i think its a load of rubbish to justify the var. my biggest issue is the referee has lost all authority and it is not right that some faceless overlord overrules him when he feels like it from nowhere near the ground. i think its wrong.

Edited by alram