Conor Hourihane - Has left the club

Turned down Wrexham it seems.  This is where life gets trickier for them getting players in.  Those stepping down will consider club V money if they've had a career at championship level or above under their belt as the $ signs aren't as appealing if you've got enough. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Turned down Wrexham it seems.  This is where life gets trickier for them getting players in.  Those stepping down will consider club V money if they've had a career at championship level or above under their belt as the $ signs aren't as appealing if you've got enough. 

Wrexham and Barnsley are both in league one.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Wrexham and Barnsley are both in league one.

I’ll bet at this point in his life he has roots here. He’ll know he’s got a season, maybe two and then another phase of life begins. He’s going where he’s comfortable, will be welcome, nothing to prove and a stepping stone for his future. Good luck Skip. Proper player, proper bloke. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yep, Wrexham have reached their level, will be interesting to see what happens next but their owners don't have the bunce to go much further.. 

I wondered about Burton as a player/coach role as it would be a good transition into the next stage of his life, (and easy geographically) but they have appointed a head coach and assistant now.  

15 hours ago, jono said:

He’ll know he’s got a season, maybe two

You think so? I didn't see that at all, I saw a player who was absolutely shot. When your game is that terrier in the centre of the park and you lose the edge it's pretty much all gone. Sadly, without malice, I'd say that's where Conor is today.

By way of example, I remember going to the Ted McMinn testimonial. There were players there who were for the memory (Zak, etc) but there were others who had only finished playing a year or two before. I expected to see something approaching professional level but nothing of the sort - it was apparent that once you go downhill at the elite level it isn't long before you are not competitive.

28 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You think so? I didn't see that at all, I saw a player who was absolutely shot. When your game is that terrier in the centre of the park and you lose the edge it's pretty much all gone. Sadly, without malice, I'd say that's where Conor is today.

By way of example, I remember going to the Ted McMinn testimonial. There were players there who were for the memory (Zak, etc) but there were others who had only finished playing a year or two before. I expected to see something approaching professional level but nothing of the sort - it was apparent that once you go downhill at the elite level it isn't long before you are not competitive.

I don’t think his game has ever been the 'terrier' as you put. I've always looked on him as linking defence and attack and I don't believe, for the most part, that we played him far enough forward to make best use his talents - much as was the case with Will Hughes.

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I think I was trying to be kind/optimistic. I certainly saw bits of what you saw. Got caught once to often. The mind was doing it but the speed of response from the body wasn’t quite up to it. He can still play; but yes, against any side with terriers / athletes he will struggle.