eBay

This is not a scam, I repeat this is not a scam, Just that I believe eBay either has a glitch in some cases or there's some shenanigans going off.

Last night I waited for the last 60 seconds and watched the clock go down, 7 seconds I bid then confirm bid, Then the bid ended, In the top green line it confirmed I was the highest bidder...but increase my bid, Why would I increase my bid if I was the highest bidder I thought 🤔, Just waiting for..."you won this item"...nope, I was out bid as I had a message from eBay to confirm I was out bid.

I did a little investigating and this has happened to other bidders, Some who have been buying on eBay for 15/20 years where they thought they'd won only to find out that after their bid was ended...eBay had extended the bidding by 6-7 seconds 🙄

What's the point of an auction site if bidding has ended but for some reason others can still bid, I'm aware of "shillers" and "snipers" but is this a case of eBay pulling a fast one by getting more loot from the seller?

The item is on sale on Amazon for £316, This was sold on eBay for £72...new.

You're never to old to learn, Another pair came up today and I waited and waited and put my offer in...boom £51.50 including postage of 48 hour tracking...

image.png.cd2e3da22026fab0b9e24403a5e91f8c.png 👌

On 14/05/2024 at 07:03, Ram-Alf said:

This is not a scam, I repeat this is not a scam, Just that I believe eBay either has a glitch in some cases or there's some shenanigans going off.

Last night I waited for the last 60 seconds and watched the clock go down, 7 seconds I bid then confirm bid, Then the bid ended, In the top green line it confirmed I was the highest bidder...but increase my bid, Why would I increase my bid if I was the highest bidder I thought 🤔, Just waiting for..."you won this item"...nope, I was out bid as I had a message from eBay to confirm I was out bid.

I did a little investigating and this has happened to other bidders, Some who have been buying on eBay for 15/20 years where they thought they'd won only to find out that after their bid was ended...eBay had extended the bidding by 6-7 seconds 🙄

What's the point of an auction site if bidding has ended but for some reason others can still bid, I'm aware of "shillers" and "snipers" but is this a case of eBay pulling a fast one by getting more loot from the seller?

The item is on sale on Amazon for £316, This was sold on eBay for £72...new.

This seems to have happened since you had the new box saying bid 50/6/70 now as you've been outbid on the other end..  I'm not sure if they also tell people watching an item that there is another watcher by email.  They were at one point, so I stopped the watching.

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This seems to have happened since you had the new box saying bid 50/6/70 now as you've been outbid on the other end..  I'm not sure if they also tell people watching an item that there is another watcher by email.  They were at one point, so I stopped the watching.

I don't profess to be ITK when buying/bidding on eBay Gee, But I got caught on a sticky wicket and was stumped 😉, I looked on an eBay forum and there's a good few who have come up against some "unfair practices" according to some.

My Daughter who is/was a prolific eBayer told me there is a tool out there that people use who can circumvent the auction process 🤷‍♂️, All's good now as I got the pair for less than I bid on Monday 😉      

On 14/05/2024 at 09:17, Stive Pesley said:

My rules on eBay are  - just bid once, make it the maximum you are willing to pay, and if you win, happy days. If not, then accept that you've been outbid and get over it

Always check Facebook marketplace first before you buy from Ebay.

Bought a never been used Ninja 15-1 air fryer for £100, brand new cost is £340 unless on offer.

I made no offer to reduce the price just said I would pay full asking price in cash and collect.

18 minutes ago, cstand said:

Bought a never been used Ninja 15-1 air fryer for £100, brand new cost is £340 unless on offer.

I made no offer to reduce the price just said I would pay full asking price in cash and collect.

Some bargains on Facebook - but be very wary. Only buy if you can collect the item and don't (ever!) send a deposit to hold the item - there is no protection at all if you get scammed and there are a HUGE number of scammers. If you want proof (or just a laugh) search for cars such as Aston Martins - you'll see £40K cars listed for £3K and if you check the seller's profile, they'll almost certainly be listing 20-30 other expensive motors at a similar price.....they're just trying to get people to send them money in advance of the sale to 'hold' the car for them - and that's your money vanished....

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Yeah that's good advice. Some great bargains on FB Marketplace, but it's a very different experience. At least ebay is a formal auction site with various safeguards to protect the buyer and seller

As well as the selling scammers on FB marketplace that @Gaspode mentions, there are also buying scammers. If you list anything worth more than £100 you will be inundated with people saying that they will buy, but don't live locally so will send a courier to collect.

They tell you that the courier will give you the cash in an envelope on pickup. They then go on to say that the courier demands an insurance fee for the envelope, but don't worry they will add this into the cash they give you - they just need you to go on to the courier's (fake) website and pay the insurance fee up front. Then of course, if you're daft enough to do so - then the account disappears and you never hear from them again...

And don't get me started on those FB market place sellers who don't reply to messages . 😂

24 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

As well as the selling scammers on FB marketplace that @Gaspode mentions, there are also buying scammers. If you list anything worth more than £100 you will be inundated with people saying that they will buy, but don't live locally so will send a courier to collect.

I’ve had some of them recently. I tell them I don’t trust whichever courier they’re “using”. They come back with details on how’s going to work.
I tell them I’ll agree to it for a 1 bitcoin premium fee. 

then they leave me alone. 

2 hours ago, tinman said:

I’ve had some of them recently. I tell them I don’t trust whichever courier they’re “using”. They come back with details on how’s going to work.
I tell them I’ll agree to it for a 1 bitcoin premium fee. 

then they leave me alone. 

I play along with it until they ask me to confirm my address and email - at which point i send them

Serious Fraud Office

2-4 Cockspur Street

London

SW1Y 5BS

fraudreport@@sfo.gov.uk

then they seem to go quiet too!