Academy Players Ready to Step Up

4 hours ago, littleover ram said:

Didn’t we have to totally rebuild the youth teams after admin? It’ll be years before it’s functional in producing players again 

No. Some players left and some coaches moved on too. We have replaced most of the staff members and still have players who are capable of ome day playing for our first team

3 hours ago, enachops said:

You mention loaning out these players before they get given a proper chance in the first team, but when was the last time this worked for us?

All of our successes from the academy have occurred without a loan. Riggott, Elliot, Hughes, Hendrick, Sibley, Knight, Bird, Cashin all went straight in. The last loan that worked for us was Sturridge over 25 years ago. With us being in League 1 and having a cat 1 academy, surely they should be ready for league 1 football now? Yes it’s a big step, but where is the evidence that loaning out works for us? Integrate them slowly with subs and cup games (EFL Trophy) whilst still getting top coaching should be the way ahead when in this league. 

If a manager isn't willing to give them game time, they need loans...

• 1 month later...

With 6 games to go, we've given the 2nd least amount of league minutes to players currently aged 21 or younger (699 mins), only 221 minutes more than Cambridge. We're over 16,000 minutes down on the side leading the charts (Wigan) and over 9600 minutes behind Peterborough (3rd).

We are however 4th for minutes given to academy graduates (7977 mins), mostly thanks to Bird and Cashin being regular starters and Sibley being a rotation option. Out of the promotion hopefuls, Peterborough are closest to us, ranked 6th with 5599 mins.

10 minutes ago, California Ram. said:

No-one’s mentioned Jack Thompson - already in England under 18s. With Wildsmith leaving - he could step up to the first team squad as one of the three keepers ? 

I think it's a bit soon to be putting him in . Still only 17 and has barely had half a season at U21 level. I would give him half of next season to see how he's progressing (maybe the full season) before loaning him out. He'll need to learn how to deal with being bullied by opposition players, something he wouldn't have truly experienced before.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

With 6 games to go, we've given the 2nd least amount of league minutes to players currently aged 21 or younger (699 mins), only 221 minutes more than Cambridge. We're over 16,000 minutes down on the side leading the charts (Wigan) and over 9600 minutes behind Peterborough (3rd).

We are however 4th for minutes given to academy graduates (7977 mins), mostly thanks to Bird and Cashin being regular starters and Sibley being a rotation option. Out of the promotion hopefuls, Peterborough are closest to us, ranked 6th with 5599 mins.

This is quite unbelievable really. We’re a cat 1 academy in League 1. Our youngsters compete against the likes of City, Arsenal etc and yet we can’t give minutes in League 1.

I’ve mentally written this season off in terms of academy debuts. Partly because of the immense pressure to get promoted but also because of the fact the club made a lot of comments about needing 18 months/ 2 years to rebuild. 

I really like Warne but it’s been my biggest gripe. I loved watching the academy prospects progress during the Rooney and Rosenior years (albeit more because of the other horrific things happening at the club).

I have to say, it will be a much bigger gripe if we do go up and aren’t using the academy. There will be much less pressure as finishing 15th will probably represent a good season on our return to the Championship. Therefore, you would like to think there will be more opportunities for the kids pressure-free. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I noticed Keilen Robinson started for the England U19s yesterday - usually League One sides would be clamouring for England U19 players on loan, yet this kid has barely been mentioned. I didn't even realise we had anyone in the Eng U19 set up. 

It was the most surprising callup this time around with him only recently stepping up to U21 level seemingly in the absence of Cox (U21 debut in December). I really like Keilen and he has the right mental attitude and comes across in a similar way as Bird.

The other defenders in that U19 side:
Kian Best - 10 apps for Preston
Alfie Dorrington - yet to play men's football, but very highly rated at Spurs.
Billy Gee - yet to play men's football. At Chelsea
Benjamin Arthur - Signed by Brentford from Peterborough in the summer for around £700k.
Lino Sousa - a LB who has made 5 apps on loan at Plymouth this season.

I think it's fair to say most current England U19 internationals will be looking for L1/2 football next season.
For comparison, I think it's worth noting Cox is in the Wales U19 squad and as I mentioned was above Robinson in the pecking order until his injury. All but 1 of his defensive teammates are still playing U18 football. The exception being Nevett, who is starting most games for Rochdale in the National League. One of them got 20 minutes for Cardiff in the League Cup (when 4-2 down vs Blackburn)