The 2024 Motorsports Thread

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What were you saying? His parking was a a little bit untidy today but long may it continue.  RB have got what they deserve, they don’t want competition for man baby but they certainly have got some competition for the mechanics to rebuild the car.

"Unacceptable" he screams whenever he doesn't get his way, someone else is better or a car didn't disappear because max wanted to be on that bit of track, stamping his we feets waving his wee fists.

Red bull should've called his bluff, signed the best available driver and told him that if he's all that he'll be faster anyway so why is he (and papa gas station abandonment) upset about it?

In the whole Checo debate, people forget two things: Max Verstappen is quickest when he drives a car that is close to crashing, and very few drivers also have that driving style.

His preference is to drive a car that oversteers and to rotate through a corner, and he is willing to sacrifice braking to get on the throttle earlier. He doesn’t care if, or even prefers that, the car is so loose it is right on the edge at corner entry.

The element that makes him one of the greats is also the element that can create a car that’s tricky to drive for other elite drivers. Yes, Max is significantly better than Checo, Gasly or Albon, but the gap is widened by the fact that each Red Bull is designed for him and him alone. 

Edited by Duracell

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

In the whole Checo debate, people forget two things: Max Verstappen is quickest when he drives a car that is close to crashing, and very few drivers also have that driving style.

His preference is to drive a car that oversteers and to rotate through a corner, and he is willing to sacrifice braking to get on the throttle earlier. He doesn’t care if, or even prefers that, the car is so loose it is right on the edge at corner entry.

The element that makes him one of the greats is also the element that can create a car that’s tricky to drive for other elite drivers. Yes, Max is significantly better than Checo, Gasly or Albon, but the gap is widened by the fact that each Red Bull is designed for him and him alone. 

It's also the case that when they had the fastest car they had some room to manouver to calm the car down enough for Perez to be able to handle it, but now they're not it seems like they're putting the ultimte set up on both cars and perez just can't handle it. Perez isn't as bad a driver as he's making himself look, but, he's been looking so done for long and I doubt he's doing "ok" today is going to change that much.

Race report:

Piastri wins ahead of Norris but McLaren management make themselves look weak, inept, and incompetent which is an achievement from a 1-2! During the second round of pitstops mclaren undercut Lando head of Oscar, then pussyfooted around ordering a swap whilst Norris was comfortably fastest and built a 6 second gap to his team mate, before, after many increasingly embarrising radio messages, he slowed down and let Piastri through.

Max's engineer had to tell him to stop being childish on the radio on his way to crashing into Hamilton and finishing 5th (Lewis doing a grand job to finish 3rd), Leclerc got 4th and Sainz 6th, Perez having one of his better days to recover to 7th, Russell 8th, Tsunoda yet again proving why he shouldn't get the red bull seat by finishing in the points and ahead of his team mate who didn't. Baby Stroll finished ahead of Alonso (who must be getting grumpy by now) for the last point.

Was a fairly entertaining race elevated by McLaren managing to up the drama levels significantly, although, I'd have prefered to have seen Lando win and just maybe make the drivers championship interesting, but it looks like McLaren have already given that up to Max on today's evidence.

Think we can now reasonably say McLaren is the quickest car on the grid. Still leave a lot to be desired with their embarrassing race management. The pleading with Norris was pretty unsightly. 

Max being a little p**** again shows that he is starting to feel the pressure. He can't just blast past other drivers into the horizon. 

Brilliant racing from Lewis today to pick up a podium in the 3rd quickest car. That Merc just needs a few more upgrades and it'll be right in the mix. 

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Max blames Lewis for the collision and the stewards decide it's a racing incident and let Max off any further punishment - the obvious bias is getting embarrassing....

Tbf to Max (while searching for a safe house for myself) he probably wouldn’t have collided with Lewis had he not locked up. While it was Max’s fault that the 2 cars collided, it was probably more of a generous racing incident as opposed to him deliberately causing a collision. 

Just now, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Tbf to Max (while searching for a safe house for myself) he probably wouldn’t have collided with Lewis had he not locked up. While it was Max’s fault that the 2 cars collided, it was probably more of a generous racing incident as opposed to him deliberately causing a collision. 

The problem is that there have been plenty of instances of drivers making a mistake (such as locking up) and being penalised by the stewards as they decide that the driver at fault should have taken more care - Max doesn't seem to be judged by the same standards....

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Was a fairly entertaining race elevated by McLaren managing to up the drama levels significantly, although, I'd have prefered to have seen Lando win and just maybe make the drivers championship interesting, but it looks like McLaren have already given that up to Max on today's evidence.

I wouldn’t say so if I’m being honest.

I think it was important for them to keep Piastri on side, as they wouldn’t want him getting in the way of Norris later in the season. They may have also been thinking about what Webber would advise Piastri had they gone back on their word.

The morning briefing they kept reminding Norris of was probably a case of them reminding both drivers that whoever is in P1 at a certain point gets priority, expecting that it would be Norris in P1.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Piastri starts making it difficult for Norris later in the season, that they remind him of Hungary where Norris essentially stopped on a straight to let him pass by.

For Norris to win he needs to average 7 points more than max per race, which is potentially achievable given the direction the 2 cars of going in.

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The problem is that there have been plenty of instances of drivers making a mistake (such as locking up) and being penalised by the stewards as they decide that the driver at fault should have taken more care - Max doesn't seem to be judged by the same standards....

I suppose not when you put it like that, but there are too many inconsistencies in the decisions made by stewards from race to race.

FWIW I'd have not peanalised either Max or Lewis for the incident, it was one where both could've done more to not have the contact, push comes to shove it's more on Max for being out of control locked up when he got there but the wasn't one of his worst ones. I was however highly amused by Max's "other people aren't allowed to move in the breaking zone" crys.

I do recommend Josh Revell's youtube channel.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Red bull gives you wings!

981e270f9f5c61fb297d6bf8e0d5865c.jpeg

One of these guys was a victim of reckless dive bombs from Lando Norris recently. 

One of these drivers was accused of moving under braking recently by Lando Norris. To which he replied that he always positions the car into the angle and then brakes to get the straight line. So he wasn't moving under braking, he was lining up the corner. 

It must have been Lewis though. Because if it was Verstappen he'd look like a big crybaby hypocrite. 

I like the suggestion that Lewis has to take a small part of the blame for squeezing the entry earlier than normal. I'm thinking anyone who waves Max through is probably not going to win a world championship anytime soon. 

Take the L, Red Bull. You're nailed on for top 3 constructors

Edited by Alph

The crowning glory of this race was surely hearing Karen whining about the Merc engineers taking the piss out of the Belgian Bullet's overtaking technique. Properly hilarious stuff from Horny Boy. That and Max's assertion that fffing and blinding at co-workers is not only fine, but fully warranted and that he reserves the right to call the whole teams c***s whenever he does not win.

Priceless!