The 2024 Motorsports Thread

Another weekend working is interfering with my sat on my arse watching people drive round in circles, however, we do have starting today, race week at the Isle of Man.

Hopefully the sun shines and there's no bad accidents. Supersport race 1 and super twins race 1 today.

First superbike race is tomorrow.

Highlights on itv every night.

Live, there's radio as mentioned above and live timing available. You can get a live TV pass from the website if you want it.

In other racing I think there's imsa from Detroit this weekend, but don't quote me on that.

I can only assume that the Max/Jos/Helmet camp has a toy throwing incident about Carlos Sainz who they blatantly should've signed up.

Sainz who whilst not in the absolute top top of the field has done far more to keep Leckerc honest than Checo has with max.

On 04/06/2024 at 19:52, RadioactiveWaste said:

I can only assume that the Max/Jos/Helmet camp has a toy throwing incident about Carlos Sainz who they blatantly should've signed up.

Sainz who whilst not in the absolute top top of the field has done far more to keep Leckerc honest than Checo has with max.

Going to RB wouldn't look good for Carlos I don't think. Being No1 at somewhere like Audi would be, if they can be competitive, midfield at least.

At least Perez is under no illusions, accept he is No.2 and pick up the odd race win along the way. Mexico's most decorated F1 driver when he retires and a legend in his country.

Massively looking forward to this weekend, hoping for a close Q and R given the field is closing up.

41 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Going to RB wouldn't look good for Carlos I don't think. Being No1 at somewhere like Audi would be, if they can be competitive, midfield at least.

At least Perez is under no illusions, accept he is No.2 and pick up the odd race win along the way. Mexico's most decorated F1 driver when he retires and a legend in his country.

Massively looking forward to this weekend, hoping for a close Q and R given the field is closing up.

The Audi question is a big one, if Audi was gonna be the Aston Martin's current level or better, then yeah, but who knows how long that's going to take.

He'd only have to be a bit better than Checo to not look bad at red bull,but I think Carlos is still holding out for the Merc drive.

As we look to the Canadian grand prix this weekend, it seems rain may affect things. Hard to get much of a read from the practice sessions.

Hopefully another strong weekend for ferrari and mclaren, hopefully another weekend of max tantrums, and of course, hopefully some racing at the actual front.

in other motorsports, i think the senior TT is today, BTCC from Thruxton, there'll be IMSA from mid-ohio (well, it's free on their youtube and the GTP class are equivilent to WEC prototypes), i'm sure there's others I've missed, but plenty of driving round in circles for everyone.

Georgey boy pole! Max P2 and Lando P3 then

Piastri, Danny Ric (good job), Alonso, Lewis, Yuki, Baby Stroll, Albon (good job).

Verstappen and Russell set identical times, but because Russell set the time first he keeps the pole.

As far as I'm aware groundhog murderer Latifi isn't racing anything this time, much to the rejoycing of the local wildlife.

Well, this year threatened to be more boring than last year. It's actually coming to life! 

Too obvious, Checo. The fans appreciate the effort and the constructors championship is set up nicely. But you're risking being caught out. At least offload one bag of ballast. 

2 hours ago, Alph said:

Well, this year threatened to be more boring than last year. It's actually coming to life! 

Too obvious, Checo. The fans appreciate the effort and the constructors championship is set up nicely. But you're risking being caught out. At least offload one bag of ballast. 

The more it happens, the more I'm convinced he has pictures of "little Horner" where it shouldn't be.

Crazy rain affected race.

Oh Lando.... could've should've would've again.

Both Checo and Yuki celebrating their renewals by spinning off the track. I found that highly amusing.

Lewis showed a bit more than he has been before deciding he couldn't be arsed after all, George making a couple of unforced errors meaning he didn't have the shot at the win he should've had.

Ferrari terrible.

Alpine a good result (by alpine standard).

And a shout out to the honey badger for a pretty decent weekend, out qualified his contract happy team mate and brought home some points.

Only just caught up. 

Bit frustrating seeing that Norris and Russell had the pace but couldn't capitalise. Verstappen seemed to enjoy that win more than any other in recent memory. One that wasn't nailed on! 

Perez wasn't exactly pushing up through the field before he binned it, was he? That contract is a gift. 

Magnussen making the most of wet tires. Haas were so impressed they stopped for pictures during his pit. Who needs points anyway. 

Good race though.

I'm not sure a two year extension for Perez means much at this point. It's not like Red Bull won't simply fire him if his form continues to go off a cliff. I suspect they wanted next season sewn up because the driver market is very busy and they didn't see much value elsewhere.

They seem intent on not taking Tsunoda seriously and Ricciardo hasn't done nearly enough to justify a promotion, so they would have to go fishing in a very active market which would probably have been very expensive.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm not sure a two year extension for Perez means much at this point. It's not like Red Bull won't simply fire him if his form continues to go off a cliff. I suspect they wanted next season sewn up because the driver market is very busy and they didn't see much value elsewhere.

They seem intent on not taking Tsunoda seriously and Ricciardo hasn't done nearly enough to justify a promotion, so they would have to go fishing in a very active market which would probably have been very expensive.

I guess the other part is any one coming in is a risk, they might look like an upside and end up with the Gasly then Albon disintegration situation all over again where past form suggests Perez gets it figured out in the end, even if it always seems too little too late.

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Agree with all of this but winning the constructor's championship would in itself offset the uplift in wages from Checo to Sainz and that's before one takes into account the increased sponsorships and other revenue streams derived from another year at the top. For that reason alone, I don't see this as a purely commercial decision, but rather more one of expedience*.

*Yes, that's a euphemism!

45 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agree with all of this but winning the constructor's championship would in itself offset the uplift in wages from Checo to Sainz and that's before one takes into account the increased sponsorships and other revenue streams derived from another year at the top. For that reason alone, I don't see this as a purely commercial decision, but rather more one of expedience*.

*Yes, that's a euphemism!

Fair point, I guess they think Max can scrape the constructors this season and next even if Perez is inconsistent. This season that's probably true but I think 2025 could be a real scrap for Red Bull if McLaren and Ferrari keep up their development pace. Mercedes might get close enough to snipe for podiums more regularly but they've seemingly got further to go than the other 'big' teams to do so.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta