Hardest fixtures so far

ariotofmyown

We are obviously top of the 4 match form guide, 2nd in 6 match form.

We have the 4th best record in the league too.

Got a nice 11 day break now to rest ready for the busy Xmas period.

Our 2 postponed games will be after the transfer window reopens, so should give us an advantage over teams who have already played more games, especially if we strengthen.

Of course, performances haven't always been great this season, but we are heading in the right direction.

I know everybody always wants everything straight away, but perhaps it's sometimes ok to allow things to take a bit of time.

It's also ok not to start with definite opinions, then have to re-enforce these at every available moment.

Finally, it might be a coincidence, but most of the posters whom I've "debated" with on other subjects in the past usually talk sense on football matters. I often find myself nodding in agreement with@G STAR RAM, @Archied, @maxjam. Even @iRam sometimes!

38 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Our 2 postponed games will be after the transfer window reopens, so should give us an advantage over teams who have already played more games, especially if we strengthen.

Of course, performances haven't always been great this season, but we are heading in the right direction.

I know everybody always wants everything straight away, but perhaps it's sometimes ok to allow things to take a bit of time.

It's also ok not to start with definite opinions, then have to re-enforce these at every available moment.

Finally, it might be a coincidence, but most of the posters whom I've "debated" with on other subjects in the past usually talk sense on football matters. I often find myself nodding in agreement with@G STAR RAM, @Archied, @maxjam. Even @iRam sometimes!

Well first and foremost we're all here for the football, so we've always got that 😘

I've always been an advocate for patience, we're still feeling the effects of previous years - not only re. the players we've bought in, but the (lack of) players coming through the academy.  We could cope with selling players off during administration as we had good players coming through that were just about ready to step up - have an injury crisis now and we're down to the bare bones. 

I said a while back that assuming we can get to Christmas in or around the top 6 we'll be an attractive proposition for players that want to come for a promotion push.  Last year the January transfer window killed us - we were still under restrictions, didn't reinforce and ran out of stamina whereas the teams around us strengthened.  This season assuming we bring in some good players, we should kick on.

As you mentioned, we've now got a nice 11 day break to recharge and the 2 postponed games will hopefully come after we've added a couple more players.  I still think we'll do okay this season, we just need to stop the kneejerk reactions after every match.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Next game is in 6 days time.

One of our postponed games is against Reading, who by the time we play them could potentially have new owners, a different manager and several new players.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this thread. After Saturday matches, we'll be halfway thru the season for scheduled fixtures, although most the top teams have missed some games. The teams each top side are yet to play are:

Portsmouth: Oxford, Fleetwood

Peteborough: Shrewsbury, Exeter

Derby: Charlton, Reading

Oxford: Portsmouth, Barnsley

Stevenage: Barnsley

Bolton: Barnsley, Wigan, Orient

Barnsley: Bolton, Oxford, Stevenage

We are still on the easy end of remaining 1st half fixtures. Possibly good news we are playing on Cup 3rd round weekend on 6th Jan too. Only Portsmouth from top 7 are also playing, so will help us with fixture congestiom relative to other sides.

By the evening of 1st Jan, if we are still within a win from automatics after already playing Peteborough and Oxford twice, we will be well set.