Cheltenham v Derby County: Player Ratings

Ellafella

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv).

1Wildsmith

24Nyambe

35Nelson

6Cashin

3Forsyth

12Smith

22Fornah

8Bird 🦅 

11Méndez-Laing

16Wilson

10Waghorn

4Hourihan

7Barkhuizen

14Washington

9Collins

12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv).

1Wildsmith 6

24Nyambe 6

35Nelson 7

6Cashin 6.5

3Forsyth 5

12Smith 6

22Fornah 5.5

8Bird 🦅  8.5

11Méndez-Laing 6

16Wilson 5.5

10Waghorn 6

4Hourihan 5.5

7Barkhuizen 7

14Washington 5

9Collins 5.5

1Wildsmith - 7 - if I'm nit-picking, he got away with a careless moment in the first half (ball rolling under his foot) but otherwise solid. He will get caught out at this rate though as he's had a few silly episodes this season and got away with all of them.

24Nyambe - 7 - another sturdy showing. I think we can conclude he's got it. Let's just hope we can tie him down on a longer deal and that he continues to have it after that!

35Nelson - 7.5 - good yet again, plus a goal to boot.

6Cashin - 6.5 - not as dominant as usual, nor as useful on the ball, but did OK.

3Forsyth - 6 - a bit wobbly today by his high standards.

12Smith - 6.5 - buoyed by his performance in midweek, worked hard today but couldn't find as much control in the midfield

22Fornah - 5.5 - first average performance - and then his messing around led to the goal. Am sure he'll be back on it next time.

8Bird - 8 - obviously it's a pro-rata rating as he only played the second half; was heading for an even higher mark with the way he absolutely bossed midfield... and then PW moved him further forward to accommodate Hourihane! Whyyyyyyyyy?!!!!

11Méndez-Laing - 6.5 - some good things but fluffed a fairly easy chance early on. He must be due a rest... oh wait... now he's off to play for Guatemala.

16Wilson - 6 - did nothing of note.

10Waghorn - 5.5 - possibly worth a 6 because I gave him 5.5 for his previous start, and he was better today... but 6 is average and he just wasn't at it, again. Clumsy first touch, some questionable decisions... needs playing in a different role or leaving out for the time being.

4Hourihane - 6 - application but no major effect on the game. See "Bird" above for disillusionment about position/personnel decisions by PW.

7Barkhuizen - 7 - worked very hard throughout and managed to get a couple of decent crosses over from the left. Still could do better (and probably would, if played on the right).

14Washington - 6 - no time to do anything and he did nothing.

9Collins - 5.5 - no shortage of effort but have to mark him down for the missed chance at the end, the awful cross straight out of play near the end when we needed some quality, and his predictable reversion to poor (rush-of-blood) decisions when he's desperate to do well. He's been doing it from Day One and it's so frustrating.

1 Wildsmith 6 Did he have anything to do, apart from the goal? The little incident where he let the ball roll through him caused a stir, but it was nowhere near going over the line.

24Nyambe 7 solid again but had to turn and pass back too often because there was no forward option.

35Nelson 8 great headers, good distribution and saved our blushes with the headed goal. Had to be there.

6Cashin 7 played well overall, if he could get his attacking headers on target could have been a match-winning performance. I've never understood why it's not a foul when you're continuously leaning into a player already in the air but I've never seen one given in an attacking situation. 

3Forsyth 6 started very brightly on a hot afternoon but was wilting by the final whistle. Fans need to cut him a bit of slack because he bleeds Derby County and never gave up, despite the groans from the fans immediately in front of him.

12Smith 6.5 started as if carrying on from Blackpool but gradually lost confidence as he tried to patrol midfield a man short.

22Fornah 5.5 not his best half and a mistake for their goal, again, left a man short in midfield and had to cover a lot of ground.

8Bird 🦅 8 came on, could have changed the game, but by then Cheltenham were determined to hold on for something. I understand that he might not be fully match-fit, but play him first 45 and take him off when we are in control. Or better still, play him in a three. Moving him to accommodate Hourihane killed our chances.

11Méndez-Laing 6 looks knackered, has lost his confidence in front of goal (a bad miss and passing when he should have shot demonstrates this.) Hope he gets a rest by being used as an impact sub when he returns because his energy levels need a re-set.

16Wilson 6 didn't look as strong as at Blackpool, but by then we were playing a very well-set and determined defence.

10Waghorn 6 love him to bits but he doesn't really work playing off Collins like this. But we keep trying it. Why?

4Hourihane 4.5 strolled about a bit.

7Barkhuizen 7.5 I thought he had a good game, worked so hard with little end result because he was being asked to do the wrong thing. Had his best spell when linking with Bird early second half.

14Washington 5 can't "get in behind" when the defence is camped in the six yard box, pointless substitution.

9Collins 6.5 worked hard again but when he doesn't take his chances there's not a lot more. Whole game was set up to feed him crosses against 6'6 defenders who duffed him up early doors. Never gave up but that last chance summed up his day.

Warne 3 what were you thinking? Please don't think it again! 

Setting up to play constant crosses in the air when they have three big defenders and we have two titchy forwards. I'd have loved to see them tested on the floor, but no, rinse and repeat. Thank goodness Bird didn't get the memo! 

ATG

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

1 Wildsmith 6 Did he have anything to do, apart from the goal? The little incident where he let the ball roll through him caused a stir, but it was nowhere near going over the line.

24Nyambe 7 solid again but had to turn and pass back too often because there was no forward option.

35Nelson 8 great headers, good distribution and saved our blushes with the headed goal. Had to be there.

6Cashin 7 played well overall, if he could get his attacking headers on target could have been a match-winning performance. I've never understood why it's not a foul when you're continuously leaning into a player already in the air but I've never seen one given in an attacking situation. 

3Forsyth 6 started very brightly on a hot afternoon but was wilting by the final whistle. Fans need to cut him a bit of slack because he bleeds Derby County and never gave up, despite the groans from the fans immediately in front of him.

12Smith 6.5 started as if carrying on from Blackpool but gradually lost confidence as he tried to patrol midfield a man short.

22Fornah 5.5 not his best half and a mistake for their goal, again, left a man short in midfield and had to cover a lot of ground.

8Bird 🦅 8 came on, could have changed the game, but by then Cheltenham were determined to hold on for something. I understand that he might not be fully match-fit, but play him first 45 and take him off when we are in control. Or better still, play him in a three. Moving him to accommodate Hourihane killed our chances.

11Méndez-Laing 6 looks knackered, has lost his confidence in front of goal (a bad miss and passing when he should have shot demonstrates this.) Hope he gets a rest by being used as an impact sub when he returns because his energy levels need a re-set.

16Wilson 6 didn't look as strong as at Blackpool, but by then we were playing a very well-set and determined defence.

10Waghorn 6 love him to bits but he doesn't really work playing off Collins like this. But we keep trying it. Why?

7Barkhuizen 7.5 I thought he had a good game, worked so hard with little end result because he was being asked to do the wrong thing. Had his best spell when linking with Bird early second half.

14Washington 5 can't "get in behind" when the defence is camped in the six yard box, pointless substitution.

9Collins 6.5 worked hard again but when he doesn't take his chances there's not a lot more. Whole game was set up to feed him crosses against 6'6 defenders who duffed him up early doors. Never gave up but that last chance summed up his day.

Setting up to play constant crosses in the air when they have three big defenders and we have two titchy forwards. I'd have loved to see them tested on the floor, but no, rinse and repeat. Thank goodness Bird didn't get the memo! 

ATG

What @angieram says, but omsaotbiadc

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

ATG

Can't tell you how much I agree with this. (It's a lot.)

Didn't notice the groans for Fozzie. He's earned a bit of cut slack, whether taken over his whole DCFC career or just the last 12 months! Can never question his commitment but yesterday was his least impressive performance of the season so far (and even then really wasn't that bad!) - he also put in one wicked cross from the left-edge of the penalty area, which eluded everyone. He'll be back on it next game.

22 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1Wildsmith - 6 largely unemployed

24Nyambe - 7 Mr consistency

35Nelson - 7 lost his man for their goal, sound otherwise

6Cashin - 7 good game, unlucky not to score

3Forsyth - 5 looks jaded

12Smith - 6 busy performance

22Fornah - 5 not his day

8Bird 🦅  - 7.5 looked a class above

11Méndez-Laing - 5 needs a goal and a rest

16Wilson - 5.5 no impact

10Waghorn - 5.5 frustrating afternoon for him

4Hourihan - 6 some nice touches