Corners !!

Keepyuppy

Are corner delivery is absolutely woeful !!. 
Why do nearly all of our corners go straight in to the keepers hands ?.              Saturday what the prime example of this  - is it our game plan and players don’t try attack the ball or get in between the keeper and the ball or is is just crap execution. If it’s the latter, then we need to find someone who can deliver a decent corner. Hourihane’s corners on Saturday were utter pants !!! 

28 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Are corner delivery is absolutely woeful !!. 
Why do nearly all of our corners go straight in to the keepers hands ?.              Saturday what the prime example of this  - is it our game plan and players don’t try attack the ball or get in between the keeper and the ball or is is just crap execution. If it’s the latter, then we need to find someone who can deliver a decent corner. Hourihane’s corners on Saturday were utter pants !!! 

I think the opposition score from more of our corners than we do. 

When pinging them into the box, I don't understand why Hourihane gently floats corners in. Corners are dangerous when they're fired in with pace and top spin. Sibley or Bird have shown they take far more dangerous corners. I imagine White could too. 

But, very few goals are scored from conventional corners so what we also need to do is to be imaginative on the training ground and come up with clever routines. Especially when referees at this level are so poor and allow our players to be held and blocked without sanction.

The trouble is, most teams have taller players than us in this league, so we're unlikely to score from a conventional header from a corner. We need to be more inventive by playing it to players in space or whipping in the corner which could take a deflection off a player from either team.

We're not a big side and these floated corners generally just get mopped up by central defenders and keeper. Even if we get on the end of them its hard to generate much pace on the ball to offer goal threat. If you're not awash with aerial threat then if we are going to put the ball in the box then at least really whip it in and you might just catch the central defence flat-footed and give smaller players a chance of doing something. Cash's header against Charlton was emphatic enough but seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Based on interview comments it is clearly something that niggles Warne too.

Also, the amount of holding, pushing shirt-pulling these days is just ridiculous. There was a theory a while back that refs were going to be much stricter on it but that seems to have been conveniently dropped. If you did to Collins in the centre circle what happens at most corners then it'd be a free kick all day long but seemingly in the area it doesn't count.

I agree with the comments stated, but it still doesn’t excuse hitting a dolly ball straight to the keeper does it. 
perhaps we should abandon our current corner taking and play a short corner, then a square ball somewhere outside the box and someone just leather it towards goal - at least it’s a shot that could go anywhere, get a deflection or at least test the keeper if on target ? 

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

And if I had a pound for the amount of times we play a short corner. I struggle to think of how many goals we score from short corners? I seem to remember Sean Flynn and/or Paul Simpson scoring from 1 many years ago.

Any player playing a short corner should be sacked on the spot.

Pity Gareth Ainsworth doesn't hold the same view. If he'd halted play to immediately sack the lad playing the short corner, Wyc***e wouldn't have scored their second goal about half a second later. 

2 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Pity Gareth Ainsworth doesn't hold the same view. If he'd halted play to immediately sack the lad playing the short corner, Wyc***e wouldn't have scored their second goal about half a second later. 

And thats the other frustration, other clubs seem to get joy from them.

I do vaguely remember a goal we scored this year from a short corner to be honest, as I went mad when we played the corner and then sat down and shut up when we scored.