Miners Strike - what happened in Derbyshire?

DerbyRevolution

51 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

2 strikes that caused a 3/4 working week early/mid 70s, Thatcher the milk snatcher never forgot the power of the Unions, Red Robbo(Derick Robinson) at British Leyland had become some kind of an Icon, If the Water in the summer was too warm he'd bring the workers out, Work to rule, Lightning strikes, There weren't ballots in them days...you did as you were told.

I've read Scargill books, He tells how he was treated while at the pit, He says they tried to break him by giving him menial tasks...but it's only the written word, Scargill hated Thatcher and Thatcher hated the Unions, She brought in draconian union laws, Stopped some social payments, This was against those that in an instant would take up arms to defend our Country if asked.

Those that are my age or nearing my age and lived in the 70s and 80s would know what happened, Whether you were on the right or left of politics, Whether you read the Mirror or the Sun, Whether you went for a beer at the working mens clubs or to a dinner/dance with your better half, You couldn't miss the divide that Politics brought...and it hasn't changed ?

I think / believe there’s a slight shift today though and I believe though lots don’t see it it will become clearer , the middle classes and the small business people are comming under attack now where as it was the working class back then , the working class are almost destroyed today with little power or say over they’re lives , jobs and security, zero hours contracts abound , agency workers , self employed , sub contractor s all with little to no rights and droppable at the drop of a hat ,

the middle classes are todays targets 

• 1 year later...