Fleetwood Town V Derby County: Ratings

Ellafella

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Thanks, @Ellafella.

A comment on the lower ratings. I feel Collins and Barkhuizen are working really hard but things aren't quite coming off for them.

Hourihane for me is coasting a bit, very casual at times on the ball. I expected more from him, most room for improvement,  imo.

You'll probably get less ratings at away matches as fewer of us were actually there. Good work, though  thank you.

@angieram thanks for your continued input and observations. Undoubtedly we have a very honest group of players this year and I am very confident that they will come good. Like many others, I am concerned though about our scoring record; we have had 69 shots over 5 league games from which we have scored 3 goals. That's a ratio of 1 goal every 23 shots - worrying because we only average 14 shots at home. I've looked at Peterborough's record this year and their ratio is far richer; they too have a robust defence so we are in for a tough game this Saturday. I know we have been playing against "parked buses" away from home but there is a smidgen of suspicion in my mind that this isn't just bad luck but indicative of a more embedded structural issue; we haven't quite got the balance right - we are like an engine that just isn't quite firing on 4 cylinders. No doubt LR is working constantly to get this right; we know from the days of Mac1 especially, that small tweaks here and there can work wonders. Knight in midfield, Bird in the middle and Sibley starting regularly at left midfield, a fit McGoldrick up front and we could see a difference. So where would that leave Hourihane? I agree with you about him; a bit of a "socks down", languid, strolling sort of player; typically Aston Villa silky skills (that ball to Barkhuizen V Barnsley, first-time, arced over 2 opposition players to release Barks down the left was "liquid football"); Huge talent - could we afford to leave him out? I doubt it. His dead-ball delivery is not dissimilar to the great Alan Hinton; on a sixpence; his cross from the corner V Barnsley was what caused the defender to OG. It will be good to see it unfold.

Thanks again for your input. Best wishes.   

33 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

@angieram thanks for your continued input and observations. Undoubtedly we have a very honest group of players this year and I am very confident that they will come good. Like many others, I am concerned though about our scoring record; we have had 69 shots over 5 league games from which we have scored 3 goals. That's a ratio of 1 goal every 23 shots - worrying because we only average 14 shots at home. I've looked at Peterborough's record this year and their ratio is far richer; they too have a robust defence so we are in for a tough game this Saturday. I know we have been playing against "parked buses" away from home but there is a smidgen of suspicion in my mind that this isn't just bad luck but indicative of a more embedded structural issue; we haven't quite got the balance right - we are like an engine that just isn't quite firing on 4 cylinders. No doubt LR is working constantly to get this right; we know from the days of Mac1 especially, that small tweaks here and there can work wonders. Knight in midfield, Bird in the middle and Sibley starting regularly at left midfield, a fit McGoldrick up front and we could see a difference. So where would that leave Hourihane? I agree with you about him; a bit of a "socks down", languid, strolling sort of player; typically Aston Villa silky skills (that ball to Barkhuizen V Barnsley, first-time, arced over 2 opposition players to release Barks down the left was "liquid football"); Huge talent - could we afford to leave him out? I doubt it. His dead-ball delivery is not dissimilar to the great Alan Hinton; on a sixpence; his cross from the corner V Barnsley was what caused the defender to OG. It will be good to see it unfold.

Thanks again for your input. Best wishes.   

Just how many of those 69 shots could be classed as ‘nailed on’ chances to score. My guess is very few.

Part of the problem may be that when we turnover possession our first thought is to go back and keep the ball, instead of immediately looking for the killer forward pass. The other part of the problem may be that we don’t seem to win possession high up the pitch, with most turnovers from goal kicks, throw ins, free kicks and corners.

At the moment we are playing safe football, inevitably resulting in low scoring games.

Just an opinion, I don’t have the stats to back this up.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

You'll probably get less ratings at away matches as fewer of us were actually there. Good work, though  thank you.

Yep, another victim of the club's utterly bizarre ticketing policy for away games (snigger). 

30 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Just how many of those 69 shots could be classed as ‘nailed on’ chances to score. My guess is very few.

Part of the problem may be that when we turnover possession our first thought is to go back and keep the ball, instead of immediately looking for the killer forward pass. The other part of the problem may be that we don’t seem to win possession high up the pitch, with most turnovers from goal kicks, throw ins, free kicks and corners.

At the moment we are playing safe football, inevitably resulting in low scoring games.

Your “hunches” are valid I believe. Worth looking at Ben Mayhem’s Experimental 3-6-1 website.  His Xg charts for League 1 are a good starting point. Our Xg for Fleetwood was >3 but the highest individual Xg was Cashin at 0.6.  There were no forwards amongst our top 3 Xg individuals. As we know Knight missed a header - would he have had more composure if he’d not just sprinted 55 yards from his fullback position? 

37 minutes ago, chadlad said:

A pattern we acquired during Cocu’s tenure perhaps ? 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Everyone has access to RamsTV but some feel less comfortable rating matches they aren't at.

I will rate from RamsTV but not from Radio Derby commentary. 

The game wasn't available on Rams TV (unless you've got a feed from a VPN abroad). 

I was, of course, joking anyway. 

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Everyone has access to RamsTV but some feel less comfortable rating matches they aren't at.

I will rate from RamsTV but not from Radio Derby commentary. 

I love following the game via BBC Report "Live Text"...updates every 12 minutes or so with things like  "Sibley receives a yellow card for a dangerous foul.."  Very handy "data" for basing your Player Match Ratings on.  ?