Movement for the Premier League to take over the Championship (and Divisions One and Two)

Macintosh

I think a lot would agree the EFL are making a right mess of our league. No-one can understand P&S (FFP), the standard of refereeing is poor to awful, TV money is laughable compared with what the PL were able to negotiate and then you have cup matches that have VAR and can decide the result, or cup matches without VAR that would have been effected if it had been present. Teams relegated from the PL no longer have VAR but did the previous season, why can that be?

It's a mess and wouldn't it be better for the game if the PL oversaw all four divisions? Could not supporters' groups communicate amongst each other and suggest this, from Accrington to York, get it back to how it used to be? They could even have lower division football televised on Thursday and Sunday evenings if that made it more presentable to give them even more air time.

A downside I can foresee is that the PL would get reduced, but it's not as if many clubs have any chance of promotion now, Derby may never get back there again and we already know that three of those promoted will be receiving Parachute dosh.

55 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I think PL1 and PL2 is more sensible. Too many good sized clubs for one division so having a wealthy 2nd tier would help there.

League 1 and League 2 should stay with the EFL

Or just sort out the parachute payments, then we're all good.

I see your point but what would Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth ( & maybe us next season ) think about only PL1 & Pl2

There's a danger that more decent sized clubs drop outside the top two divisions soon

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

My guess is they are not interested in the slightest. Big PL clubs have got near zero interest in playing the smaller PL clubs let alone sharing their riches with championship teams

That is the issue they already feel that the bottom half Prem teams get too much..

Edited by Yani P

6 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

My guess is they are not interested in the slightest. Big PL clubs have got near zero interest in playing the smaller PL clubs let alone sharing their riches with championship teams

They might go for 2 PL divisions of 16 teams with 2 up and 2 down each season. they'd probably not want more than 2 go down from PL2 (assuming they don't close the door forever)

49 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I see your point but what would Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth ( & maybe us next season ) think about only PL1 & Pl2

There's a danger that more decent sized clubs drop outside the top two divisions soon

I fully expect the larger teams in Lg1 to get back up in the next year or two, certainly Sunderland and Wednesday, possibly Bolton and Ipswich next year.

Once they are up, the increased PL2 income should enable them to compete and stay up.

These are reasons I think the European super league is inevitable at some point although not in the format from earlier in the year

22 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

ESL, if onlythey could have got away with it, you can bet your bottom billion dollar they would have  gone ahead with it and have the bottom feeders slug it out with the championship

I agree - the ESL could actually save traditional football... the basis of it (only a select few clubs able to compete at the highest level) is pretty much here already given the structure and revenues of the PL and EFL. European soccer (and its beginning with the Prem) is trending towards US sports with a top division that never changes, and feeder clubs from below. This is what the execs from the top PL clubs want as it keeps their revenue streams constant and has very little risk. If it doesn't happen explicitly, it'll continue implicitly, encouraging wealthy benefactors to roll the dice with their club's future. 

Small clubs cannot compete at the upper echelons of the PL consistently without a) a large, global fan base (see Man Utd, Liverpool) which generates huge revenues, or b) incredibly wealthy benefactors who want to use it to improve their image (see Man City, Chelsea). 

There are so many problems with football today. Transfer fees are a crazy concept, agents fees even more so. TV money drives revenues but is negotiated in a vacuum, with EFL TV negotiations seemingly a take what you're given exercise. Wages are completely skewed at the top of the game and set unrealistic expectations across the rest. Academies strip talent from smaller clubs for a pittance of what those players will be worth in the future. Corruption is rife (see UEFA, FIFA, match fixing... and you don't think it happens at the smaller less public bodies????). Local fans in the stadium are no longer the most important thing big club owners need to look after. Its those who sit in front of tellies from across the Atlantic who have a fantasy team to manage.