PCR tests for travelling

IF it all works out i am due to go abroad in September (amberzone) and started to look at rules and regulations. As it stands a PCR test is due on 2 of return it seems. Is it best to book this before setting off? any good places to get this done in Derby or online? It also looks like we just need lateral flow test for going out with double vaccin. Any tips or experience about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If 'fit to fly' tests are still in place before returning home (in which I will not be travelling), then look on Tripadvisor for places in the area you're visiting. I've seen lots of specific info for testing in places like Menorca and the Canaries. 

As for day 2 tests on return I think they have to be ordered 'before you arrive back'? and so would be delivered to your home address by day 2. Again there is lots of info on testing on the Covid section of MSE forums. Plus of course there is the list of Govt recognised testing companies on .gov.uk.

Covid: Student 'crying for water' in Majorca quarantine hotel - BBC News

Why I'm giving travelling abroad a miss while there are tests before you can get on the plane to come home.

"Spain is currently on the UK's amber list, meaning double vaccinated travellers no longer have to quarantine once they return, but must take a private Covid test before the flight home.

If this test is positive, they must isolate for 10 days before returning to the UK, and this will sometimes mean being placed in a quarantine hotel."

I think you'll probably have to test negative too before you'll be allowed to fly?

11 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We're off to Crete hopefully on Friday. 

PCR tests purchased for out there. 

Randox tests purchased for two days after our return. 

Roughly £160 spent on testing so far. 

Worth it for a week away with the family. 

Thanks for that. Am i right in thinking that we dont need PCR (only lateral flow) for getting on the plane unless the destination country needs it?

Also do you have to register somewhere what will be your day 2? Reason for asking is because i got 2 return flights booked and not sure which one i will take.

You’re right (certainly in our case) that getting on the plane you just need your two jab confirmation though I think they can do some random testing too at the arrival airport. For Greece we need to fill out a Passenger Locator Form (PLF). Anyone not doubly vaccinated (in our case two children over 12) need to a lateral flow test 48 hours before scheduled arrival time.

I can only answer from our own circumstances but we need to do a test, scanning the QR code on the box and following the instructions on the website to which they direct you. That’s 2-3 days before we come home. We haven’t been asked to advise anyone in advance of our test dates, either then or when we get home. We do have to do another PLF before we come back.

I would point out that ladies far more clever and organised than me sorted this out. One works for the NHS and has good knowledge of the rules and even she found it hard. The old and vulnerable would find this system impossible and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to book anything in this country without smart phones and internet access.

There seems to be no acknowledgement of the over 80 demographic which exceeds 3 million.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Thanks for that. Am i right in thinking that we dont need PCR (only lateral flow) for getting on the plane unless the destination country needs it?

Also do you have to register somewhere what will be your day 2? Reason for asking is because i got 2 return flights booked and not sure which one i will take.

just done this in reverse, Gib UK Gib.  Much depends if you are double jabbed.  You must have details of your day 2 test on your passenger location form otherwise you will be stopped and denied entry.  It is a test before day 3 and you can arrange this at the arrival airport.  EMA has a cheaper drive through option, check their site.  Remember you need to comply with 2 countries' rules and there maybe a location form for the country you are visiting.  I spent more time filling forms than I was actually airborne and had 3 tests in 5 days

Check on this website and enter the the specific country you are visiting.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

I've spent about £2,000 on tests in the last 12 months due to working abroad, (nearly twice as much as I have on flights). The whole set-up is a con. A PCR test here is £99, but in Italy it's €50 (£43).

Anyone think there are a few cabinet ministers with shares in these "start-up" businesses?

The first time I had to use the statutory "Day 2 / Day 8" set-up on return, it took me nearly a week to get the results (so I only got my day 2 test result the day before my day 8 test was due). I did some digging on the internet and it turned out that this particular set-up was completely inundated. A person who lived nearby had driven to their labs and said the mail sacks were piled 10 foot high outside. Imagine the income when they are filled with tests in a small envelope at £100 a pop

Edited by Grumpy Git

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Check on this website and enter the the specific country you are visiting.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

I've spent about £2,000 on tests in the last 12 months due to working abroad, (nearly twice as much as I have on flights). The whole set-up is a con. A PCR test here is £99, but in Italy it's €50 (£43).

Anyone think there are a few cabinet ministers with shares in these "start-up" businesses?

Yep someone is making a fortune out of the rules.  In Gib; £30 for fit to fly, 2 day test FREE

14 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Yep someone is making a fortune out of the rules.  In Gib; £30 for fit to fly, 2 day test FREE

I will add, that it is possible (only in the last few days), to "get away" with a £30 lateral flow test for fit-to-fly. But on a trip last week it cost me £30 fit-to-fly out, £50 fit-to-fly home and £80 day 2, so £160. A German engineer on the same job last week (in Scandinavia) had to pay a sum total of £0, as they have an EU agreement if you're double-jabbed, (a similar trip in March cost me £340 in tests). I guess that's my B r e x i t bonus?

Edited by Grumpy Git

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I will add, that it is possible (only in the last few days), to "get away" with a £30 lateral flow test for fit-to-fly. But on a trip last week it cost me £30 fit-to-fly out, £50 fit-to-fly home and £80 day 2, so £160. A German engineer on the same job last week (in Scandinavia) had to pay a sum total of £0, as they have an EU agreement if you're double-jabbed, (a similar trip in March cost me £340 in tests). I guess that's my B r e x i t bonus?

Boris bonus????

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to be corrected but it seems like best option for those living in Derby is testing at EMA. The real bugger is that fliight arrives after test center close so i'll need to get back there following day what a pallaver. Also am i right in thinking that getting  back to England from  amber country i need a negative test (lateral flow will do), but does the test have to be certified by a doctor?

4 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Happy to be corrected but it seems like best option for those living in Derby is testing at EMA. The real bugger is that fliight arrives after test center close so i'll need to get back there following day what a pallaver. Also am i right in thinking that getting  back to England from  amber country i need a negative test (lateral flow will do), but does the test have to be certified by a doctor?

From Amber, you need a negative test, taken in the presence of a medical professional, within 72hrs of your arrival time in Uk. It can be antigen or pcr. 

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That’s what I did.  Very efficient cheaper than most.  Still have to go through the process of registering the kit online.  Time before did the home thing didn’t tell me that somebody had to be home to sign for the kit.  More expensive and a bit of a faff really