Can we assume MM is a rich man

Curtains

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Can’t see that happening...

Mate that’s the whole problem in a nutshell.

Of course the other scenario is for Mel to have a change of mind and carry on running Derby. 

That is unlikely though. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Mate that’s the whole problem in a nutshell.

Of course the other scenario is for Mel to have a change of mind and carry on running Derby. 

That is unlikely though. 

Selling the club for a £1 and the new owners taking on the debt is the only likely scenario that I can see....time will tell....

Just to buy the club is worth 60 million and media are saying people won’t buy it with debt. Other clubs are going to want 40 million minimum to buy them. This club is worth the debt. Fantastic stadium fantastic academy. A wage budget of less than 15 million at the moment. Try buying any other premier league ready club facilities for less than 40 million these days and I’ll say differently. 

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Just to buy the club is worth 60 million and media are saying people won’t buy it with debt. Other clubs are going to want 40 million minimum to buy them. This club is worth the debt. Fantastic stadium fantastic academy. A wage budget of less than 15 million at the moment. Try buying any other premier league ready club facilities for less than 40 million these days and I’ll say differently. 

I agree, that is what still gives me a bit of hope. 40 million and initially debt free for a club the size of Derby ?

Yes he’s a rich man and good luck to him.Is he rich enough to run a football club as the sole investor? NO.look at some of the other “sole investors” Phil Davies ,Elliot Short,Jack Walker,Sir Jack Hayward.Eventually they or their families said enough is enough and cut ties with football.why would anyone in their right mind blow all their money on a football club? Obscene players wages plus perks and agents fees have ruined football.I don’t blame MM for trying to sell.

1 minute ago, Turnstile said:

Yes he’s a rich man and good luck to him.Is he rich enough to run a football club as the sole investor? NO.look at some of the other “sole investors” Phil Davies ,Elliot Short,Jack Walker,Sir Jack Hayward.Eventually they or their families said enough is enough and cut ties with football.why would anyone in their right mind blow all their money on a football club? Obscene players wages plus perks and agents fees have ruined football.I don’t blame MM for trying to sell.

It's more to do with how you spend the money not how much you have at our level. 

This is the problem with the modern fan (and please, I'm not having personal pop at any one person) but they swoosh numbers about like confetti without taking a moment to consider them. "£40m is a good price for this club", "we're worth £60m", "it's only £20m of debt for a club our size, that's nothing" "if we want to compete and be taken seriously this is what is needed". This is more money than everyone on this forum (unless Elon Musk is a secret lurking Ram) put together will ever see and we have all just become totally anaesthetised to this 'we need to spend £10m on a striker' mindset.

Whether Mel is a rich man, whether he was but isn't, whether he has triggered his 'that's enough' personal ceiling in terms of how much he was prepared to invest, whether he is pooping blue lights every night coz he knows how much this club is draining from him every week. Whichever it is, the only debt that is good debt is manageable debt and Derby don't have that at the moment, either for Mel or for an investor.

How we get to manageable is either to increase our earnings (unlikely), decrease our spending (action in progress) or reduce our debt. There ain't no other way and Mel can only really help with one of those - the last one. How much Mel wants to write off and say 'well, I got it all from Candy Crush - easy come easy go' is for him to work out, and at the end of the day it might end up being more than he wants. But nobody coming in is going to inherit our situation unless it makes good business sense to them.

And I fear this is going to be a lot longer and lot more painful than many would wish for.

26 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

This is the problem with the modern fan (and please, I'm not having personal pop at any one person) but they swoosh numbers about like confetti without taking a moment to consider them. "£40m is a good price for this club", "we're worth £60m", "it's only £20m of debt for a club our size, that's nothing" "if we want to compete and be taken seriously this is what is needed". This is more money than everyone on this forum (unless Elon Musk is a secret lurking Ram) put together will ever see and we have all just become totally anaesthetised to this 'we need to spend £10m on a striker' mindset.

Whether Mel is a rich man, whether he was but isn't, whether he has triggered his 'that's enough' personal ceiling in terms of how much he was prepared to invest, whether he is pooping blue lights every night coz he knows how much this club is draining from him every week. Whichever it is, the only debt that is good debt is manageable debt and Derby don't have that at the moment, either for Mel or for an investor.

How we get to manageable is either to increase our earnings (unlikely), decrease our spending (action in progress) or reduce our debt. There ain't no other way and Mel can only really help with one of those - the last one. How much Mel wants to write off and say 'well, I got it all from Candy Crush - easy come easy go' is for him to work out, and at the end of the day it might end up being more than he wants. But nobody coming in is going to inherit our situation unless it makes good business sense to them.

And I fear this is going to be a lot longer and lot more painful than many would wish for.

Good post. 

The way I see it we are up the creek without a paddle without MM  help 

29 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

So you don’t think to buy a club the size of Derby is worth 40 million then when the like if Burnley went for 150 million I think. 40 million and with good recruitment and personnel this club is geared for the premiership. Just needs someone to be able to get us there. Oxford went for near 20 million in league 1 with there restrictions and your saying we aren’t worth more than that 

Just now, Barney1991 said:

So you don’t think to buy a club the size of Derby is worth 40 million then when the like if Burnley went for 150 million I think. 40 million and with good recruitment and personnel this club is geared for the premiership. Just needs someone to be able to get us there. Oxford went for near 20 million in league 1 with there restrictions and your saying we aren’t worth more than that 

Have you considered the EFL charge / points deduction at all 

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Have you considered the EFL charge / points deduction at all 

I know we have that to consider but with the right team put together we could make up 6 points if that’s what it was to be but 12 points I agree is another scenario. What I don’t agree with if the mail is correct that cocus and co wages and Keoghs settlement are to be paid by new owners when Mel sacked them 

34 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

But we now live in a financial climate, despite Covid, where the world has gone mad. I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I heard how much Mayweather and Logan Paul are getting for what is just an exhibition fight, £150 million plus each I think. In the scale of things 60 million for the Rams might seem chicken feed for some big investors who might see some potential in the club. 

1 minute ago, Barney1991 said:

I know we have that to consider but with the right team put together we could make up 6 points if that’s what it was to be but 12 points I agree is another scenario. What I don’t agree with if the nail is correct that cocus and co wages and Keoghs settlement are to be paid by new owners when Mel sacked them 

Good post 

What about the fact their are players out of contract and the squad may be weaker as well next season .

I personally think we will rely on the Academy even more now. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But we now live in a financial climate, despite Covid, where the world has gone mad. I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I heard how much Mayweather and Logan Paul are getting for what is just an exhibition fight, £150 million plus each I think. In the scale of things 60 million for the Rams might seem chicken feed for some big investors who might see some potential in the club. 

Think that’s bad look at the Joshua and fury fight 500 million split and that’s just for starters never mind bonus and everything else and there’s 2 fights planned so even more money 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Good post 

The financial inequalities from the Premier League to the Championship without parachute payments along with crazy FFP in the Championship are almost insurmountable for clubs like Derby .

Something MM has been going on about to the EFL and all they have given him is grief.  

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Think that’s bad look at the Joshua and fury fight 500 million split and that’s just for starters never mind bonus and everything else and there’s 2 fights planned so even more money 

But at least that is a proper fight not basically a joke....

Archived