• one of the best young left backs around
  • matt Clarke back to his PoY best
  • a terrific young midfield talent
  • another Scottish midfield bryson
  • a Polish full international winger
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team
  • a production line of academy stars

so why are we getting smacked by Rotherham?

why are we fighting relegation?

Shinnies good but I don't think he's close to prime Bryson.

CKR has exceeded expectations but let's not get carried away. I certainly wouldn't call him a gem.

I'd say the quality of the squad is around a 6-12 place table finish, which is where we are in the form table since Rooney took over.

Every team in the championship can get beaten heavily by anyone at some point in a season, even the top 2 teams. You have to look at form over 5-10 games to get a good picture of how well there doing.

We're fighting relegation because Cocu got 8 points out of a possible 45 at the start of the season.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Most fans think we have 

• a good goalkeeper
  • a right back who is better than bogle
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team

We currently have no goal scorers that’s why we get so few points it’s simple really

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Consequences of many decisions/actions made by Mel Morris over recent years. It's all finally catching up to us. 

What’s catching and caught up with us is the effect that Sam Rush had in terms of offering contracts that were unaffordable and too long to some very unproductive average footballers with next to no chance of selling them on.

10 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Shinnies good but I don't think he's close to prime Bryson.

CKR has exceeded expectations but let's not get carried away. I certainly wouldn't call him a gem.

I'd say the quality of the squad is around a 6-12 place table finish, which is where we are in the form table since Rooney took over.

Every team in the championship can get beaten heavily by anyone at some point in a season, even the top 2 teams. You have to look at form over 5-10 games to get a good picture of how well there doing.

We're fighting relegation because Cocu got 8 points out of a possible 45 at the start of the season.

Well said.

39 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

so why are we getting smacked by Rotherham? Rotherham are good at making their opponents play a direct style, they have done it to a lot of other sides in the league as well. We were right in the Match until Wisdom switched off from the free kick and then we had to open up and go for it and just got hit on the break with the other goals. We also struggled there when Lampard was in charge and lost that game too.

why are we fighting relegation? Cocu.  If you look at the table since Rooney's been in charge we are around the play off spots. 

Play offs form under Rooney is a myth.

F8153318-CF1D-4373-BE88-997C6CC7E306.thumb.jpeg.c134221811ceae3a5f5ef1672a1cb1ff.jpeg 

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

Partly agree with that, but i think it's more of a creativity problem.

We could create 100 clear cut chances a game but if the ball isn’t put away it’s fairly certain that we don’t score - sure create more chances but we need to score - Malone playing left wing back at Millwall has scored 4 goals this season I think ( no idea on assists) compare that to say Lawrence who has scored zero with zero assists - I even think Malone here could have done the same here and I don’t particularly rate him but he does get his shots on target. 

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Why is it?  According to that table we are only 3 points off being in the play offs.

Also, why only look at the last 6 games? I was referring to since Rooney has been in charge

I take your point but come on, we are not a play off team.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We could create 100 clear cut chances a game but if the ball isn’t put away it’s fairly certain that we don’t score - sure create more chances but we need to score - Malone playing left wing back at Millwall has scored 4 goals this season I think ( no idea on assists) compare that to say Lawrence who has scored zero with zero assists - I even think Malone here could have done the same here and I don’t particularly rate him but he does get his shots on target. 

True, you do always need someone to put the ball in the net. However, if we are only creating 2 or 3 genuine chances per game then you need someone who's absolutely clinical in order to score. If we create 15-20 per game then you back a player to score much easier. 

You can't compare Malone and Lawrence at all. Completely different players, different managers, different teams, different formations, different clubs, Malone had more game time, different positions, etc, etc. 

Yes you can say Lawrence has 0 goals & assists this season, but how many appearances has he actually had under Rooney? I would say probably less than 4 or 5.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Really?

Yes.

People exaggerate our performances and give no mind to the players available under Cocu and increasing speculation about his job  based around his captain.

There was a graph on here the other day that showed the biggest negative impact on the team as a player was Rooney, the two best positives Bielik and CKR. 

I am not criticising Rooney as manager and I have plenty of respect for how he has handled this difficult situation.

No one can prove it either way though. Anyway.

I don't believe we will get relegated, I never did.

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

Yes.

People exaggerate our performances and give no mind to the players available under Cocu and increasing speculation about his job  based around his captain.

There was a graph on here the other day that showed the biggest negative impact on the team as a player was Rooney, the two best positives Bielik and CKR. 

I am not criticising Rooney as manager and I have plenty of respect for how he has handled this difficult situation.

No one can prove it either way though. Anyway.

I don't believe we will get relegated, I never did.

If Rooney was so bad for the team, it's Cocu's job to drop him

There just haven't been enough goals across this whole team. CKR's return is actually reasonably respectable (if unremarkable) but apart from the freak result at Birmingham where several players chipped in, the goals return has been very poor. We badly need goals spreading around and it's not just a lack of any serious contribution from wingers or midfield either. As far as I can see we have had zero goals from defenders all season. In the normal run of things you'd expect at least the odd goal from central defenders at set pieces surely ? Both our fullbacks are quite attack minded too.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Most fans think we have 

• a good goalkeeper
  • a right back who is better than bogle
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team

We lost to Rotherham because for the last decade we've been recruiting players to play expansive football. We have for many years been vulnerable to a high press. Rotherham played the perfect game to counter our strengths and exploit our weaknesses.

At this point it is not a big deal. The real problem will come if every team follows Rotherham's blueprint.

We are fighting relegation because Cocu was a very poor choice of manager and it's taking Rooney (as it would anyone) a while to recover our league position.

Archived