New management team required - NOW

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Cocu had a messed up pre season last season due to having to take over Lampard’s half finished plan and had a reduced one this year because of Covid. 

The several (3) windows Cocu had were the one last season where plans were already put in place and other than Bielik and Clarke on loan we had some desperate loan signings in Dowell and Paterson, a Jan transfer window where we were under a soft embargo because of the failed FFP EFL case, and wasn't able to sign anyone worthwhile under the embargo restrictions (Rooney deal was completed before the embargo). He also had last summer's window where we managed to get Clarke back, Marshall, Byrne, CKR and Jozwiak but only after selling Bogle and Lowe. 

How is it that it is still Cocu's fault that we are still in a relegation battle? Rooney has had almost 3 times the amount of games that Cocu did. 

Sorry pal I'm not sure the logic in that. One I didn't say it was Cocus fault, I was merely replying to the point that the poster referred to the football being like Cocus and I said WR hasn't had the time to bring his own players in to play his brand of football.

Secondly though, if Cocu had all then problems and was an excuse for our league position, did then problems suddenly disappear when Rooney took over ?

And lastly, points per game, under Rooney we would be well clear of the drop zone by now had he been in charge all season would we not ?

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You never publically humiliate a subordinate, it's the sign of a weak cowardly manager. 

I learned that from my first boss when he was pissed off about something he'd take me outside of the fire exit or somewhere similar and then give me the hairdryer speech then we'd go back in he would make sure it was never, ever Infront of anyone else especially one of my peers. 

I know things have moved on from this dinosaur management tool but the sentiment remains very valid. 

As I said, Pep, Jose, the best do it, just because one way works for you doesn't mean it's the best way for others.

If I do my job wrong I get publicly shamed, I'd also probably get sacked if I continue to do it. Football is nothing like what we do though, so IMO no comparison.

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Sorry pal I'm not sure the logic in that. One I didn't say it was Cocus fault, I was merely replying to the point that the poster referred to the football being like Cocus and I said WR hasn't had the time to bring his own players in to play his brand of football.

Secondly though, if Cocu had all then problems and was an excuse for our league position, did then problems suddenly disappear when Rooney took over ?

And lastly, points per game, under Rooney we would be well clear of the drop zone by now had he been in charge all season would we not ?

PPG we would have 8 points more and be sitting 13th but football doesn't work like that. Who is to say that we wouldn't have achieved 4 points had Rooney been in charge for the first 11 games or 30 points? 

I was merely pointing out that when you said that Cocu had preseason, and several windows to get the team how he wanted and the players that he wanted that he didn't really have that chance. Let me reverse the question to you, how can Rooney be given the excuse of not having a proper transfer window and lack of preseason for the turgid football that has been mostly served up yet Cocu didn't get the same? 

You said we were heading for relegation under Cocu, so whilst we aren't clear of relegation it gave me the impression that you believe it to be more Cocu's fault than Rooney's. Apologies if that wasn't what you meant. But there are still people that blame and call Cocu for our predicament. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

How is it that it is still Cocu's fault that we are still in a relegation battle? Rooney has had almost 3 times the amount of games that Cocu did. 

Because it's harder to get out of one than in to one!

Cocu had money to spend, when Rooney has bought in some players and had a pre-season, etc then we'll know what he can do. It seems like he has much more idea of what is needed to compete in this league than Cocu ever did.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because it's harder to get out of one than in to one! ?

Cocu had money to spend, when Rooney has bought in some players and had a pre-season, etc then we'll know what he can do. It seems like he has much more idea of what is needed to compete in this league than Cocu ever did.

Based on what? 

3 hours ago, Eaststander7 said:

Why isn’t he? He’s done a good job so far for me....are you forgetting we were rock bottom with 6 points when he took over the reigns from cocu??

We were joint bottom, and 2 points from safety. We were only 11 games in. It's not unthinkable he could have turned it around with a fit Bielik. Try to include context. 

9 hours ago, Eaststander7 said:

Anyone hear 606 last night with Sutton and savage?? A Derby fan by the name of Adrian called in to say Rooney has to go at the end of the season no matter what....

Have you heard yourself? I mean everyone is entitled to an opinion but give me strength.... #embarrassing ?

How embarrassing, a Derby fan wanting more than awful football and a relegation battle. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

We were joint bottom, and 2 points from safety. We were only 11 games in. It's not unthinkable he could have turned it around with a fit Bielik. Try to include context. 

But no doubt Bielik would have had to wait until he found the right rhythm (like Clarke) and been fully, fully fit (like CKR) and then been dropped after a good display because we were setting up differently to negate the opposition. But yeah it's not unthinkable, just excessively unlikely! 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

But no doubt Bielik would have had to wait until he found the right rhythm (like Clarke) and been fully, fully fit (like CKR) and then been dropped after a good display because we were setting up differently to negate the opposition. But yeah it's not unthinkable, just excessively unlikely! 

Not even unlikely. Probable, as far as I'm concerned. Rooney has set up to negate opponents just as much as Cocu, and I'd imagine if you think otherwise it's the confirmation bias talking.

Just now, Andicis said:

Not even unlikely. Probable, as far as I'm concerned. Rooney has set up to negate opponents just as much as Cocu, and I'd imagine if you think otherwise it's the confirmation bias talking.

He's having to do it to get us out of the poo Cocu left us in. Next season, then we'll see. It'll be reasonable to make similar comments then.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He's having to do it to get us out of the poo Cocu left us in. Next season, then we'll see. It'll be reasonable to make similar comments then.

He's had to manage negatively for a full season because we were 2 points adrift after 11 games? 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

A majority of it, then. Doesn't change the point. We had a huge amount of games played since Rooney took over, why has the football not improved?

Because the squad hasn't.

I assume you're expecting Rooney to 'work wonders and poo miracles'? Look at Waghorn, why has he been mostly crap all season? We've limited attacking/creative resources and you want 'Barcelona'? ?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because the squad hasn't.

I assume you're expecting Rooney to 'work wonders and poo miracles'? Look at Waghorn, why has he been mostly crap all season? We've limited attacking/creative resources and you want 'Barcelona'? ?

It's the Championship. Barnsley are 5th in the league. You don't actually need to have a ''Barcelona'' squad to play alright football, most teams in this division aren't very good. I remember when Cocu got this squad 10th, it's not worse now, yet look where we are? I don't expect miracles, just signs of progression and to be entertained sometimes. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Really?! I think it most certainly is.

How so? We lost Martin, Bogle and Lowe. Bogle has been adequately replaced by Byrne, Buchanan has replaced Lowe. Martin is probably better than Kazim-Richards, but not the difference between 10th and 19th. 

Archived