A Bright Future?

Comrade 86

Most of players you have mentioned such as Lowe,Bogle,Hendrick,Hughes didn't get a chance to develop here because they were mostly sold at a 'relatively' young age through economic necessity or at the behest of the then management. 

We like many other clubs of similar size and economic capacity are a fertile ground for club to pick up our 'better/emerging talent'. i.e. as seen with Gorden at present.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/01/2021 at 16:17, sage said:

So Hughes and Hendrick stagnated?

Do you not think? 

Hendrick hadn't vastly improved and was still agonisingly inconsistent when we sold him. 

Hughes for all his ability never added regular  chance creation or goals to his game. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 11:31, Ghost of Clough said:

I figured I would revisit this thread and provide an update. @86 Hair Islands started this thread with a graph of minutes given to teenagers vs teenagers used, whereas I'm doing minutes given to players 21 and under vs academy player minutes, and Championship only. It also isn't as colourful ?

It's interesting to note the top two clubs (Derby & Blackburn) are the 2 teams in PL2 Div1, with 4 of the next 5 in PL2 Div 2 (the other being Swansea who stepped down from Cat 1 this season). 
Derby currently rank 3rd for both minutes given to U21 players and minutes given to academy graduates

image.thumb.png.393da101d621ec0b83c50bd81d7b699b.png

1 month has passed, so here's an update on this:

974336876_u21vsacad.thumb.png.22a5973154462ffb3b2e5c33c943bde8.png

Not much has really changed. Bristol the biggest mover having used younger player since their mini injury crisis.

One thing to not is that in the 2nd instance, academy minutes exclude players to have left in January whereas U21 minutes includes them (it was easier and quicker for me to do it this way). Some players have since turned 22 so are now excluded from the U21 minutes.

We're now in the lead for minutes given to players currently 21 or younger, and 2nd for minutes given to academy graduates.

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2021 at 11:56, Ghost of Clough said:

1 month has passed, so here's an update on this:

974336876_u21vsacad.thumb.png.22a5973154462ffb3b2e5c33c943bde8.png

Not much has really changed. Bristol the biggest mover having used younger player since their mini injury crisis.

One thing to not is that in the 2nd instance, academy minutes exclude players to have left in January whereas U21 minutes includes them (it was easier and quicker for me to do it this way). Some players have since turned 22 so are now excluded from the U21 minutes.

We're now in the lead for minutes given to players currently 21 or younger, and 2nd for minutes given to academy graduates.

Time for a bit of an update?

I can't be bothered with putting the club badges in, so boring names will have to do.

image.thumb.png.e4177263d264af8b92982e4522393be8.png

Note: some players have since turned 22 and no longer count towards the '%U21 minutes' stat.

@Ghost of Clough.. Thanks for this it really makes interesting reading. But for Covid we might well have seen our P and L improve considerably and the squad being built in a sustainable fashion .. keep some and sell others for a good wack. In a sense I am sure that was where Mel wanted to go. Covid, The EFL and perhaps his own health have put a spoke in the wheels.  
I say Covid because its double edge has cut us twice.. the model of selling young players at a decent price is difficult because most clubs are in the same mess so Income from both match days and player sales (where I suspect we would have been high earners in relative terms ) have slumped. 

Archived