Radio Derby in upswing

TuffLuff

Now Eric Steele is doing the analysis I actually listen to the moan in and past match podcasts. 
it’s so nice to have some one talking who actually knows what they’re talking about and can articulate their thoughts properly. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I’m all for a bit of passion, but I think Dawes forgets his responsibility as a commentator and broadcaster. Whenever I go to a game and put Radio Derby on after the match, the opinions of those at the game tend to differ from those who listened in, with those listening often being far more negative. 

Dawes will often tell you something is rubbish, or the team is awful but will rarely tell you why. So you often get situations like:

’Thats an awful pass from Rooney. Brentford have it. He’s having poor game again!’ instead of ‘Rooney, passes it square looking for Bird, that’s under hit, and Watkins has nicked it away for Brentford.’

Both explain the same poor pass, but the former has no information of why it was poor, or what he was trying to do. As a listener I can make my own mind up as to a player’s performance from good commentary. By all means be excited when Derby score, and it’s okay to demand more of the team, but when I’m getting his shouted commentary telling me how awful the team is for 90 minutes it becomes too much and definitely goes past being ‘passionate’. 

They should be at the games instead of listening to it lol

joking joking lol 

8 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Having listened to other local radio sport types, Radio Derby is one of the better ones. I remember listening to BBC Manchester for some Bolton reaction once. Painful. Think BBC Sheffield were pretty decent when I lived up there.

But be glad that Derby is the biggest team our local radio does. Couldn't put up with somewhere like London or the aforementioned Manchester where you'd be lucky to get 5 minutes in.

Imagine being a Burton Albion fan!

They may get a mention once a fortnight now Bucko is in charge, which is an improvement.

I think it depends what you want from your local radio commentary. My mum really enjoys radio Derby due to the passion involved with the commentary whereas it often frustrates me when i do listen in. I notice when i go, I often end up giving a very different picture to the commentary team 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived