Radio Derby in upswing

TuffLuff

I thought it was best to move on from the old thread and any thought of the old set up. I hereby request we ban any mention of the word ‘Ramage’ past this point.

——————
A really good listen tonight and worth having a look for it if you didn’t catch it live, Steele and Coles covered every Derby talking point with great insight, good examples and in-depth knowledge that’s a pleasure to listen to. To be honest it’s a privilege to be able to listen to someone of Steele’s experience for an hour a week talk about football, and  the callers are mostly sensible now!

Its staggering how much Steele has improved Radio Derbys output, so much so I’m now regularly listening to Radio Derby  before and after games again. It’s clear that Chris Coles is enjoying the discussions and I think Ed Dawes has taken a lot from him too.

We all praise RamsTv and rightfully so, but we should be able to give our local press a thumbs up too when they get it right and Radio Derby have their role spot on at the minute

Here’s a link for tonight: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jbrxj

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Saturday Steele painted excellent word pictures about what was going on on the field of play.

There was none of the previous "Rams can do no wrong, ref's an idiot and the other team are rubbish" type commentary.

The analyses were spot on and we moved on with the pace of the game.

OK we lost but I felt I'd had my money's worth with the live audio. Vast improvement!

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

He’s a great character is Steele. No flaws and pretty un-besmirched. In short, stainless Steele <drum, drum, cymbals>. 

If I remember correctly when Mark Lawrenson was interviewed by RAMS TV about his time with Eric at Brighton he let slip that Erics nickname down there was stainless.

1 minute ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Disagree. Maybe unpopular opinion but steele bores me. 

He is very analytical and I agree it's mechanical in delivery. May be a bit unfair for me to judge this season, as without crowd noise it's sterile anyway.  He does keep Dawes in check when he starts screaming about throw ins on the halfway line. Also found with Ramage he was constantly taking the piss and trying to flex intellect.  I do like the fact I don't have to listen to that anymore.

The problem with Radio Derby is the commentary provided by Ed Dawes. He has got a little better since Steele came in, but he still spends too much time shouting like someone in the stands. Too many times do you just hear him shout ‘that’s rubbish Derby!’, without explaining what it is that was ‘rubbish’. Tell me what is going on and let me decide if it’s rubbish. He’s very hyperbolic and it makes it really hard to understand what is happening in matches, for me a radio commentator is there to give me the pictures I cannot see to make an informed opinion, not spend the whole game shouting theirs. 

I’m a big fan of having Eric Steele as part of the team, he offers measured analysis which gives you the negatives and positives of a performance. It’s no coincidence that since he has come in the phone ins have calmed down a bit. I’d like someone to come onto commentary who is able to better narrate the game and leave Eric to the analysis, this may lead to less quotable moments, but I think would take the overall coverage up a level.  

13 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Its staggering how much Steele has improved Radio Derbys output, so much so I’m now regularly listening to Radio Derby  before and after games again. It’s clear that Chris Coles is enjoying the discussions and I think Ed Dawes has taken a lot from him too.

We all praise RamsTv and rightfully so, but we should be able to give our local press a thumbs up too when they get it right and Radio Derby have their role spot on at the minute

Here’s a link for tonight: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jbrxj

Just listened, thanks. A reasonably interesting program. Big shout-out for Chris Coles, he’s an excellent presenter, knowledgeable too.

29 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

The problem with Radio Derby is the commentary provided by Ed Dawes. He has got a little better since Steele came in, but he still spends too much time shouting like someone in the stands. Too many times do you just hear him shout ‘that’s rubbish Derby!’, without explaining what it is that was ‘rubbish’. Tell me what is going on and let me decide if it’s rubbish. He’s very hyperbolic and it makes it really hard to understand what is happening in matches, for me a radio commentator is there to give me the pictures I cannot see to make an informed opinion, not spend the whole game shouting theirs. 

I’m a big fan of having Eric Steele as part of the team, he offers measured analysis which gives you the negatives and positives of a performance. It’s no coincidence that since he has come in the phone ins have calmed down a bit. I’d like someone to come onto commentary who is able to better narrate the game and leave Eric to the analysis, this may lead to less quotable moments, but I think would take the overall coverage up a level.  

I don’t mind the fact that Dawes gets a little irate or over excited ..... i want tiny local teams commentator to have that passion 

agree with many that steel has calmed him down a bit and we certainly don’t get that tit for tat that we did with ramage that was oh so annoying 

although that said I liked ramages passion and actually thought he did get it right more often than not 

Having listened to other local radio sport types, Radio Derby is one of the better ones. I remember listening to BBC Manchester for some Bolton reaction once. Painful. Think BBC Sheffield were pretty decent when I lived up there.

But be glad that Derby is the biggest team our local radio does. Couldn't put up with somewhere like London or the aforementioned Manchester where you'd be lucky to get 5 minutes in.

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I don’t mind the fact that Dawes gets a little irate or over excited ..... i want tiny local teams commentator to have that passion 

agree with many that steel has calmed him down a bit and we certainly don’t get that tit for tat that we did with ramage that was oh so annoying 

although that said I liked ramages passion and actually thought he did get it right more often than not 

I’m all for a bit of passion, but I think Dawes forgets his responsibility as a commentator and broadcaster. Whenever I go to a game and put Radio Derby on after the match, the opinions of those at the game tend to differ from those who listened in, with those listening often being far more negative. 

Dawes will often tell you something is rubbish, or the team is awful but will rarely tell you why. So you often get situations like:

’Thats an awful pass from Rooney. Brentford have it. He’s having poor game again!’ instead of ‘Rooney, passes it square looking for Bird, that’s under hit, and Watkins has nicked it away for Brentford.’

Both explain the same poor pass, but the former has no information of why it was poor, or what he was trying to do. As a listener I can make my own mind up as to a player’s performance from good commentary. By all means be excited when Derby score, and it’s okay to demand more of the team, but when I’m getting his shouted commentary telling me how awful the team is for 90 minutes it becomes too much and definitely goes past being ‘passionate’. 

4 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I’m all for a bit of passion, but I think Dawes forgets his responsibility as a commentator and broadcaster. Whenever I go to a game and put Radio Derby on after the match, the opinions of those at the game tend to differ from those who listened in, with those listening often being far more negative. 

Dawes will often tell you something is rubbish, or the team is awful but will rarely tell you why. So you often get situations like:

Thats an awful pass from Rooney. Brentford have it. He’s having poor game again!’ instead of ‘Rooney, passes it square looking for Bird, that’s under hit, and Watkins has nicked it away for Brentford.’

Both explain the same poor pass, but the former has no information of why it was poor, or what he was trying to do. As a listener I can make my own mind up as to a player’s performance from good commentary. By all means be excited when Derby score, and it’s okay to demand more of the team, but when I’m getting his shouted commentary telling me how awful the team is for 90 minutes it becomes too much and definitely goes past being ‘passionate’. 

Yes there’s a difference between a poor pass (massively over- or underhit or putting a player under pressure) and one which on leaving the boot looked a good pass but which was rendered inaccurate by the receiving player darting off in a different direction or being sloppy in receiving it.

That’s the type of insight Dawes lacks.

Archived