Wage Bill

Jram

Hi all, hope you’re well. I was wondering if anyone had any information about the club’s finances at the moment, particularly the wage bill? I saw something about wages being 160% of the club’s revenue a couple of years ago but surely this has changed?

I appreciate some people find this talk boring but I’d take any information, even wild speculation!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Jram said:

Hi all, hope you’re well. I was wondering if anyone had any information about the club’s finances at the moment, particularly the wage bill? I saw something about wages being 160% of the club’s revenue a couple of years ago but surely this has changed?

I appreciate some people find this talk boring but I’d take any information, even wild speculation!

Just looking at the squad a couple of years ago to the one we have now (no more Keogh, Johnson, Butterfield, Bent, Weimann, Vydra, Nugent, Ledley etc.), I expect there's been a considerable saving on wages.

One would expect a further saving coming at the end of the month when Anya and Huddlestone's contracts are up as they are (reportedly) 2 of the top 5 earners in the squad.

3 hours ago, Jram said:

In the last accounts filed at Companies House (year ended 30th June 2018) the wage bill was £40m compared to turnover of £29m.

We have nearly had 2 seasons since then but dont think it will have changed much since then.

Think next season could see a vast reduction of the wage bill Anya, Thorne, Keogh, Huddlestone and maybe Martin...I'd guess we are looking at 20% of the wage bill right there.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

In the last accounts filed at Companies House (year ended 30th June 2018) the wage bill was £40m compared to turnover of £29m.

We have nearly had 2 seasons since then but dont think it will have changed much since then.

Think next season could see a vast reduction of the wage bill Anya, Thorne, Keogh, Huddlestone and maybe Martin...I'd guess we are looking at 20% of the wage bill right there.

hi mate,  hope you are ok, not seen you post for a while 

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

All good thanks, are you ok? Think forum rules prohibit me from discussing my 'absence' ?

ah I see, yeah I'm good thanks.  

Cheers guys, it’s weird but I’m sometimes as invested in tbe club being run well as I am in on the pitch success which, judging by most on this forum, is true of a lot of us

love the academy doing well and players coming into the first team and would love to see the club being sustainably run and getting the wage bill down in 

1 minute ago, Jram said:

Cheers guys, it’s weird but I’m sometimes as invested in tbe club being run well as I am in on the pitch success which, judging by most on this forum, is true of a lot of us

love the academy doing well and players coming into the first team and would love to see the club being sustainably run and getting the wage bill down in 

What do you mean by sustainably though?

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He means using solar panels, wind turbines and composting toilets.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

No what I mean is a club that sustains itself i.e produces enough revenue (through producing and selling youth, which we appear to be excelling at, or merchandising and ticket sales or sponsorship etc) so that we can keep ourselves effectively by buying players when necessary, maintaining the academy, improving the stadium etc 

I think Mel is doing a Good job of building towards that 

8 minutes ago, Jram said:

No what I mean is a club that sustains itself i.e produces enough revenue (through producing and selling youth, which we appear to be excelling at, or merchandising and ticket sales or sponsorship etc) so that we can keep ourselves effectively by buying players when necessary, maintaining the academy, improving the stadium etc 

It's a very hard balancing act. You wont find too many teams that have been promoted using a sustainable model.

You need someone with an eye for cheap signings or someone good at bringing youth through, unfortunately too many fans want instant success so not many teams seem to stick with the models.

20 minutes ago, Jram said:

We haven't yet done THAT well from selling youth. Most of ours in recent seasons have gone for very little. I'm not including hughes and Hendrick as they were 1st team players with several seasons experience when we sold them. 

5 hours ago, Jram said:

18/19 accounts should be out within the next week so we’ll have a better idea very soon. For now, 17/18 is the starting point.

Revenue won’t be far off the same. Rams TV, the Rooney sponsorship deal, a few other increases and we may be at about £32m now.

Wages 17/18 = £40.5m. 
Since those accounts were released to where we’ll be at the end of this season, these’ll be the ins and outs...
Transfers in - Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Malone, Holmes, Evans, Bielik, Shinnie, Rooney
Transfers out - Jerome (1/2), Russell (1/2), Vydra, Weimann, Shackell, Baird, Ledley, Bent, Hanson, Nugent, Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield, Pearce, Blackman, Thorne, Olsson, Keogh, Anya

At a rough guess, we’re very close to wages having dropped to equal to or lower than revenue. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

18/19 accounts should be out within the next week so we’ll have a better idea very soon. For now, 17/18 is the starting point.

Revenue won’t be far off the same. Rams TV, the Rooney sponsorship deal, a few other increases and we may be at about £32m now.

Wages 17/18 = £40.5m. 
Since those accounts were released to where we’ll be at the end of this season, these’ll be the ins and outs...
Transfers in - Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Malone, Holmes, Evans, Bielik, Shinnie, Rooney
Transfers out - Jerome (1/2), Russell (1/2), Vydra, Weimann, Shackell, Baird, Ledley, Bent, Hanson, Nugent, Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield, Pearce, Blackman, Thorne, Olsson, Keogh, Anya

At a rough guess, we’re very close to wages having dropped to equal to or lower than revenue. 

Anya only just gone so there's a full year of his wages in this year's turnover.

32 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We haven't yet done THAT well from selling youth. Most of ours in recent seasons have gone for very little. I'm not including hughes and Hendrick as they were 1st team players with several seasons experience when we sold them. 

I think, if I remember rightly, a lot of the young lads we sold had decent sell on fees (15-25%) 

you never know, Vernam or whoever might end up being sold on for 25 million ?? we can dream 

Archived